timfear

Crock Pot Ceramic Insert on Kamado

I looked around and couldn't find any discussion on this. I have been in the market for a dutch oven. I have a small one but need a larger one. I made some chili on the kamado and it was a hit so I have to (get to) do it again.

I have a broken crock-pot. Wire got burnt and I've tried to fix it and I guess I just don't have the skill. Anyway, have wasted a lot of time trying to fix it. 

As I was about to toss it I realize perhaps I could use the 7 quart ceramic insert for my chili. Anyone else ever tried to use ceramic on a Kamado? I can't imagine why it would not work - Crock Pot says it can go in oven up to 400 degrees and I'm cooking at much lower temp. But thought I'd run it by the pros.

Thanks!

A. Nice AU logo. And welcome to the Guru. :)

B. The insert should work OK, especially in the 200-350° range, but the exterior won't look very good after a few cooks, even with scrubbing. 

I use various ceramic dishes in the Kamados all the time. A ceramic crock pot should work fine. Around 275* indirect should get you a slow boil after an hour or two. A Mr Clean Magic Eraser will get the smoke stain off the outside without too much scrubbing. 

I've used a ceramic Tagine - Moroccan crock pot - several times on my Kamado with no problem.

I use an indirect setup and put the Tagine on when I light the coals. That allows the ceramic to

come up to temp without causing thermal shock and possible breakage.

Awesome, thanks everyone. I'm not so concerned about the look, just the function. I mad the chili this weekend with four quart cast iron but it was full to the brim and I wanted to make more. I'll give this a shot, keep it out of the landfill for now.

Thanks,

14 minutes ago, philpom said:

I love my beautiful stained pizza stones, like a badge of honor.  I have friends that will 86 you if you clean the crud off of their Dutch ovens.

My grills and associated 'stuff' are not prom queens.  They defensive linemen for whoever just played LSU.

4 hours ago, ckreef said:

A Mr Clean Magic Eraser will get the smoke stain off the outside without too much scrubbing. 

off topic, but it’s amazing what those magic erasers will do! I power washed my garage door a few months ago, to no avail, trying to rid some mildew/mold. A quick once-over with the magic eraser and back to new!

3 hours ago, Chris Topher said:

off topic, but it’s amazing what those magic erasers will do! I power washed my garage door a few months ago, to no avail, trying to rid some mildew/mold. A quick once-over with the magic eraser and back to new!

Yea they really are Magic Erasers B)

I have four unglazed stoneware baking dishes of varying sizes and shapes that I use all the time in my Big Joe. They're all discolored from sitting in smoke, but they work beautifully.

The one on the left was fairly new in this picture. You can see how dark the other one is after years of use. It's like seasoning on cast iron.

IMG_4105.thumb.JPG.e6bba1019e73671df3395d7256993d13.JPG

22 hours ago, Chris Topher said:

pro-tip, you can just buy a bulk pack of 100 "melamine sponges" which are basically generic versions of mister cleans marked up magic eraser for like, 20 bucks, or you can spend twice as much on the mister clean brand

On 1/8/2020 at 1:07 PM, Brick Pig said:

I have four unglazed stoneware baking dishes of varying sizes and shapes that I use all the time in my Big Joe. They're all discolored from sitting in smoke, but they work beautifully.

The one on the left was fairly new in this picture. You can see how dark the other one is after years of use. It's like seasoning on cast iron.

IMG_4105.thumb.JPG.e6bba1019e73671df3395d7256993d13.JPG

How well do these cleanup, @Brick Pig?  I’m not sure I’ve seen or heard much about unglazed stoneware. I’m intrigued....

On 1/7/2020 at 5:24 PM, ckreef said:

Around 275* indirect should get you a slow boil after an hour or two.

This is extremely useful info thanks!