Aj89

My First Pork Butt

3 hours ago, lnarngr said:

Ready?how about a finished pic? 

9.5lbs? Nope, very unlikely to be done unless he's doing a turbo cook. Rule of thumb is 1.5-2 hours per pound @250F with bigger cuts generally being on the higher end due to mass to surface area ratio.

Ok, so I'm going to be doing a Butt at my New Year's Party.  This butt was great, buuuuuut, didn't have that crunchy bark.  Now, 5 1/2 hours seemed a little short for cooking time, and I waited until the fat cap split at around 165F internal temp to wrap.  Should I have maybe waited a bit longer to let that bark develop?

For reference, I used olive oil as a binder.  Would honey or something like golden syrup have done a better job for creating that bark?

3 hours ago, Aj89 said:

Ok, so I'm going to be doing a Butt at my New Year's Party.  This butt was great, buuuuuut, didn't have that crunchy bark.  Now, 5 1/2 hours seemed a little short for cooking time, and I waited until the fat cap split at around 165F internal temp to wrap.  Should I have maybe waited a bit longer to let that bark develop?

For reference, I used olive oil as a binder.  Would honey or something like golden syrup have done a better job for creating that bark?

Did you spritz?  Try spritzing with some apple or cranberry juice, best bark I ever had formed when I started spritzing with cranberry juice (type of juice doesn't matter I think the sugars from the juice are what do it).  I never cook at that high of a temperature for a butt, I usually rock 225 - 250 and a butt that big might cook for 15-16 hours, I don't wrap either, wrapping will soften your bark.  From your photos it doesn't look like one ever formed though and I doubt it will if it's wrapped.  Rule of thumb is not to wrap until the bark has formed if you want a good bark.  I can't comment on anything you're using as a binder or suggesting, but I use mustard.  Good BBQ takes time you have to be patient with it, don't get in a hurry, buy a temp controller for those long overnight cooks.