Deadphans

New Owner questions

Hello everyone,

I just received my Vision Pro S yesterday and I am excited.  I have never owned a Kamado before and am still learning the terminology so please, bear with me :)

I have not had a chance to set it up but I did unbox everything to take a look at it.  I noticed a few pits/scrapes on the outer edge.  I also noticed the front controller does not seem to sit perfectly flush with the ceramic body.  Although right now it is sitting on the ground - perhaps this will improve/be eliminated when it is sitting in its stand?  What has been bothering me the most is the top lid seems to have an "underbite" with the bottom lid by about 1/2" on the left side only.  Everywhere else looks like it matches up perfectly.  Any insight on how I can remedy these issues?  I would greatly appreciate your thoughts and remedies. I will provide pictures when I get home. 

Thank you!

Welcome Deadphans, glad to have both you and your new Vision, with us. I learned to kamado cook on a Vision Pro C, which is almost identical to your grill except for the shape and knob configurations on the ash drawer assembly. Your Vision is a great grill choice and a very capable kamado with good customer service.  Dome to kettle misalignment is a common issue and can be fixed. Here is post on the subject from Primo Grills. Different from your Vision but basically the same information and process for correcting  alignment even with the difference in make of grill. Happy Cooking.  Also, please stop by the Intro thread and let all our members, regardless of the kamado brand they cook on, know who you are, etc. 

http://ceramicgrillstorepics.com/primogrill/primo-dome-base-alignment-worksheet.pdf

You will like your grill. I'm a little over a month in and I think the S is a great implementation of a kamado cooker. I have added a woo ring and a charcoal basket. The woo ring brings the cooking grate even with the lid and the charcoal basket let's you sift the ash easily.

34 minutes ago, pr0wlunwoof said:

You will like your grill. I'm a little over a month in and I think the S is a great implementation of a kamado cooker. I have added a woo ring and a charcoal basket. The woo ring brings the cooking grate even with the lid and the charcoal basket let's you sift the ash easily.

Thank you for the recommendation. I do have a question regarding grate height. If I have burgers (or anything for that matter) on the bottom and top grate how do you flip the bottom burgers? It looks like it will be tight down there for the spatula. Or is there an add on for that too? 

Speaking specifically about burgers, you'd probably just want to do one grate and have a drip pan under them. That grease on those coals will really get some flames going when you open the lid. Others may have different results, but I've lost the hair on my arms a few times with burgers and no pan.

If you want to cook things that require flipping on both racks, use only 1/2 of the top rack because it is hinged and flips up, but yes, it would be difficult because it still doesnt leave much room to reach to the far back of the lower rack.

+1 on the drip pan or something to catch the grease. You will have a sizable flame from the grease dripping otherwise.

Thank you for the suggestions!

i set my grill up this passed weekend and noticed there is a slight bend on the face plate near the knobs on both sides. I was looking at CaptnCooks post in the air leak thread and feel like that bend also exists on his. 

is this part of the design or a warranty claim?  

I am currently away on a business trip but can provide pictures when I get back. 

thank you and enjoy your day!