Kamado joe arrived damaged - Horrible customer service

I bought a brand new big joe 2 and while opening the packaging I discovered it came with a chip on the side of the base. Since it was after hours that I was unpacking it, I figured I would contact them the next day and was sure they will make it right. I called the next day and they told me to register the product and submit a claim with receipts and pictures. What followed was the worst customer service I’ve ever experienced. They emailed back saying their warranty does not cover damage that has no effect on the performance of the grill and they would send me a paint (that is currently out of stock) so I could repair it myself. I replied that I was not making a warranty claim, but instead I was delivered a brand new grill that arrived with damage on it and did not like the idea of having to fix a new product delivered defective. I received four responses in total, all of them telling me that this is not covered under warranty and completely ignoring the fact that the grill arrived damaged. They have since stopped responding to my emails and as of now, a month after I received the grill, they never sent me the paint or attempted to make good on my purchase.

I love cooking on the grill but I am really disappointed with their customer service. If you are planning on purchasing a new grill, be aware that Kamado Joe does not care If the grill arrives damaged and don’t expect any help from their customer service department.

I write to companies that have treated me badly.  I send a certified letter, return receipt requested, to the company president in order to be certain that it doesn’t get delivered to some middle-management functionary.  I’m fairly confident that the address you want is–

Bobby Brennan, President

Kamado Joe

5032 Milgen Court

Columbus, GA  31907

Be polite.

1 hour ago, pmillen said:

I write to companies that have treated me badly.  I send a certified letter, return receipt requested, to the company president in order to be certain that it doesn’t get delivered to some middle-management functionary.  I’m fairly confident that the address you want is–

Bobby Brennan, President

Kamado Joe

5032 Milgen Court

Columbus, GA  31907

Be polite.

Bobby is not the president of Kamado Joe any more.

13 hours ago, Alejandro said:

I bought a brand new big joe 2 and while opening the packaging I discovered it came with a chip on the side of the base. Since it was after hours that I was unpacking it, I figured I would contact them the next day and was sure they will make it right. I called the next day and they told me to register the product and submit a claim with receipts and pictures. What followed was the worst customer service I’ve ever experienced. They emailed back saying their warranty does not cover damage that has no effect on the performance of the grill and they would send me a paint (that is currently out of stock) so I could repair it myself. I replied that I was not making a warranty claim, but instead I was delivered a brand new grill that arrived with damage on it and did not like the idea of having to fix a new product delivered defective. I received four responses in total, all of them telling me that this is not covered under warranty and completely ignoring the fact that the grill arrived damaged. They have since stopped responding to my emails and as of now, a month after I received the grill, they never sent me the paint or attempted to make good on my purchase.

I love cooking on the grill but I am really disappointed with their customer service. If you are planning on purchasing a new grill, be aware that Kamado Joe does not care If the grill arrives damaged and don’t expect any help from their customer service department.

Sorry to hear expectations didn't meet your reality.  Like others asked, can you share a photo of what you received?

Not that it does anything for your situation and how you feel, but my neighbour just went through something similar with his brand new Traeger Ironwood 850 and the official fix is sending out or buying spray paint. On my Big green eggs I had some chipping / flaking when they were new and again the answer that was frustrating to me at the time was a small bottle of paint.

What I can say nearly 8 years later is it never came off, nobody saw it (not sure I could find it anymore) and it never impacted the cooking performance at all.  

What I didn't know then that I now know is what a PITA removing the hinge/band assemble is and reassembling it with a perfect alignment and seal.  Its totally doable, people do it all the time and at some point when your gasket bites the dust you will have to cross the bridge but its not until you go through this experience that the paint chip correction becomes significantly more desirable.

14 hours ago, Alejandro said:

... bought a brand new big joe 2 and ...  it was after hours that I was unpacking it, ...

... I was delivered a brand new grill that arrived with damage on it ...

I love cooking on the grill

I have found that what you do affects your rights.

In this case, your complaint was with the seller, and your best option was to refuse delivery. I've learned to inspect the exterior packaging carefully before signing. Once you accept delivery, the seller has the option of covering you, or not, and they usually will cover damage if it's catastrophic. My second KJ came in many pieces, and the seller covered it. Same with my first flat panel TV. 

If the damage is non-functional, as with a surface chip, the seller is not likely to cover you after you accept delivery, and as you've seen, manufacturer's warranty is all about function. You can cook on it, so there is no functional issue. A chips is cosmetic, which is not unimportant, but it's not something that will get you a new ceramic. 

So... how was it damaged? If it's just a glazing defect, no issues. Same for a gentle surface chip. But if the chip is evidence of a major collision, you may have a claim for the unseen damage to the integrity of the ceramic as a whole. We can't help here without pictures....

