Sign in to follow this  
GLOCKer

Prime Rib Gravy?

I'm going to cook up a Prime rib for the first time, and I'm wondering if there is a way to do a gravy for it too.  If I catch the drippings, will they burn?  Any suggestions?

I've never made gravy from the drippings, I always use the following method to make au jus.

1. Catch the prime rib drippings.  It’s best to use a roasting pan that can go directly onto the kitchen range burners. 
  2. Warm the captured drippings over medium-high heat and sprinkle in a 1½ tablespoons of flour in two steps, whisking in between.  (This is not a thick gravy.) 
  3. Continue whisking and scraping the fond free. 
  4. After a couple of minutes, drizzle in 2 cups of cold beef broth. 
  5. Raise to high heat, bring to a boil and it’s ready.

But I think that with a minor tweak it will be gravy.

3 hours ago, JaxxQ said:

I make an Au Jus gravy by cooking Prime rib on a rack over a pan of cut carrots, onions and Red Potatoes with some beef broth

That looks like a winner.  Are the carrots, onions & spuds there for the entire prime rib cook?

At what temperature and for how long?

20 hours ago, pmillen said:

That looks like a winner.  Are the carrots, onions & spuds there for the entire prime rib cook?

At what temperature and for how long?

350 till the internal temp hits 125 then I let it stand for 20 min, as far as the time goes I really dont keep track of that but I think it was around 2 hours

On 12/22/2019 at 10:40 AM, JaxxQ said:

I make an Au Jus gravy by cooking Prime rib on a rack over a pan of cut carrots, onions and Red Potatoes with some beef broth  

IMG_0787.jpg

IMG_0791.jpg

How much broth? I've got a 14 oz can on hand

@JaxxQ

This is going to be awesome because my wife loves carrots! I'm going to just do a pan of carrot, onion, and the whole can of broth. I'll drain off the broth and serve her the carrots (I HATE carrots!) and I'll serve up the aus jus separate! 

1 minute ago, GLOCKer said:

@JaxxQ

This is going to be awesome because my wife loves carrots! I'm going to just do a pan of carrot, onion, and the whole can of broth. I'll drain off the broth and serve her the carrots (I HATE carrots!) and I'll serve up the aus jus separate! 

Green beans work too

4 hours ago, JaxxQ said:

as far as the time goes I really dont keep track of that but I think it was around 2 hours

Yeah, I only track the time so that the next time I cook the same thing I know about when it will be ready to serve.

The time element I was thinking about is for the carrots and potatoes.  Do they go in at the beginning of the cook?

On 12/22/2019 at 9:42 AM, pmillen said:

I've never made gravy from the drippings, I always use the following method to make au jus.

1. Catch the prime rib drippings.  It’s best to use a roasting pan that can go directly onto the kitchen range burners. 
  2. Warm the captured drippings over medium-high heat and sprinkle in a 1½ tablespoons of flour in two steps, whisking in between.  (This is not a thick gravy.) 
  3. Continue whisking and scraping the fond free. 
  4. After a couple of minutes, drizzle in 2 cups of cold beef broth. 
  5. Raise to high heat, bring to a boil and it’s ready.

But I think that with a minor tweak it will be gravy.

sounds tasty!