New AKORN owner. Howdy from sunny Florida

FLsmokin

Welcome! 

I suggest seasoning the grill immediately. Fill with lump. Fire it up to maybe 400° for half an hour. Then work on holding some lower temps. Then close the vents to verify that it is sealed well enough to snuff out the lump. Fire it back up and see if you can hold the low temperature, say 250°. 

This is all necessary to be ready to use it next weekend. And to see if you need to mod the seals. 

Good Luck and Merry Christmas! 

Your GF's a keeper! 

On 12/22/2019 at 8:46 AM, lnarngr said:

Welcome! 

I suggest seasoning the grill immediately. Fill with lump. Fire it up to maybe 400° for half an hour. Then work on holding some lower temps. Then close the vents to verify that it is sealed well enough to snuff out the lump. Fire it back up and see if you can hold the low temperature, say 250°. 

This is all necessary to be ready to use it next weekend. And to see if you need to mod the seals. 

Good Luck and Merry Christmas! 

Your GF's a keeper! 

Thanks, gonna season it tomorrow when my thermometer gets here. Already added felt gaskets to the bowl lip and the lower vent, I figured it couldnt hurt and it took all of 10 minutes while I assembled the grill. Also took the front latch off and bent it a bit to get a little better seal, and wrapped a small strip of foil around each of the ash pan latches so it pulls the pan up a little tighter than it did out of the box. Im ready to go!

1 hour ago, Edsland said:

Welcome, I have an Acorn that’s 6 years old. Do yourself a favor and google a cover that’s made for it. They are pretty cheap but keeps rust at bay. 

I think this is the cover I have used for many years with good success.  Wide enough for the side shelves to tuck inside and only about $20 at Lowes.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Rhino-30-in-Black-Vertical-Smoker-Cover/1001569160

On 12/24/2019 at 12:14 PM, Edsland said:

Welcome, I have an Acorn that’s 6 years old. Do yourself a favor and google a cover that’s made for it. They are pretty cheap but keeps rust at bay. 

Ive found here in Florida, the humidity most of the year is not a good combo with grill covers. They trap the moisture and actually speed up the rusting process. Ive always kept my grill in the garage or under a covered patio and theyve alll lasted me quite a while,

On 12/24/2019 at 12:49 PM, DEW said:

Welcome and greetings from Boston. What’s your first cook going to be?

First cook wasnt really a cook, it was a just a sear. I cooked a couple of 1 inch thick boneless ribeyes sous vide to 120 IT, then seared them on the akorn just above RIPPING hot coals on a weber grate that sits on the stone tabs. I then topped the steaks with a pat of black truffle butter, and went with sauteed morel mushrooms, asparagus, and baked potato for sides. Turned out amazing. I wish I would have taken a pic of the steaks fresh off the grill after searing but the gf plated them up while I was shutting down the grill (the morels are hiding some beautiful char). Anyway, heres a little peek:

i6ZYGju.jpg

rWTobGm.jpg