Have fun,

Frank

Thank you all for your responses. Sorry I could not get to it earlier as I was busy at work. Here is a picture of the grill still on the pallet it was delivered. I noticed it right after removing all the items that are placed next to the base. I did not get to refuse the delivery since I was not home when it arrived. My son signed for it and the cardboard box did not have any damage on it before I opened it. I did contact the seller the next morning and they directed me to KJ customer service. I never demanded a replacement, I was simply not happy that my brand new and expensive grill arrived damaged and wasn’t sure if it was safe to use. This is my first ceramic grill and did not know if the chip could expand or cause a crack with use. I was thinking that if they will not replace it, perhaps they will send a repair person and offer me a coupon for a future purchase or some partial refund or perhaps a complementary accessory as compensation to avoid replacing it. I was not expecting them to completely dismiss my argument that I was not happy with a brand new damaged grill. The answer was fix it yourself and you can search for videos online how to do it.

The good news is that I did contact the seller since then and they said that KJ did not handle my case correctly and if was not satisfied after the painting fix they will send me a new base. I never received the paint kit yet but the seller did send me a bunch of BBQ rubs.
I do love cooking on it and so far had excellent results with chicken, ribs, brisket and steaks. I am looking forward to learning from all the experts on these forums and enjoying many cookouts with family and friends. After all, that’s why I purchased it, but I’m still disappointed with the way it was handled. 

4668BB84-7D25-497F-A7CD-F41FC3332B99.jpeg

Yeah that royally sucks that this was the way KJ decided to handle it.  The damage doesn't look too bad though.  Mostly an aesthetic thing, which again sucks bad, but at least its not a functional problem.  It doesn't look like it will affect it in any way, just make sure you keep all of your documentation and if the grill does ever crack you have proof that you tried to resolve the issue with them when you originally received the grill and this is where you are now.

I have read through this a couple times and let me see if I understand correctly....

The grill has a cosmetic defect and the original buyer is not happy that Kamado Joe responded by saying it just needed some touch up paint and that they would send him some as soon as they got some more in.  

I never demanded a replacement, I was simply not happy that my brand new and expensive grill arrived damaged and wasn’t sure if it was safe to use.

The buyer says he did not demand a replacement but went on to say....

I was thinking that if they will not replace it, perhaps they will send a repair person and offer me a coupon for a future purchase or some partial refund or perhaps a complementary accessory as compensation to avoid replacing it.

So did he or did he not want a replacement?  He'd settle for cash or gift compensation in lieu of the replacement it seems.... The warranty also does not include on site assistance with warranty work.  

I see this sort of thing a lot.  I'm pissed off because of {insert pissed off reason here} so I should be compensated over and above what the warranty states as compensation for my {insert emotional affliction caused by said pissed off reason here}.  

That seems a little unfair also.

John,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I've watched many of your youtube videos and you are one of the reasons I decided to purchase the Big Joe.

My point is that whenever I make a purchase online, if the item arrives damaged, I return it and request a replacement. It should not make any difference that the damage is only cosmetic, the new item should arrive in pristine condition. Had I had the opportunity to refuse this delivery I would have. In my opinion, this damage should not be subject to the warranty policy. It did not get damaged from use but instead it was delivered like that. I believe that it should by my choice whether to accept this unit with the cosmetic damage or request a replacement. It should be no different than choosing to buy a floor display in a store at a discount, instead of a brand new item. To settle for anything less than perfect should always be the consumers choice.

My preference was and still is to get it replaced. I have been saving money for 8 months to be able to make this purchase and should not be forced to accept a unit that arrived damaged. However, I do understand that this would translate to significant expenses for KJ. And I agree with Adam319 that it would probably be a lot easier to deal with the paint fix than replacing the base. Therefore, I never demanded a replacement nor did I ask for any specific cash compensation. What I asked them on several emails was to "make this right" which I believe is pretty reasonable. They ignored my requests and stopped responding to my emails on December 4. I find that to be poor customer service. Like Tarnation put it, it "royally sucks". And for the record, I do care for the cosmetic aspect of the grill. That's one of the reasons I chose the good looking KJ over the ugly green egg.

Yesterday, after 2 weeks of waiting for a response, I was pleasantly surprised to receive an email from M. Wilkerson stating he/she is the manager for customer service at KJ and requesting to speak to me. I only saw the email after midnight and I replied with my cell phone number. I will report back once I speak with them.

Seems like touch up paint solves the cosmetic issue, thereby “making it right,” I think. If cracks or other issues arise, and hopefully they won’t, KJ should take care of it. 

Sending a few emails asking to “make this right” is a bit cryptic. If you wanted cash compensation or some freebies for your troubles, you could have asked them rather than resent them for not doing so. Sounds like you wanted them to “do [you] a favor though” :rofl: