Team402

My -steak-your-position-in-the-november-2019-challenge entry

Here is my entry into the Steak Your Position November’19 Challenge.

I’m starting out with a NY Strip Steak that I bought from my friend Scott Barao at HedgeApple Farm. I have been buying my beef from this farm for the last several months and the more I learn about how beef is processed the more I prefer to go with my local farmers that don’t pump their beef full of drugs, chemicals, grains and corn. 

57C51566-51F1-4815-B61C-E508BFE99DD0.jpeg

I started my cook with allowing my Akron to come up to 450 degrees. While I was waiting for the grill to come up to temp I started with basic seasoning, salt & pepper

0EA2B8B3-4650-419C-9543-7CCBD23DB7B2.jpeg

I let the steak sit for about 45 mins to an hour while manipulating the vents in my Akorn, during this time I gave it a quick spray of some butter to also absorb back into the steak.

At this point it was ready for hitting the heat. I initially started with about 5-6 mins per side off to the side of the heat to what I call “high heat slow cook”.

C14A3423-BAA6-4A95-8420-A6E483759F97.jpeg

After a couple of turns it was time to put the blocker (cast iron skillet) on the steak and slow down the cooking process. At the same time it was also a good opportunity to add moisture and flavor to the steak. I used a piece of hickory chunk to lift up the skillet off the grille so I could get the steak off the grille but still stay on the heat. The moisture part comes from butter that I put in the skillet and allowed to slowly melt. I mixed in some various grilled vegetable seasoning and periodically spooned it over the steak

7B9572F4-8165-4831-A193-B66C623D549F.jpeg

64211007-862D-4BC9-80CC-FC930137606C.jpeg

9656A088-4F5F-471F-8E73-885430086628.jpeg

Every couple of minutes I would take the steak off the skillet and put directly over the coals to allow the steak to sear. This was done for no more than a minute per side and was immediately put on back in the skillet to re-protect the meat from over cooking.

C15DE770-6E6D-4876-80D7-2429164BF6AF.jpeg

5A83EF2F-FEE3-4A7B-B5A8-EEF322F56947.jpeg

This was delicious. I really have become a huge fan of grass fed beef and I feel very fortunate that I live so close to HedgeApple Farm and have gotten to know Scott the Farm Director. 

This will be my money shot for my entry in the November Steak Challenge

1BFD946F-554A-4615-BBFD-D8C696EA9A60.jpeg

Thanks guys. I appreciate the comments. I had been thinking about what to do all month long for this challenge and although the recipe and the technique could use some fine tuning the steak taste was really good.

looks great @Team402. :) Yes, I agree with you wholeheartedly - grassfed is the best 100%.  It makes me so sad when I see how those poor grainfed cattle live.  

Great entry @Team402.. Love the spooning butter and flavor over the steak.. (I watch Gordan Ramsey do that on his cooking shows) .I want to do a steak That way one day. I like my steaks more rare than yours but your cooking technique was great. 

Also love the idea of supporting our local farmers 

skreef, I normally don't go that high of a temp with steak. What you don't see is that while I was enjoying that steak, the deeper into the cut I got the thicker the meat was and by the time I was 3/4 the way through the meat was a bright red with a dark outer smoke ring which in hindsight should have been my money shot. I'll remember that one for the next challenge.