just4fn

Pan under the turkey?

I'm going to spatchcock my turkey this year.  I want gravy!  Can I put a pan underneath with vegetables,spices chicken broth to catch the drippings on top of the stone?  I don't know because I don't want to steam the bird on the bottom.  Should I or shouldn't I?

Definitely! Meathead's recipe at amazingribs.com recommends this very thing and I have done it the last two years! 

Fantastic! 

Put the spine in there and the stuff from in the turkey as well. I doubt it needs spices but onions and celery, wine, apple cider, etc! 

Yes, absolutely need some extra moisture in there, don't want to dry out the turkey.  Put the spine, neck, and giblets in the pan as well they'll add some nice flavors.

2 hours ago, ChiTownBull said:

do you need to raise the pan off the heat deflectors? if not, wont the liquid in the boil and evaporate?

I would raise the drip pan so that there is an air space between it and the deflector. It will help to keep the

drippings from drying out or burning in the pan.

I did exactly that on Saturday and still had carbonized veggies and liquid on the bottom of the pan.  Tonight I am doing a spatchcock hybrid (back removed but semi-closed with a rack on top of the grill) with a heat deflector with no drip pan - extra flavor from juices dripping on the coals.

D5F5EC9D-FB34-46D5-9190-E6B8C88434A0.jpeg

A pan filled with veggies under a bird is one of my favorite cooks. I have cooked countless chickens like that, however, never a turkey. I beg each year to be able to put a veggie pan beneath our turkey, but am voted down, with the others in favor of mashed potatoes, yams, stuffing, and more traditional sides. Just set a deflector low and then use copper elbows  to create an air space between the ceramic and the bottom of your pan, that way stuff won't have a tendency to fry and burn. My favorite pan is an enameled Lodge cast-iron brasier. Use some chicken broth and keep some with to you to add during the cook as some will evaporate during the cook.Here are some pics from  a recent chicken cook. To prevent the bird from steaming, as you mentioned, I like a good amount of space between the pan and the bottom of the bird sitting on  the main grate. Pretty much any veggie mix will work. My favorite includes heirloom carrots, sweet onions, celery, orange wedges, apple wedges, and sweet Italian sausage meat balls. after the cook you can pull the veggies an then stir a little flour into the broth and drippings to thicken it for a nice sauce  / gravy. 

IMG_0439.thumb.jpeg.d3c23b2ef49eb930fc57d700dbab45f4.jpeg

IMG_0436.thumb.jpeg.cc1630b4e2cceedf1e5ce77948a7d1b6.jpeg

IMG_0438.thumb.jpeg.8b22aba9e2b06e8487756b7233e93e68.jpeg

5 hours ago, ChiTownBull said:

do you need to raise the pan off the heat deflectors? if not, wont the liquid in the boil and evaporate?

Can't hurt. 

After seeing them used on Kamado Guru I recently got four 90° copper tubing elbows to place on my CI griddle/deflector. I have used them twice to support my water pan and they work well. I might get a couple more since I use tin pans and they could use extra support with the extra weight of the gravy fixings. I may build a rectangular frame out of them. 

Of course, you still need to be ready to add liquid during the cook. 

31 minutes ago, keeperovdeflame said:

A pan filled with veggies under a bird is one of my favorite cooks. I have cooked countless chickens like that, however, never a turkey. I beg each year to be able to put a veggie pan beneath our turkey, but am voted down, with the others in favor of mashed potatoes, yams, stuffing, and more traditional sides. 

So, the other sides go under the turkey? 

Here's my thread from last year, not spatchcocked but one of the responses was from someone who did successfully. I had decided to swear off using the drip pan for gravy but now that it's three days away I'm tempted to try again with a smaller pan and less liquid.

7 hours ago, ChiTownBull said:

Do you have enough room to put it in a pan on a raised rack (inside the pan)? Though this might not work with spatchhcocking?

Yes but barely.  I have a Primo XL. With the stones as low as they can go and the rack as high.  I can get a 2 inch pan under it with a little space on top of the stone. I thought about using the upper rack but I dont think the lid would close with a 16lb turkey on top. 

9 minutes ago, just4fn said:

So do you eat the veggies or just for the broth?  Maybe blend them and add to the gravy?  Wow so many options!

Meathead recommends straining the liquid and using it as gravy. It is great! 

But you need space between the liquid and the bird. 

I am certain keeperovdeflame is talking about eating the veggies as a side.