I did this cook 3 times this month trying to get a good set of pictures - no luck :(

The first attempt was the best but the pictures weren't worth posting. This is the third attempt. Still really good but pictures weren't that great so I'll only post a few. Keep in mind I'm not really complaining about eating this cook three times in one month it's just a little frustrating when the pictures look  way worse than it tasted. Anyway enough of my crying........ 

Steak Sponge Bob - a medium rare ribeye topped with a Maryland style crab cake. 

I started out with a forward sear. Searing first is easier and gives much more controlled results but you do need two different grills to make it work. Searing on the 16" KK about 600*.

ssbsear.thumb.jpg.2a7cedca3608f5de1e7c764a5d3be516.jpg

I then moved them over to the 19" KK for a 250* low and slow finish. Added the crab cakes to par-bake them. 

ssblow.thumb.jpg.ca085d69da2e537ea8adbf1d7048783a.jpg

Finally I put the crab cakes on the ribeyes and a few moments under the broiler. 

nscmoney.thumb.jpg.0d0cfc4576eb3b2f589b19661e727f0b.jpg

I was trying to figure out what in the world sponge bob steak was.... lol. Then it made perfect sense once I looked at the post. Pictures look good to me. I think Mr. KK would have foundered himself on one of those.  I like how you used the two KK’s and the broiler to get everything perfect. 

21 hours ago, ckreef said:

I did this cook 3 times this month trying to get a good set of pictures - no luck :(

The first attempt was the best but the pictures weren't worth posting. This is the third attempt. Still really good but pictures weren't that great so I'll only post a few. Keep in mind I'm not really complaining about eating this cook three times in one month it's just a little frustrating when the pictures look  way worse than it tasted. Anyway enough of my crying........ 

Your only kidding yourself with that excuse ;-) hehe ;-)

it looks delicious and I may have to try it myself....(to get some good pictures of course:P)

what did you put in the crab cakes?

6 hours ago, KismetKamado said:

I was trying to figure out what in the world sponge bob steak was.... lol. Then it made perfect sense once I looked at the post. Pictures look good to me. I think Mr. KK would have foundered himself on one of those.  I like how you used the two KK’s and the broiler to get everything perfect. 

I thought it was a catchy name. Sort of like steak Oscar but with a crab cake instead making it Steak Sponge Bob. Yup 2 kamados are an essential setup in my mind and 2 KK's even better. 

12 minutes ago, AK-g said:

Your only kidding yourself with that excuse ;-) hehe ;-)

it looks delicious and I may have to try it myself....(to get some good pictures of course:P)

what did you put in the crab cakes?

Yea it was a little tough eating this meal 3 times in one month. The things I put myself through just for a challenge B)

Unfortunately these were high end store bought crab cakes. I was trying to ignore that part of the story - LOL