ckreef

Solo Stove Bonfire - Mrs skreef's new fire pit.

10 hours ago, Tspud1 said:

My Bonfire with cover I made to put on when fire burns down or if it starts to rain

20200512_111437_(1).jpg

That's really nice, you do excellent work. I actually have a project I've wanted you to fabricate for me for a while now. Basically what you did for your Bonfire but a rectangle for my Konro Yakitori grill. Would you be willing to take on this project? Should be easier than a circle. 

Charles 

This place is so bad for me - just ordered one of these! :-D

they look a great idea, I’d never heard of them before yesterday. Really looking forward to being able to have a fire out here without tons of smoke billowing off it. 

59 minutes ago, &roid said:

This place is so bad for me - just ordered one of these! :-D

they look a great idea, I’d never heard of them before yesterday. Really looking forward to being able to have a fire out here without tons of smoke billowing off it. 

You won't be sorry you made the purchase. Used our the last 2 nights. 

I bought the Ranger to take camping and one drawback to it is you have to cut your logs in half to fit if you want smokeless. That and it doesn’t put out a lot of heat from your knees down. Wish I had went with the bonfire. 

Bought one for the wife for Mother's Day, also bought the screen cover to prevent floating embers, and the stand.  Once the monsoons stop for a while, we can give it a try.

Do you have to get right over it to feel the heat or will you still feel it a little ways away? (I mean in general not just from the knees down)
I heard one person say the heat doesn't radiate out much and shoots straight up.

Also, how is it for sparks? I live in California with a big hill in my backyard and my uptight neighbors would be upset if I accidentally lit the neighborhood on fire.

22 minutes ago, helliger said:

Do you have to get right over it to feel the heat or will you still feel it a little ways away? (I mean in general not just from the knees down)
I heard one person say the heat doesn't radiate out much and shoots straight up.

Also, how is it for sparks? I live in California with a big hill in my backyard and my uptight neighbors would be upset if I accidentally lit the neighborhood on fire.

Generally speaking it radiates heat fairly well. If you get it going really good it radiates a lot of heat. It burns so clean it doesn't spark much. They do make a really nice looking top screen to keep any stray embers in. I don't have the screen and I burn this fairly close to the house and never worried about it but the screen would give you added protection. Also with the riser you can use it on your lawn without scorching the grass underneath. 

That’s good to know about the riser - I have a resin-bound patio just at the back of our house, would I be able to use it on that with the riser?

3 hours ago, &roid said:

That’s good to know about the riser - I have a resin-bound patio just at the back of our house, would I be able to use it on that with the riser?

I would say absolutely yes. I would use it on a wood deck without worry. The way it's designed (with the air flow) and the riser it just doesn't get hot at ground level. 

I love it! Had a great fire with it last night, really lived up to the smoke-free marketing and it’s a beautiful piece of kit. 

made a second fire tonight and made a couple of mistakes which caused it to smoke a lot. I *think* what I did wrong was use less kindling to get started then tried to burn a couple of too-large logs before it was hot enough. Does that sound like it

might cause a bit of smoke? 

how full do people tend to fill these? I gather going above the rim is not recommended but do you pretty much fill them when the fires going well?

6037D1B7-F62C-4BAE-96AF-755647769125.thumb.jpeg.e4d2f05245b20981f6a496f00f31e329.jpeg8627C25A-A5FF-44B3-8409-3E38D7AC491B.thumb.jpeg.0357f7133099e6de2ccd53d90bd63bec.jpeg

56 minutes ago, &roid said:

I love it! Had a great fire with it last night, really lived up to the smoke-free marketing and it’s a beautiful piece of kit. 

made a second fire tonight and made a couple of mistakes which caused it to smoke a lot. I *think* what I did wrong was use less kindling to get started then tried to burn a couple of too-large logs before it was hot enough. Does that sound like it

might cause a bit of smoke? 

how full do people tend to fill these? I gather going above the rim is not recommended but do you pretty much fill them when the fires going well?

6037D1B7-F62C-4BAE-96AF-755647769125.thumb.jpeg.e4d2f05245b20981f6a496f00f31e329.jpeg8627C25A-A5FF-44B3-8409-3E38D7AC491B.thumb.jpeg.0357f7133099e6de2ccd53d90bd63bec.jpeg

Yes too little kindling and too big of logs in the beginning will cause a bunch of smoke. Once going good it'll burn just about anything. I fill it up, fire it up and walk away for 15 or 20 minutes. After that it's usually going good and very little smoke from then on. Try and keep your logs under the rim if possible. 

I did have a fire wood place cut and split me logs 14"-16" long, that seems like the sweet size. 

On 5/24/2020 at 7:28 AM, ckreef said:

That's really nice, you do excellent work. I actually have a project I've wanted you to fabricate for me for a while now. Basically what you did for your Bonfire but a rectangle for my Konro Yakitori grill. Would you be willing to take on this project? Should be easier than a circle. 

Charles 

sure, i have made over 4000 covers in last year for Camp Chef and Blackstone griddles so yours should be easy

Outdoor_Gourmet_&_Custom.jpg