Bark on steaks?

Hey all.

Cooked up my first tri-tip tonight on my Joe. Overall, it was really good. I made a rub with a combination of coffee, cocoa, and some smoked paprika. It ended up really tasty!

One question I had was this: I didn't seem to get a good crusty bark on my steak. I cooked indirectly until about 130° then seared on direct heat for around 3 minutes on each side. The bark was a little more moist than I had anticipated.

Any thoughts on how to get that good crust on the outside of your steaks?

F43EF087-83D4-4404-834F-110580F3E0DB.JPG

Actually, that looks like a really nice crust / bark in the pic although, I can see the moisture your talking about. Maybe try to pull the steak to  a cooler indirect heat spot and put each side face down to lower heat, maybe that will dry it out a bit. Although your steak looks great, so I wouldn't want to keep it on the grill much longer.  Here's another thought, when I cook Prime Rib I slather the roast with brown mustard and then sprinkle my rub on top of that. The mustard does not leave a taste, and combined with my rub   forms a nice thick crust. 

IMG_0237.thumb.jpeg.c7a968f70ad12ef9d1be52c0a57d1ce1.jpeg

7 hours ago, GrillDawg said:

Any thoughts on how to get that good crust on the outside...?

Yeah, cook it to 195F internal. I just did beef shoulder for "pulled beef." Had to mince the crusty bits. 

Last tri-tip was sous vide and sear, so a different type of crust. When smoking "tender" meats (to ~140-150F internal), you get darkening and flavor, but you'll be overdone before you get a crust in my experience. 

Have fun,

Frank

@keeperovdeflame I'll give the mustard a shot next time! Thanks for the advice.

@fbov Took me a sec to get your sarcasm on the 195 :-D I've never done a sous vide before, but want to try one!

@adam319 I really like the reverse sear method but I wonder if searing first would help. Appreciate the compliment. It was definitely tasty!

@Smokingdadbbq Grill dome temp was a little over 400° when I seared. Steaks were on the lower cooking space on the Joe. I wonder if I should have gotten it hotter?

8 minutes ago, GrillDawg said:

@keeperovdeflame I'll give the mustard a shot next time! Thanks for the advice.

@fbov Took me a sec to get your sarcasm on the 195 :-D I've never done a sous vide before, but want to try one!

@adam319 I really like the reverse sear method but I wonder if searing first would help. Appreciate the compliment. It was definitely tasty!

@Smokingdadbbq Grill dome temp was a little over 400° when I seared. Steaks were on the lower cooking space on the Joe. I wonder if I should have gotten it hotter?

yes you need to be hotter. 700-800 is perfect 

7C1ABFB0-F753-443C-9DB5-221A1149854C.jpeg

65818F3A-A24F-4AB7-AF58-AC871DF67F80.jpeg