Prime Rib Adventure

GLOCKer

We all started sometime my friend. I wish I could remember my first one. Don't remember whether it was fantastic or failure???? Now, I can't wait to do them. So many great variations, so little time. Almost bought two this season. They were giving them away at $5.97/lb. They are Harris Ranch (west coast) so I know the quality is good.

You will be okay. Take it slow. Ask questions. These guys are pros. Prep work is most important.

Pull it off correctly and your family will carry you on their shoulders down the street. "Keeperovdeflame" has been going 30+ years with PR. His family won't have anything else. Neither will mine.

Best of luck.

6 hours ago, GLOCKer said:

And then I find out it's bone in.  Arghhhhhh!

Apparently you are not a gnawer (one who gnaws on bones) because, if you were, you'd be clapping your hands like a little kid,  Cook it, carve off the bones, slice the prime rib to order for everyone and then start parceling out the bones to people (like me) that like to gnaw.  Just don't try to touch one of the bones being gnawed on, you could lose a finger. 

@GLOCKer just take a sharp fillet knife and carve the bones off prior to cooking. When bone-in PR goes on sale here usually 4.99/lb I buy up 20 pounds at a time and cut them into ribeye steaks. Can’t buy even lesser quality steak for that price. The bones come off and when I collect enough they all get smoked for a nice treat.  Fat trimmings get fed to the birds which love the little treat as well. Nothing goes to waste. 

I am smoking a 6 pound PR for Christmas tomorrow, which I trimmed off bones and saved for later. It’s been in the fridge wrapped in cheesecloth for the past 5 days to dry age, will be trimming and seasoning it tonight for cooking tomorrow. Last time I did a PR cook I used John Setzlers method and results were fabulous.  Good luck!

Rib roasts go on sale just before the holidays here and we try to get the largest we can. This year it's a19#

bone in roast, trimmed and tied. I'll remove the bones and save them to be cooked later either smoked

on the offset or grilled. Sometimes my wife will take a few and use them to make French Onion soup.

As for carving, it depends if your roast was already cut and tied. If so, all you have to do after the roast is

rested is to cut the strings and pull the bones away from the roast, then finish cutting them off. Slice your

roast to the desired thickness and enjoy. If your roast was not cut and tied, follow this video for a "How To".

And for the temp probe - insert it into the thickest part of the roast. You should be fine.

The most flavorful meat is next to the bones.........  While you are eating your prime rib roast tomorrow, I will be doing a light smoke barbecue on the ribs only.  A local chef/caterer finds it more economical to buy bone in, and bone it himself before cooking, and often gives me trimmed off bones with a generous amount of meat in exchange for things I do for him.   I cook them in sous vide to 130, and have begun putting them in the kamado frozen, and smoke cooking them just enough to thaw and bring them up to eating temp.  You don't get a lot of meat per bone, but the meat next to the bone is by far the best!!

H.W.