Sign in to follow this  
daninpd

What's Better Than Bacon?

On a recent cooking show I watched, the host was talking with a chef who was cooking a bacon dish and asked the chef "What's better than bacon?"  The chef took him seriously, cocked his head to the side, thought for a little bit and replied "More bacon".  So that is the theme I have adopted for making holiday hors d'oeuvres:  More Bacon.   I did a little game day hors d'oeuvres platter consisting of:

Mini BLT's

Bacon Spirals with a Peach Glaze

Bacon Wrapped Chicken Livers with Chupacabra

Bacon Wrapped Dates Stuffed with Goat Cheese

Bacon Wrapped Tater Tots with  Sharp Cheddar Cheese

For the last three items the name of the dish pretty much also includes the recipe, the first two can use some pictures and a recipe.  The Mini BLT's were small tomatoes, tops cut off and hollowed out with a melon baller and stuffed with a mixture of crisp bacon, finely cut celery and mayo and topped with a little bit of crisp bacon.  This was the only dish not cooked on the Joe, did the bacon in the microwave.  The bacon spirals are best seen in the pictures.  I flattened out a can of crescent roll dough, topped it with peach jam and some partially cooked bacon (still flexible), cut it to fit the bacon and rolled into rolls with enough of a tail to seal the package.  Topped each roll with more peach jam.

Set the Joe up for direct and indirect and baked the spirals at 350 on the indirect side and everything else started on the direct side, moving things around a bit.  The spirals took about 18 minutes to get properly brown.  Excellent game day grub with a fancy name.

DMP_2242.JPG

DMP_2244.JPG

DMP_2246.JPG

DMP_2247.JPG

DMP_2248.JPG

DMP_2249.JPG

DMP_2254.JPG

DMP_2255.JPG

DMP_2256.JPG

DMP_2257.JPG

DMP_2259.JPG

DMP_2260.JPG

To answer your title question: 

What's better than bacon..? 

I submitted the question to a mainframe computer with 9000 gigawatts of power and after several
hours of computations the computer answered:   More Bacon

22 minutes ago, Grill_Boy said:

I submitted the question to a mainframe computer with 9000 gigawatts of power and after several
hours of computations the computer answered:   More Bacon

Thank you for the computer time, but the chef came up with the same answer in about 3 seconds.  Of course he had to cock his head to the side while he was thinking and I haven't encountered a computer that can do that.