wk3660

How to choose a wireless thermometer

Just received my Kamado Joe.  I had an egg years ago, way before technology introduced itself into the sphere.  There is so much information and so many products to chose from I am in information overload.  I will be doing brisket & pulled pork from time to time, but will mainly do chicken and the usual dinner staples.  Should I make the investment into something that is scalable with a fan added eventually, or just get a great wireless thermometer and trust proven cooking ability and forget about a fan.  Thanks for the replies. 

I got the Smoke and loved it. I also got a PartyQ because I wanted to do overnight cooks and also get some sleep. The PartyQ was okay, but running off of batteries was a pain. I got the Thermoworks Signals and Billows as a Christmas gift. I was a little leery at first because I had read where some had trouble connecting to the Wifi and Thermoworks wasn't great with the customer service. Maybe they updated the software to fix the issue because I didn't have a problem connecting to my Wifi. I only used it for a bit last night, but that really seems cool.

Of course you should learn how to use the grill without a fan, but having one is really nice. The ability to monitor or alter a cook while I am at work or anywhere else with my phone is a game changer for me. 

I have a Smoke and it seems like the meat thermometer has begun to read low. A cheap instant read and old dial thermometers agreed to the higher temp than the smoke was reading. 

I'm using a Maverick with my Joe.  I have gained confidence in the ability to hold a steady temp and have done some overnight cooks.  I don't live in a particularly windy area and don't know how that would change things.  Having the hand-held on the nightstand is nice to be able to roll over, eyeball it and drop back off.

On 12/27/2019 at 5:54 PM, DrunkenMeatFist said:

I got the Smoke and loved it. I also got a PartyQ because I wanted to do overnight cooks and also get some sleep. The PartyQ was okay, but running off of batteries was a pain. I got the Thermoworks Signals and Billows as a Christmas gift. I was a little leery at first because I had read where some had trouble connecting to the Wifi and Thermoworks wasn't great with the customer service. Maybe they updated the software to fix the issue because I didn't have a problem connecting to my Wifi. I only used it for a bit last night, but that really seems cool.

Of course you should learn how to use the grill without a fan, but having one is really nice. The ability to monitor or alter a cook while I am at work or anywhere else with my phone is a game changer for me. 

Have you used it anymore?  I like the idea of a water resistant system and monitoring by phone.   It seems like the billows is pretty new, are you staying connected with that attached?  Is there much ash that blows up to the food?

13 minutes ago, wk3660 said:

Have you used it anymore?  I like the idea of a water resistant system and monitoring by phone.   It seems like the billows is pretty new, are you staying connected with that attached?  Is there much ash that blows up to the food?

I used it again yesterday, but not on the kamado. I have a Barrel House Cooker and since it only cost me $45 I put a hole in the side big enough for the Billows. I haven't had any connectivity issues since the initial set up. I haven't really messed with the graphing portion of the app, but it has stored data from my first two cooks. Never had any problems with ash blowing on the food with the PartyQ or this new gadget. You can also do more than monitor the cook with your phone. You can adjust the temp of the Billows on the app so if I am elsewhere and I want to increase the grill temp I can jack it up on the phone. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By itskrod00
      Want to purchase one of these accessories.  My question is can the soap stone do everything the cast iron can do plus more?

I imagine the soapstone wouldnt get as hot as the cast iron?
      I imagine the cast iron cooking, more food would possibly stick and more maintenance

or

are they too very different tools for different type cooks/food.
    • By Smokingdadbbq
      In this video, you will find all of the information necessary to properly unbox and assemble your new Kamado Joe Classic III grill.  I didn't think to make a video for the first one, so thought I would share tips I picked up from doing it a second time around.

• By burnt_ends
      Hi, I followed the steps in this video
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qm-nm4Z7wA&t=15s
      and I my brisket turned out dry and dense. I'm hoping you can tell me where I went wrong:
      - ~5.5 lbs (pre-trimmed) of Prime Angus grain fed brisket point from https://shalhoob.com/butcher-shop - trimmed as much of the silver skin off as I could - trimmed off hard fat and tried to leave 1/8" to 1/4" of fat - seasoned 24 hours prior to cook with 50/50 coarse black pepper and kosher salt - used Kamado Joe lump charcoal and two medium chucks of mesquite hardwood - ambient outside temperature was low-mid 80s - waited until grill came up to temp and smoke was mostly clear before putting meat on - put meat on fat side down - cooked in Classic III using sloroller, on the lower level rack - cooked with water pan on grill - used Thermopro two probe digital thermometer (1 probe at grill level, 1 probe in thickest part of brisket) - grill temp ranged between 245-270, but mostly 250-260 - took ~6.5 hrs to get to 170 internal temp - wrapped in foil at 172 - took ~1.5 hrs to get to 203  - at ~203 a wood shish kabob skewer did go through meat, but still felt a little resistance. At this point I pulled it b/c I was concerned about over cooking - kept in foil, wrapped in towel, put in cooler for 1.5 hrs
      The brisket had bark and a smoke ring. Pencil thin slice passed pull test. But it was dry and dense.  The attached photos are from the day after the cook and the meat is cold.

Where do I go wrong?

Thanks!!

• By KamadoHop
      Thanks to @Kamadobjorn for the inspiration. The table is the “Applaro” Line. The hardware that you see in the last pictures all came from Hobby Lobby. The table comes with a thin, cheap pull bar and nothing else, not even knobs for the doors. The cooler pic is just for reference as that was what I was doing prior to getting the table. The last pic is sans hardware just the way it comes from IKEA. 

I used Lenox 18TPI metal jigsaw blades with an adjustable speed jigsaw set to its lowest setting to cut the hole. I used this edge trim from Amazon: Trim

If you have any other questions just ask. Cheers. 

• By buckleybj
      I accidentally bought a two pack of bonless pork shoulder from Costco. I have always used bone-in, so this is new to me. As I was preparing the butts trimming sinew, silver skin, hard fat, veins etc, I started also cutting portions of the butts into sections. I now have two 4 lb boneless butts and several large scraps.

This has provided me the opportunity to use the vertical spit I bought from Ceramicgrillstore.com a few months ago. I'm excited to say the least. 

I'll post picture of the meal later this afternoon when I build it get it going. Here are pics of what I ended up with after trimming and then the portions I will smoke overnight for pulled pork tomorrow.