just4fn

Pan under the turkey?

I have seen some people put the spatchcoked turkey in a cookie sheet type of pan that is filled with vegetables vs using a drip pan underneath the bird.

any thoughts on which of the two might work out better?

im about to cut my bird open and try a dry brine. I haven’t used a dry bribe before but there always has to be a first time for everything!

Like most things there are many ways to get things done. They're different, not necessarily wrong. 

It would seem that the best way to get the bird cooked is to have it exposed to the heat and not shielded by a pan. 

If you do have a pan beneath it, it needs to be at least three inches underneath or it can steam the lower part of the bird. 

I have used this method successfully twice, first whole bird and the second spatchcocked. I am going spatchcocked this year. It cooks quickly and evenly. 

I did both dry brined. Just make certain that you are happy with the herb combination and get it up under the skin of the entire bird. 

Good Luck! 

It's pretty difficult to go wrong, no worries! 

So I am going to do a brined bird whole at 275. It will take 4-5 hours to cook a 14lb turkey at that temp. I will put a pan underneath it but with a 3 inch gap.

I will use two probes 1 in breast and 1 in thigh. The breast will be tented with triangular shaped piece of tin to keep direct heat off of it for at least the first 1.5 hours. I will be trying to raise the dark meat above the white meat 8 to 12 degrees. When that happens or towards the end of the cook 2-3 hours I will remove the breast shield and continue to cook.

To increase fat content and add flavor the skin under the thighs and breast will be stuffed with an herb butter. If all goes as planned there will be drippings, but no gravy will be wanted or needed for the bird. I will have a gravy only for tradition purposes and possibly stuffing.

My recommendation is focus on keeping the turkey moist and flavorful and forget about catching drippings. Deflecting the heat is what the pan is for. The whole drippings for gravy is like going to war only to cherish the scars.

Sounds like a fantastic plan! 

The broth/gravy from the pan worked well for me. It's not traditional gravy and it's very moistening. Sorry if that word offends. 

This is a spatchcocked 13lb turkey on a Large BGE. The L BGE is pretty much equal size to a KJ Classic and a Vision B or Pro Model if that helps. I use one of those inch and half to two inch aluminum drip pans and bend it to fit. I use kiln blocks to make an air space between my deflector stone and the bottom of the drip pan.