GLOCKer

Might be getting a sous vide cooker...

I love my Anova wifi.   That said, I don't use it to replace things that I have always smoked.   Brisket & ribs belong on my kamado, not in a bag.   My favourites, in no particular order are:

- Vegetables. They come out actually tasting like vegetables.   

- Chicken - Perfectly cooked every time, especially for stir-fry type dishes.

- Steak.  Wait until you do a reverse sear from the Sous vide bath to the kamado at screaming temps.

- Creme Brulee.   This one never fails to impress.

Enjoy expanding your cooking tools!

9 minutes ago, Chris Topher said:

@backyardgriller could you share your creme brulee technique? I have not had sous vide success in getting it to set. Thanks!

Honestly, I just use this.     Hits every time.    I use the small mason jars.  https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/sous-vide-ultimate-creme-brulee-with-variations

I have an an older anova bluetooth. I LOVE IT.

I like that it has actual buttons, a lot of SV gear coming out now is wifi/app/phone only, no buttons, and even though I'm a damned milennial, I loathe that. I like buttons. I like being able to cook without my phone....

anyway

as said above, vegetables are easily the best thing I take out of the bath, though steaks are great too.

I make this for every "have people over for a holiday dinner"

it is simple, it is effective, and I never make enough

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/06/sous-vide-glazed-carrots-recipe.html

best part is, you can make them in the bath up to a week ahead of time then just finish them day of. also have done it with parsnips, or added curry powder or some ginger powder...so good

Have had an Anova for 4-5 years now. It is mostly set and forget because the beauty of sous vide is that while one CAN let it run so long that meat can turn to mush that problem takes days not minutes to hours. So overcooking at least for meat is not a problem.
I truly don't see a need for bluetooth or wifi. Don't like to cook with my phone as well, KJTerp. 

Now as to power, I start with hot water out of the tap to minimize getting ready time and I'd be wary of letting meat meander at dangerous temps while the bath slowly climbed upward. So power is not really an issue unless your bath is large and un-insulated and the device can't maintain the desired temp. I run mine in a LIPAVI containers (they come in different sizes, just in case - all depends on what are you going to cook), sometimes in cooking pots w/o any problems. 

My absolute favorites are boneless turkey and elk steak

And thanks for sharing your creme brulee recipe, backyardgriller! Going to try this now. 

+1 on liking buttons. While the clean look of the joule is nice, there are really only two parameters to set: time and temp. I find it more convenient to dial those in on the anova than mucking around with an app, re-pairing with WiFi or Bluetooth, etc. 

the anova can pretty much clip to any container. I use a plastic tub with a hinged lid specifically made for the anova and insulating cover specifically made for the tub. I bought the tub, lid, and cover from amazon and can send links if you want. 

14 hours ago, KJTerp said:

I like that it has actual buttons, a lot of SV gear coming out now is wifi/app/phone only, no buttons,

Ditto, I have had 2 units in the last year. The first units thermistat went bad(refund under warranty) and the second one has been rock solid(chose a different brand). Whatever you get make sure it can be configured and monitored with buttons on the device. Wifi and Bluetooth seem like they would be useful, but in my opinion they are not. 

This is the one I currently Have.  I wouldn't pay less than $50 for one or purchase one with less than 4 stars. Wattage matters (800 watts or more) as that will dictate cycle time and how much mass you can heat at one time. 

I told some guys at work that Dollar for Dollar the Sous Vide is the best investment I have made to expand my culinary ability. 

I strongly object to "no controls"....... but I'm not a smartphone type.... I use a "dumb phone" (cheap flip phone).    I've had my Annova for a number of years.... long enough that the metal tag on the back has faded out, but I believe it is Wifi as I recall, and I tried out the Wifi app on my Ipad when I first got it..... never got it to work, and have been using it manually ever since.     WhyFi??  The ONLY purpose in WhyFi or Bluetooth is to  make the unit smaller, and cheaper to manufacture.  The single mechanical control on mine is a roller for temp setting........I'm sure it's the weak point..... on/off is capacitive.   

This thing gets used constantly........ I even use it for burgers........  Full fat, or ultra lean, either way they come out moist and tender and don't shrink, and are MR all the way through.......... 30 sec to the side in a  skillet.......... It's not worth lighting the grill for that.

Steaks, roasts, ribs, chicken, I use the grill for the surface sear, usually with a hint of smoke.    If you get the technique right, they can go into the Kamado frozen (except a roast), and you lose almost no moisture, nor does the "done" portion progress far inward. 

I have a hard time understanding how one can fail at creme brulee....... mine comes out with a perfect set every time I would suggest testing the actual temp, and perhaps a bit more time.   I've done it without heating the cream at all prior to adding it to the egg yokes......... and  it worked fine.

I don't use mine a lot for veggies, as I lean heavily toward salad.......... They do the perfect carrot, and baby potatoes done this way are to die for.

I also used mine originally in brewing, using the brew in a bag technique, but the brew bag would tend to get clogged with fines, and suck up to the Annova..........

H.W.

I have an Anova BT/Wifi since 18 months.

It's a life-changer.  I use it mostly for...

- reverse sear steaks.

- outstandingcurry/peri-peri dishes with the marinade added to the meat in the bag, then the meat finished as a smokey kamado sear whilst reducing the bag juices with some butter-fried garlic, coconut milk and chopped coriander.

I use it in a modified Coleman cooler (hole cut in the top) with a cheap rack from Ikea.  The set up is excellent for long cooks as it insulates against temp loss and evaporation.  I think it also looks cool as a kind of frankencooker though my wife disagrees vehemently.

I don't use it for fish much any more as I think pan fried gives a better result as long as you're careful not to overcook.  I never had much success with eggs and I don't think the method works because the yolk sets at a lower temperature than the white.

I think the physical buttons on the Anova are indispensable.  Sometimes I use it via the app and sometimes I just press the button.

3 hours ago, Snoozeboy said:

I use it in a modified Coleman cooler (hole cut in the top) with a cheap rack from Ikea.

When I first got my Anova, I started out in a pot.

I then moved to a Rubbermaid container (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000R8JOUC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and lid (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VAUFD6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) that I cut a rough hole in for the Anova.

I was losing quite a bit of water, so I added a sleeve for the container (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FLJ2FV2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and hinged lid made for the Anova (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B071L6PRY8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1). My wife calls the sleeve a "dress."

That's been my setup for a while.

A cooler would do perfectly, since it should be well insulated, but I'm not cutting any holes in my Yeti! 

This is the hack that I copied...

It works pretty well, the only issue being that you can't see inside without lifting the lid. However, SV cooking is predictable enough that this isn't a problem after a few tries. 

23 minutes ago, Snoozeboy said:

It works pretty well, the only issue being that you can't see inside without lifting the lid. However, SV cooking is predictable enough that this isn't a problem after a few tries. 

Plus, SV cooking is not much of a spectator sport... not a whole lot to see :)

On 5/12/2020 at 9:13 AM, Snoozeboy said:

This is the hack that I copied...

This is what I use and I also picked up a smaller cooler for smaller cooks.