Smoked Chuck Roast

23 hours ago, len440 said:

I smoke chuck roast do to only 2 of us the left overs go into beef stew

Try pulling it and making tacos or spicing it up a bit with stewed peppers and such and making a sandwich on a Kaiser bun.

Do a search on pepper stout beef (Larry Wolfe's recipe) for hints on jazzing up that leftover beef for sandwiches.  Or just slice it thin for luncheon meat sandwiches.

On my last Post i didn't put finished temp, it was 195. Yesterday because there is only 2 of us i smoked a small Chuck roast. I love brisket but this thing is so juicy  any has a great flavor it's now my go to cook. I cooked it for about 9 Hrs. at 225- 230 internal temp  was 195.

Chuck roast 04-13-2020 -1.jpg

Chuck Roast 04-13-2020-2.jpg

On 4/19/2020 at 4:16 PM, prowe said:

This was an amazing recipe done by @DerHuske

That Pepper Stout Beef recipe was first posted by Larry Wolfe on the Weber Forum (charcoal) many years ago.  It has been re-posted on probably every board since (sometimes with minor variations).  Anyone who hasn't tried it...should.

It's still available on his blog, The Wolfe Pit.

• 2 months later...
On 4/19/2020 at 10:15 AM, eric said:

On my last Post i didn't put finished temp, it was 195. Yesterday because there is only 2 of us i smoked a small Chuck roast. I love brisket but this thing is so juicy  any has a great flavor it's now my go to cook. I cooked it for about 9 Hrs. at 225- 230 internal temp  was 195.

Chuck roast 04-13-2020 -1.jpg

Chuck Roast 04-13-2020-2.jpg

What was the weight & did you wrap it in butcher paper or foil? 

looks great!

i agree with you that while brisket is BRISKET, for my go-to beef smokes, I go with chucks, cheaper, easier to find, easier to scale for a crowd (I can fit two chucks on the main grate and then 2 more on the expander, instead of one bigger brisket), and they take so much less time, allowing me to get the beef done, and have enough coal left over in the box to ramp up temps and get right to burgers and dogs.

I'm not saying i'll never do brisket again, I'm just saying that i'll do a lot more chuck roasts in my life than I will briskets

Rubbed with Worcestershire sauce and my favorite brisket rub.  Smoke-roasted at 250°, indirect with a bit of hickory smoke wood and a pan on the X-bracket to catch the renderings.

Screen_Shot_2020-06-30_at_8_48.04_PM.thumb.png.b3511e25092c441db4798bd66d2e0fd7.png 

I figured six hours.  It took about seven to get to 205° IT.  I kept telling Marcia, "It's done when it"s done."

1791679459_ScreenShot2020-06-30at8_47_25PM.thumb.png.8e34a79e87fc5349a26f5bbbf7f4ba48.png

It was quite good.  We're not a fan of bark.  We consider it just overcooked meat.  But it was tolerable.  Not our favorite but we'd do it again.  We may try it without the rub.