Sign in to follow this  
Chicago griller

Pizza stone as a deflector and gasket question

So I got my big joe ii a couple weeks ago, and it was a display model. The deflector plates were missing and the gasket was ripped but kamado joe is covering them both under their warranty. Unfortunately they are on back order and they have no eta for either item. I'm getting a bit anxious in smoking something in this, and I have a pizza stone. I was wondering if I could just cover the pizza stone in foil to keep grease off and use as a deflector plate? Does anyone have any experience with this.

Also I did get my hands on a felt gasket put it seems like it'll overlap on the felt that's half on the lip. Will I be safe putting the older style felt gasket on or will it ruin the felt that's on there, and is that even a concern I should be worried about?  Hope someone has some answers for me.

20191202_142809.jpg

Edited by Chicago griller
Missed words

Not an expert but you might have trouble getting the dome to seal with the old style gasket on a series 2

Theres also the issue that you'll have to remove the old style gasket in a couple of weeks when the series 2 gasket arrives

As far as your question about the pizza stone

I dont see why you couldnt use one as a heat deflector in the meantime

Thanks polar that was my concern as well as I noticed the felt style is a lot thinner then the new style... guess I might as well just wait and hope it comes soon. Maybe I'll do a test run at low temps without a gasket and see how well it seals. 

I don't have any experience with the new style gaskets, but I have a felt gasket that has worn down to the ceramic inn some spots. I will see some smoke escaping around the edge, but I don't have any problem holding a low temperature for low and slow, or on shutting down the fire when I am finished grilling.

7 hours ago, Chicago griller said:

Maybe I'll do a test run at low temps without a gasket and see how well it seals. 

Provided the dome will shut withouth a gasket (do it gently, dont want to chip anything) you'll probably be able to keep on cooking

Temps may wander a little and it'll probably take longer than normal to shut down, but it should be useable, just keep an eye on it