Meater+ Wireless Probe

Struja

A few months back, my brother-in-law purchased this Meater+ wirelss probe for me.  You can find more information about this product at their website here:  https://meater.com/meaterplus

I have been waiting to review this item but wanted to get at least 6-10 cooks under my belt before I reviewed it and gave my thoughts.  First... some of the specs...

• 165ft Long Range Model: 100% WIRE-FREE.
  • 2 Sensors, 1 Probe: Dual temperature sensors can monitor internal meat temperature up to 212°F and ambient / external temperature up to 527°F simultaneously.
  • Estimator Algorithm: Can estimate how long to cook and rest your food to help plan your meal and manage your time.
  • Connectivity Suite: Monitor your cook from a phone, tablet, Alexa, computer, over Bluetooth, WiFi, or the MEATER Cloud for the best wireless range.

On paper, this seems like the perfect device.  I also own a host of other temperature type probes...  I have:

1.  Weber iGrill

2.  Flame Boss 400

3.  Thermo Works ThermoPop (or as I like to say... Ol' Faithful)

What the Meater+ offers that really sets it apart is that it is wireless. I also think the app that is a free download is an excellent app (much better than both the iGrill and Flame Boss - IMO). However, that's where the good news ends.  In almost every other way, the Meater+ is a bust (for me).  I don't know if I have a defective model or what the situation is but the folks at Meater can't seem to give me a right answer.

This past Saturday I was doing a Prime Rib roast.  I put the Meater Probe in the meat and I also put the FB400 probe in it.  The Meater has been showing a temp much hotter than all of my other thermometers in the past but this weekend was wild.  

Both probes started in the high 50's but before long, the Meater was reading 7F hotter than the FB400.  After 45 minutes, the Meater was 20F hotter than FB400.  At 1 hour and 30 minutes, the Meater said the Roast was done at 130F.  The FB400 was at 90F.  So, there was NO way I believed that the Roast was done that quicky (8lb roast at 275F), so I brought out Ol' Faithful (the Thermopop) and confirmed the FB400 was spot on.  

So, I figured... maybe the Meater was in some fat giving the wrong reading.  I changed the position and each time I changed, I would get even a higher reading (I believe the highest I got was 145F).  Out of sheer frustration, I pulled it out and gave up on it.    I didn't check it in boiling water but maybe mine is just defective, but being 40F off for an internal temp is just not acceptable.  

The next area of frustration is that if you don't clean the probe as "good as new" after every use, it will NOT connect to the box (and then subsquently to your phone).  This is annoying.  I had connectivity issues with it and they said "well did you clean it well" and my instinct was to respond "of course".  Unfortunately, "clean it well" means, that you need an abrasive sponge with baking soda and vinegar and if the square top of the probe is not as  shiny and new as the day you bought it, it is cleaned properly.  Good old Dawn doesn't seem to do the trick.  This little device requires a lot of elbow grease to ensure functionality.  Maybe my other probes do as well, but so far they haven't required nearly as much work.  

I will be reaching out to Meater today to see if I might just have a defective unit, but at this point, I cannot recommend this product.

So, now I am more baffled than ever.

I couldn't do the full "boiling water" test but I did bring water to a boil the the probe showed a temp of 208 and climbing (before getting a warning that any higher heat would damage the probe) so I pulled it out.

The only other explanation I have for the problems with the internal temp is that on the Meater+ website it says that the temperature gauge is half way between the bottom and the "notch" in the middle of the probe.  It is possible that I did not have the probe deep enough and was getting a reading that was more along the outer edge of the roast, which would have been hotter.  I still don't think it would account for a 40F difference though.  That's just way too much. 

The other threads on here about the meater+ probe indicate the same issues as yours... Also the heat from the outside of the joint travels down the probe and gives you an incorrect internal reading. They are best for the occasional rotisserie cook, along with a few checks with an instant read to verify what's actually going on.