Vfl57

Extra Rack Question

I’m going to be cooking St. Louis style ribs for Christmas and am trying to figure out my set up for the most ribs I can fit. I have an extra rack  that I’ve never used and not too sure of the positioning of it yet. I love using the slow roller as well. Is there a way to use the slow roller with an extra rack or will it be too high? How many racks do you think I can fit? Thanks in advance for your help!

To expand on that, I have a Big Joe 3, no rib rack. I’ve never used the extra grill grate rack and just wasn’t sure if you even can if you’re also using the slo roller. 

I have a Classic III with and expander rack.  I’ve done ribs with the SloRoller and the first rack in the highest position and then the expander on top.  Take a trial run on positioning because I learned the hard way that there is enough room, HOWEVER, the dome thermometer may pierce the meat on the expander rack but you can avoid this based on how you position that rack and how you orient the food on the expander.

5 hours ago, Struja said:

you can avoid this based on how you position that rack

Specifically, the flat side faces front. That insures the rack will clear the thermometer, as long as no food hands over.

Frank

Thanks guys. Do you think I would be better off getting a rib rack? I’ve heard that ribs are better without a rib rack but not sure because I’ve never used one. I’m trying to cook 6 racks of St. Louis style ribs and have only been able to fit

2-3 racks at once before I bought the extra grate.

At this point get a rib rack but for future cooks you might look into getting the XL rig from the Ceramic grill store, you can get up to 9 racks of ribs lay flat 

I ordered a rib rack on Amazon and hope it gets here in time. It says it will, but you never know. 

I’ll check that out for future cooks thank you.