Slow n sear - fire location safe for ceramic body?

Freddie Grylls

Hi,

New to the forum.  I am looking to purchase a kamado after years of occasional having to fix my GMG (great customer service btw).

The slow and sear deluxe kamado has really caught my attention.  It seems to be the perfect size with a ton of included accessories.  My only concern is that will the location of the slow n sear cause premature failure of the main body of the ceramic?  I thought the purpose of the firebox on a traditional kamado was to provide air to the charcoal and keep the heat off the main body of the ceramic?  Act as a sacrificial lamb in you will.  Anyways, would be interested to hear from any gurus. 

Pricing in Canada is a little different than in the USA.  I have three options coming in around the same price point:

1. KJ Classic 3

2. Slow N Sear Deluxe Kamado

3. Primo Round + Weber Kettle + Slow N Sear 2.0 + Accessories + Money for a brisket.

Thanks, Fred

• 6 months later...
14 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

I don't think it will hurt anything.  The fire in the SnS basket will never be big enough to damage the outer shell.

What about the fire on one side, and cooler on the other?... I would think, different rates of expansion and contractions, could cause cracks?.... I've got 2 old RJ Kamados, but don't do 2- Zone cooking... My son does in his old offset... Anyone have experience with all three Kamados?

Butch

12 minutes ago, ButchW said:

What about the fire on one side, and cooler on the other?... I would think, different rates of expansion and contractions, could cause cracks?.... I've got 2 old RJ Kamados, but don't do 2- Zone cooking... My son does in his old offset... Anyone have experience with all three Kamados?

Butch

You might just wanna spend your money on the Weber.  Don't overthink it :)  I build fires on one side of my kamado MOST of the time.

I always over think things :roll:. Just trying to help him decide... I've had great luck and food with my RJ and Imperial Kamados over he last 50 years (though I have broke an Imperial)... I know quite a few people have had problems with the RJs, but mine are still going... I just don't know a lot about the newer kamados. And he's looking at a lager size, without paying the big bucks on the Komodo Kamado...

Butch

Thanks for your reply John... If you don't mind me asking, which Kamado do you have.

On 6/3/2020 at 3:28 PM, John Setzler said:

build fires on one side of my kamado MOST of the time

Hi John,

This interests me. I used to build two zone fires on my kettle, banked up on one side and a few coals on the other.

On the Kamado,  I just build the fire and use a half moon deflector. I put the  food on a grate above. I move the food to the open (hot) side as needed. 

Do you use a basket divider..? Or just pile the coal up on one side?

Do you use a deflector when you bank the fire to one side? 

D8280E63-7CD9-40AC-8888-B50BAEE0B1DB.thumb.jpeg.0495a059ce7790a140a11f813b5c230c.jpeg

0DA29CAA-2782-4C24-8281-67202E20A0E8.thumb.jpeg.0c31a37012dd17f37b483807ca242238.jpeg