Digital Instant Read Thermometer Shootout

Awesome video and very informative.  I've had the Lavatools DUO for a few years and like it a lot.  Single tap the button for back light, double tap for min/max and hold it while measuring for a stabilization alert.  So far I'm still rolling with the batteries it came with.

Like you I can never keep up with the sheath that comes with the stick thermometers. 

I have a ThermoPro TP-18 that I paid $19 and have had Thermapen envy.  No longer.  I also have a ThermoPro TP-165 that did not make it through the first rains of the season.  Even though it was under a roof, some of the splash got to it and it went to Thermo-Valhalla.  

Great video - Thanks!!

• 3 weeks later...

My recommendation probably won't make the list, but here goes...  I had one of those long-lasting erections for a Thermapen for a long time.  It was on the Xmas/birthday list.  Then my instant read died unexpectedly and I was stuck without a thermometer for a few days unless I bought locally.  $10 Expert Grill instant read digital from Walmart is the best thermometer I have had in a while.  2-3 second read time and water resistant.  I'll stick with water resistant only because I haven't killed it when washing the probe, unlike a Weber that died the first time the probe touched water.

• 2 weeks later...

I consider anything on price reduction-especially on a higher priced item I perceive as an upgrade.

I have the 3rd place MK4, bought long before John's excellent video. Got that on a great, one time,  discount somewhere in the low $60 range. I use this more than my original Thermoworks Pocket Thermometer. Probably can designate the Pocket as the backup. No complaints on either.

M.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The biggest complaint for the ThermaPro is durability and wild temp fluctuations.  Let us know if you’re experiencing any of those issues with regular use. 

The LavaTools has my interest if though I like the display better on the ThermaPro.

i’ve had the Maverick for years.  The only drawback is cleanliness. Food particles get stuck in the crevice, the rubber is hard to clean.  

The Maverick would benefit from a design update with smooth clean streamlined design.

I read so many reviews, on so many sites, where people really liked their Thermapen Mk4.  So, I waited for a sale, and bought one.  I've had it for 10 months or so now.  No problems whatsoever.

Regardless of whose thermometer you want to buy, I would expect to find some decent sales on Black Friday, if not sooner. So keep checking around.

52 minutes ago, Dogstar said:

I read so many reviews, on so many sites, where people really liked their Thermapen Mk4.  So, I waited for a sale, and bought one.  I've had it for 10 months or so now.  No problems whatsoever.

Regardless of whose thermometer you want to buy, I would expect to find some decent sales on Black Friday, if not sooner. So keep checking around.

The MK4 is good.  The LavaTools is pretty close.  

• 1 month later...

John,

Thank you for this video. Somehow I just now came across it after buying a TP19 yesterday because my Lavatools Javelin (lower end, not the Duo) bit the dust when my sister-in-law dropped it into a sink full of water. I'm not sure exactly why I bought it, maybe because I bought a ThermoPro TP20 wireless remote thermometer last month to replace the 6.5 year old Maverick 732 that died last month and I really like the TP20. Anyway, I'm glad I somehow made a good choice. 

Thanks again,

Dave