Sign in to follow this  
daninpd

Steak Diane Tandoor Style

Earlier this summer one of the local markets advertised "Whole Beef Tenderloin, Buy One Get One 50% Off".  The starting price was pretty decent, so with visions of filet mignons in my head I headed in.  When I got there the guy behind the counter said "You're the first person to show up for this, I expected a crowd".  Then came the unexpected  "Since you're the first I'm going to mark both of them half-off".  So I happily took home 2 tenderloins and carved them up and have been enjoying filet mignon out of the freezer since then.

I wanted to do something a little different with one, so I thawed a one pounder and cut it into kebab chunks.  I thought a take on restaurant style Steak Diane with mushrooms and Cognac flames at the table and a beef Madiera sauce would be fun on the Joe.  So for the first time dispensed with everything horizontal and stood the skewers up in the coals and went "Tandoor Style".  Someone on another website suggested using limes as plugs on the ends of the skewers to keep things from sliding off, so did that.  The recipe came from James Beard's "American Cookery".  He has two recipes, one, the tableside version without measures and a home version with measures.  Emeril has a recipe online close to what Beard called for:  https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/steak-diane

Stood the skewers up in a hot fire for about 10 minutes and served with some saffron rice and a sauce made to try to imitate the old-time tableside preparations.  Night before Thanksgiving:  great meal

DMP_2181.JPG

DMP_2182.JPG

DMP_2183.JPG

DMP_2186.JPG

DMP_2219.JPG

DMP_2232.JPG

DMP_2238.JPG

Yum! Nice thinking with the wok ring!

We routinely buy and cut down whole tenderloins. I save the pieces that are too small for steaks for kabob nights, the result is fantastic every time. 

Looks really good. Just curious, was the kabob all done about the same, or were the pieces on the bottom (closer to the fire) more done and the ones at the top (furthest from the fire) more done?

26 minutes ago, JohnnyAppetizer said:

Just curious, was the kabob all done about the same, or were the pieces on the bottom (closer to the fire) more done and the ones at the top (furthest from the fire) more done?

I put the mushrooms on first so they cooked longer.   I did notice some well done mushrooms at the bottom of the skewer.  When I put the kebabs in I kept the Joe closed for 7 minutes and they cooked pretty evenly.  I got the idea from a Indian guy who uses his Joe for Tandoori Chicken by removing the top vent and then hanging the skewers on the lip with the Joe screaming hot.

A great cook!  How did you capture the drippings for the gravy?  Can you see your way clear to publish it in recipe format in the Beef Recipes section?

Minneapolis Marriott Hotel...Rosewood Room...Steak Diane...Romantic dinners for Marcia & me.  With enough information, I may try to surprise her.