keeperovdeflame

Don't kick your gasser to the curb!

With the right technique, a gasser or any grill for that matter,  can turn out some amazing cooks. I did bone in pork chops, and made a nice risotto with garlic, a Granny Smith apple, and some sliced yellow onion on my Weber Summit, for last night's dinner. I filled the smoke tray with soaked pecan chips.   I used a small cast iron pan to braise the apple chunks, onion, and whole garlic cloves in chicken broth. When the apples, garlic, and onion were soft I added them to some packaged risotto in a small dutch oven also on the grill. I smoked the chops standing vertical in a taco rack and then finished them flat on the grate.  Came out great and made for a wonderful dinner. Chops took about 20 min start to finish. This cook is in the regular rotation at our place. Quick and Easy .

IMG_0781.thumb.jpeg.15295181006b0cd01d90a1e0a71a0488.jpeg

IMG_0782.thumb.jpeg.00a903472de7ad8a37658ecdb36a9950.jpeg

IMG_0786.thumb.jpeg.3aff29969fa37aa048f18aeba97cc96f.jpeg

A nice gasser has its place in the lineup. I just don't have much space left and not sure I want to give up the limited real estate for a gasser. I do have an old gasser out in the bone yard I might fix it up and take to work. Would make for quick burgers or chicken for lunch at work. 

Interesting thread timing for me...just this past Tuesday I grilled 7 US Prime NY Strip Steaks because I wanted to do a family taste test on how we liked them best.  All were seasoned the same and cooked to the same internal temp.

One group was on my KJ.  High heat sear, finished on indirect heat.

One group on my natural gas Weber Summit. High heat sear, finished on low heat.

One group on a cast iron pan, high heat sear finished in a 500F oven, basting in butter.

Our results:

KJ - 2 first place votes, 1 second place vote, 1 third place vote (wifey)

Weber - 2 first place votes, 2 second place votes

Cast Iron - 1 second place vote, 3 third place votes

5 hours ago, Struja said:

Interesting thread timing for me...just this past Tuesday I grilled 7 US Prime NY Strip Steaks because I wanted to do a family taste test on how we liked them best.  All were seasoned the same and cooked to the same internal temp.

I have done pretty much the same thing. I cooked two identical size  prime rib eyes, one on my summit and one on my Egg.  I called the post "a Tale of Two Rib Eyes". Just my wife  and I voting. We picked the steak cooked on the Egg because of the charcoal essence. Other than that factor, the two steaks looked the same, and had very similar texture and bite. Although from a cooks point of view, I enjoy cooking on the Egg more than I do the Weber. The Weber is a tool, but the Egg is always pure  fun. 

I kicked my gasser to the curb, because the firebox was falling off of its mounts from rust and the heat deflector collapsed from rust.  I probably would have kept it if it were structurally sound and replaced the heat deflector.  This was a cheap Char Broil so nothing of real value was lost.  I've used my dad's gasser to complete some reverse sears before.  Toss my cast iron on there, crank up his gasser, and finish sear.  I want another gas grill at some point, because its too annoying and wasteful to fire up my charcoal grills for mid week hot dogs or bubba burgers.  Either that or I need to get a small charcoal grill, like a 13".  That said I have done far more mid week pork loin cooks to justify the effort and they do end up oh so tasty.