Getting an outdoor table what should I load it with??

ryanpk2016

I am about to move into a new house and for a house warming/ Christmas gift and I am rewarding myself with my dream grilling table. I do a lot of entertaining and love keeping the oder outside so I am looking for a good bit of real estate. I am debating a few set ups and would love to hear everyones opinion. I am debating between a big Joe and a Joe junior, 2 Joe classics, or a big Joe and a Blackstone. I would love to hear everyones opinions currently on big green egg large that I am handing over to my father. I am making the switch purely for the dojoe, joetessarie, and mostly the gaskets and hinges on the KJ over the BGE. When giving your opinions on the setups I would like for you to keep in mind some of my favorite things I cook. We weekly do pizza, smash burgers, whole chicken, fajitas, and typically a variety of game day feasts. Things that interest me about each set up, with the big Joe I can do large briskets and a lot on one cooking surface with the extra space and charcoal saving of the junior, with two classics I could pump out pizzas and easily do burgers on one and smoke pork on the other. With the last set up I mainly get two fuel sources and everyone says they would take a Kamado and a griddle over a gas grill and Kamado.

Welcome to Kamado Guru, visit often and post pics.  Drop by the introductions section and tell us more about yourself.

I'd suggest a large kamado and a griddle for the most flexibility, I'm sure there will be many opinions on this topic.

7 minutes ago, ryanpk2016 said:

I am about to move into a new house and for a house warming/ Christmas gift and I am rewarding myself with my dream grilling table. I do a lot of entertaining and love keeping the oder outside so I am looking for a good bit of real estate. I am debating a few set ups and would love to hear everyones opinion. I am debating between a big Joe and a Joe junior, 2 Joe classics, or a big Joe and a Blackstone. I would love to hear everyones opinions currently on big green egg large that I am handing over to my father. I am making the switch purely for the dojoe, joetessarie, and mostly the gaskets and hinges on the KJ over the BGE. When giving your opinions on the setups I would like for you to keep in mind some of my favorite things I cook. We weekly do pizza, smash burgers, whole chicken, fajitas, and typically a variety of game day feasts. Things that interest me about each set up, with the big Joe I can do large briskets and a lot on one cooking surface with the extra space and charcoal saving of the junior, with two classics I could pump out pizzas and easily do burgers on one and smoke pork on the other. With the last set up I mainly get two fuel sources and everyone says they would take a Kamado and a griddle over a gas grill and Kamado.

I would also love everyones opinion on the Primo I like the USA factor and the oval shape is interesting but I just am less aware of them and have yet to find a local dealer. 

Ideally if I had the money to make such a decision I would go Big Joe/XL or even XXL Green Egg (no one seems to talk about that monster I see it at the Ace Hardware its YUGE!) and the Blackstone griddle.  The big kamados are fantastic for the amount of cooking space.  The griddle is so much more versatile than a plain gas grill and while multiple kamados could be useful I would find the versatility and ease of use of the griddle more of a compliment.  It's a shame you see so many of those blackstones not being cared for properly on FB marketplace and such, people don't do a very good job of seasoning the cast iron surface and protecting them.

I would highly recommend Big Joe. Not sure on which companion to get. But if your really into having parties do get the Big Joe. On my big joe 3 i did 2 full packer briskets, 4 pork butts, and a brisket flat AT THE SAME TIME (to do this, you would need to order two extra grill grates, and the grill expander, and you cant use the sloroller, you have to go old school heat deflectors) and with the sloroller in place you still could do 2 full packer briskets next to each other or 4 pork butts. If your really into pizza like I am, i would recommend the big joe again over the classic because of size alone. I like to go for 16 inch large pizzeria pizzas, the classic pizza stone is 14 inches, the big joe is 20 inches, so it can easily house a 16 inch pie with 4 inches to spare. And the dojoe is very awesome, when I fire it up im making 4, 16 inch pizzas, and I love being able to slide pizzas in and out with no heat loss. If your cookin at 600+ your pizzas will only need 5 minutes. So for parties youll be able to put together a pizza buffet in a half hour (probly less then that)

5 hours ago, Brandon Store said:

I would highly recommend Big Joe. Not sure on which companion to get. But if your really into having parties do get the Big Joe. On my big joe 3 i did 2 full packer briskets, 4 pork butts, and a brisket flat AT THE SAME TIME (to do this, you would need to order two extra grill grates, and the grill expander, and you cant use the sloroller, you have to go old school heat deflectors) and with the sloroller in place you still could do 2 full packer briskets next to each other or 4 pork butts. If your really into pizza like I am, i would recommend the big joe again over the classic because of size alone. I like to go for 16 inch large pizzeria pizzas, the classic pizza stone is 14 inches, the big joe is 20 inches, so it can easily house a 16 inch pie with 4 inches to spare. And the dojoe is very awesome, when I fire it up im making 4, 16 inch pizzas, and I love being able to slide pizzas in and out with no heat loss. If your cookin at 600+ your pizzas will only need 5 minutes. So for parties youll be able to put together a pizza buffet in a half hour (probly less then that)

Do you think that there is a chance of doing a couple 10 in pizzas with the proper stone? Also I assume you can do a couple calzones at once those are always a hit. Also do you have any experience with the half moon cast irons? Like for example are the easier to clean than a Blackstone? My biggest concern with the Blackstone in the table is the grease drip area location and how hot The Blackstone gets. I have also just considered getting the two Kamados or BGE and pulling out a 22in Blackstone when need by if I can get that much real estate on my table. Also another question are y'all fans of the fire box divider for smaller cooks on the larger cookers? 

30 minutes ago, ryanpk2016 said:

Do you think that there is a chance of doing a couple 10 in pizzas with the proper stone? Also I assume you can do a couple calzones at once those are always a hit. Also do you have any experience with the half moon cast irons? Like for example are the easier to clean than a Blackstone? My biggest concern with the Blackstone in the table is the grease drip area location and how hot The Blackstone gets. I have also just considered getting the two Kamados or BGE and pulling out a 22in Blackstone when need by if I can get that much real estate on my table. Also another question are y'all fans of the fire box divider for smaller cooks on the larger cookers? 

I havent done two 10inch pizzas at the same time. Its probly possible but theyll be up against each other and very close to the metal of the dojoe. I dont recommend trying that. The dojoe gets extremely hot and if the dough touches the metal at all itll char (and not in a good way). You could definitely do calzones. I personally havent though. I have a cast iron grill grate. And for a flat surface i got a soapstone instead of a cast iron flat. Cast iron does clean up very easy after its seasoned, I run all my cast iron under hot water and scrub with a sponge (no soap, i have a dedicated cast iron sponge) It cleans out as easy as a non stick frying pan. I cant comment on blackstone. Ive never used one. They do look cool though. Fire box divider I use for either a small cook when its just my wife and I, generally one half moon is good enough for two people. The divider is also good for if you want to have a high heat sear side for steak, then transferring it to the other side to indirect bake until you reach your desired temp.