I got an Anova and I'm very frustrated :(

My birthday was this past Saturday and I got a new Anova Precision from my in-laws.  Today I prepared some stuff to make tacos from a recipe to try out the cooker.  First issue I'm having is it wont connect to the wifi to pair the app to the cooker.  While using it manually, it shut off once on me after a few minutes.  I set it all up again and after awhile the play button lit up red and the screen displayed the word STOP.  I've set it up yet again and at this point I'm just hoping my food is done for dinner and is cooked properly.  

They are great units. I think you will enjoy it after you get the bugs straightened out. Mine is rock solid but I must admit that I don't use wifi with it, just Bluetooth. I guess I just got used to using it that way.

Are you cooking in a pot or a cooler? I use mini ping pong balls to keep the steam from getting into the electronics as much as possible.

Happy cooking

I have a bluetooth anova and it works well, even when I set it and then disconnect. Not sure if your unit has Bluetooth as well, but if it does, I’d try that. As far as having issues over wifi, there may be some other equipment causing interference or it may be something with your router/gateway. I’d check up on that first. Make sure your WiFi is broadcasting on a clear channel and that everything is set up properly on that end. 

I figured it out last night.  The Anova wont connect to the wifi if you have any special character in the password. This is a major PITA because now I need to re-log everything into my home's wifi with a new password. 

I made tacos last night and they came out very well even though it was a PITA having to babysit the cooker to reset it occasionally. 

Tonight I'll be doing a t-bone steak. Hopefully the cooker is easier to use with wifi connectivity. 

4 hours ago, GLOCKer said:

I figured it out last night.  The Anova wont connect to the wifi if you have any special character in the password. This is a major PITA because now I need to re-log everything into my home's wifi with a new password. 

I made tacos last night and they came out very well even though it was a PITA having to babysit the cooker to reset it occasionally. 

Tonight I'll be doing a t-bone steak. Hopefully the cooker is easier to use with wifi connectivity. 

Don't know what kind of router you have, but mine allows me to setup different wireless broadcast domains with different security parameters.  I briefly setup a non-broadcasting wireless network in addition to my standard networks that used an older authentication method with MAC filtering setup so an older device could connect.  You could do something similar for IoT devices that can be finicky with complex passwords or difficult interfaces for entering the password. 

14 minutes ago, Tarnation said:

Don't know what kind of router you have, but mine allows me to setup different wireless broadcast domains with different security parameters.  I briefly setup a non-broadcasting wireless network in addition to my standard networks that used an older authentication method with MAC filtering setup so an older device could connect.  You could do something similar for IoT devices that can be finicky with complex passwords or difficult interfaces for entering the password. 

I know I made tacos last night with the sous vide, but that doesn't mean I know how to speak Spanish my friend! :-D

10 minutes ago, GLOCKer said:

I know I made tacos last night with the sous vide, but that doesn't mean I know how to speak Spanish my friend! :-D

Is there anyone in your house around the age of 15 or do you have a techie neighbor who can translate?  Or you need a good nerd friend.

On 1/7/2020 at 8:54 AM, Tarnation said:

Is there anyone in your house around the age of 15 or do you have a techie neighbor who can translate? 

It used to be the kid you could call to get the tops off of "Child Proof" pill bottles, and then it was the kid you could find to set the time on your VCR.  Even more complicated now.:-D

• 4 months later...

I have a couple of Anovas and to be honest never use the app or connectivity at all. I just set them manually. Part of the beauty of sous vide is that you don't need to be constantly alerted to what's going on as it will just get to the preset temp and then hold there.

I will admit I was excited about it when I got the first one, but after a while it was just "meh. why bother"....

Agree.  I am somewhat enamored with the Internet of things but I don't see the usefulness in having my water oven connected.  I'm not going to change it when I'm not nearby (in fact, I'm not going to change it when I am nearby).  So I use my Anova in manual mode.

13 hours ago, pmillen said:

So I use my Anova in manual mode.

I've some had hiccups connecting to and being disconnected from my Anova. I find myself not bothering with the app and just going manual 99+% of the time. 

• 3 weeks later...