Burgy12

First Prime Rib - Did I ruin it? Help!

First time posting here and I need some help- this year the torch has been passed to me to cook Christmas dinner for my family (10 people). I purchased my KJ Classic II 3 weeks ago and thought I’d give Prime Rib a shot. I’m new to smoking/grilling but I’ve loved my KJ so far and cooked some killer dinners already. Confidence was high, did my research, purchased 11lbs of Prime Rib From a local butcher and took it home. 

First mistake: I thought I had ordered boneless PR - nope, bone-in... butcher had already cut the bones and retied to the meat. I thought I should just cut it off and proceed as planned. Well I cut the bones off and saw some thick chucks of fat (fat cap?) and took those off as well. trimmed a lot of fat off the back as well because it seemed too thick. Tied back up with butcher twine and now it’s sitting in the fridge seasoned with salt,pepper, garlic powder and wrapped in plastic. 

After watching numerous YouTube videos of people cooking with the bones attaching & properly trimming their PR - I’m terrified that I butchered (no pun intended) this meat and took out all the flavor removing the bone rack & fat cap. Im also worried that the meat will sit in the fridge seasoned too long and the meat will dry out as a result.  The cook will be tomorrow around noon which means it will sit about 36 hours seasoned. 

Any ideas to help this rookie save this cook is much appreciated!
I’d love Malcom Reed or John Setlzer to just give me a pat on the back and tell me it’s going to be ok haha

P.S. I’m planning on adding a wet rub over the PR about an hour or two before throwing it on the Joe tomorrow: cooking low&slow over indirect heat around 225-250 until internal temp hits about 120 - removing and letting rest while I crank up the Joe to 500 for a quick reverse sear. I also still have the bone rack and not sure what to do with it. 

3A8A8AF3-4652-4C8B-838F-3622AACCB61B.jpeg

Unless you cook the bones with the meat (you can tie them back on) just keep them off and cook separably in a braise or make stock. They don't add any flavor to the main roast. But if you tie them back on for presentation, cover the bones with foil to prevent burning, even at low heat. 

Your plan sounds OK and is pretty much how I made my last roast, and which came out well. 

The roast has lots of interior fat so you should be fine. Just cook to your desired IT. Enjoy!

Have you discarded the bones and the fat?  If not, retie bones back on.  If all else fails, let me know and I'll come get it and cook it.  I have twine.:welcome:LRJ responded before I could hit enter.:-D

Relax my friend, you did not ruin anything. As said above, you can tie the bones back on if you have them and they are still intact and you like the look for presentation. Your PR will cook just fine as you have it. Breathe, have a beer, listen to some music, watch the birds, enjoy the rising smoke as it changes color, all is well. your cook will be fine and your family will enjoy the PR. 2 bits, says they won't let you ever cook anything but PR on every Christmas in the future. That's what happened to me, I have been cooking PR's on Christmas Eve for the better part of the last 30 years. Family just won't accept anything else.

I just watched a YouTube video where the cook removed the bones and cooked them as beef ribs. You could do this at the same time as you do the roast, or freeze them to cook later. As others have posted, you did not ruin your rib roast.

One more vote for "You did Not Mess Up"!  Over cooking is about the only way to mess up a rib roast however,

it sounds like you have your plan in place for a successful meal. Actually, you set yourself up for another

great meal. Put some rub on the ribs and smoke them low and slow at a later date. Or, you could use

the ribs for some French Onion or other soup. Lots of possibilities.

You sound like you are doing okay.  Don't worry about the bones, pay attention to the meat.  If you arrive at a final IT of 124-127 you will have perfect prime rib, IMHO.  I did a 8 lb, 3 bone rib roast 2 weeks ago finishing at 125 after resting and it was perfect. 

13 hours ago, daninpd said:

You sound like you are doing okay.  Don't worry about the bones, pay attention to the meat.  If you arrive at a final IT of 124-127 you will have perfect prime rib, IMHO.  I did a 8 lb, 3 bone rib roast 2 weeks ago finishing at 125 after resting and it was perfect. 

Yeah, that's my target as well. I cook PR at 350 indirect and pull when the IT is between 119 and 120. I tent it, or  put it in a cooler which has been warmed with hot water and dried out, and let it rest about 20 min. The IT, in my experience, comes up about 5 to 7 degrees during the rest. Merry Christmas and Happy  Cooking.  

2 hours ago, Burgy12 said:

Thanks for the input everyone!! I had a successful cook and the family asked for a repeat next year - looking forward to it already. 

Well, Easter is not that far off. :)