Vacuum Tumbler Marinator.

So I found a vacuum marinator on Ebay for $65. It's the top of the line home model from the information I found. While there is allot of controversy over the effectiveness of these machine to get marinade into meat I figured what the heck. I need to start marinating more so let's give it a whirl. Gonna do fajita chicken thighs today. If anyone has any experience with these let me know. Finding useful information hasn't been that easy.

I did have to replace the internal vacuum hoses as they were dry rotted, but luckily I had what I needed on hand.

20191230_170345.jpg

20191231_125107.jpg

20191230_170258.jpg

All in I like it. I wouldn't pay brand new price for it($250), but for $65 with shipping and a little restoration work I think it adds to the capability I want. 

Cleanup wasn't too bad either I washed it out and put some soap and hot water in it and let it tumble for a while. Then washed it out again and let it dry. The capacity of it is nice too. I can prolly fit a whole bone in turkey breast in it or a whole large chicken.

I cant wait to do some jerky in it. Take the two day process down to a 1 day makes it allot more manageable.

I might be wrong but this may be similar to what's used to make Seaside Market's famous burgundy pepper tri-tip, aka Cardiff Crack in SoCal. As far as I know the recipe is a secret but there are some guesses online. I had the chance to make it while down there on vacation and it was amazing even off the rusted gasser at our rental house.

Nice. I might give tri tip a shot. The chicken thighs were really good. The wife had seconds and while nawing on a leftover told me she didnt really like thighs, but she liked these. I think the tenderizing tumble is allot of what makes it special. Allot of what I have read say the vaccum doesnt give better penetration especially compared to a long soak, but with the tumble it penetrates at a faster rate and tenderizes the meat. I put them in while they were still pretty frozen and in an hour they were like if I had thawed them and marinated them over night. Also they were less "stringy" than some thighs I have cooked hot and fast.

• 3 weeks later...

I really like the unit thus far. I have done chicken with a couple of different approaches. I want to do the cardiff crack, but just haven't found the time yet. The ebay seller refunded me $20 after I let then know about the internal hoses, so I'm all in for $45. 

So, what’s the deal with vacuum marinating? I get that tumbling might tenderize, but I’m having trouble wrapping my head around vacuum marination. I think foodsaver has a marinating container. Wouldn’t vacuum just suck any gas from the container and its contents? 

maybe I’m just daft

18 minutes ago, Chris Topher said:

So, what’s the deal with vacuum marinating? I get that tumbling might tenderize, but I’m having trouble wrapping my head around vacuum marination. I think foodsaver has a marinating container. Wouldn’t vacuum just suck any gas from the container and its contents? 

So from what I have read the vacuum doesn't do much in the way of getting the marinade deeper into the meat. The vacuum possibly lend to faster marinading, but not a deeper penetration when compared to something marinaded fully submerged for 24 hours. What it does in this instance is create a super tight seal so when the container is turning it doesn't leak and speeds the marinating and tenderizing process. It could help in marinating penetration in other items that are more porous than meat, but I have not read much on that.