Daz

TempMaster Portable smoker controller has arrived

Hi all, just want to make a quick announcement on my 2nd controller project, the TempMaster Portable has now arrived in our Atlanta warehouse and ready for shipping. On this 2nd round of making a controller, we focused on portability. It carried over all the goodies from 1st gen but in a much more compact form. It'll keep a smoker steady for 20+ hours if powered by a 12v battery pack. We also designed a carry-all case so everything can be easily transported. I started making my own smoker controller 6 years ago as a hobby, it's now making a footprint in the smoking business and winning awards at industry tradeshows. Thanks for all the supports from this forum, i learned a lot. You can find more info on this controller at BBQube.us

Happy Smoking!

portable06.jpg

portable01.jpg

Kamado-Go20.jpg

portable05.jpg

BBQ-QUBE2-5A.jpg

BBQ-QUBE2-7A.jpg

BBQ-QUBE2-8A.jpg

BBQ-KGO-1-7A.jpg

Just curious - 

What is the maximum temperature ratings for the different probes? 

Is this unit water proof or does the case act as a water proof case when in use? 

Is there an instruction manual that can be download for both the controller and Kamado-grill? 

1 hour ago, ckreef said:

Just curious - 

What is the maximum temperature ratings for the different probes? 

Is this unit water proof or does the case act as a water proof case when in use? 

Is there an instruction manual that can be download for both the controller and Kamado-grill? 

so all these probes are resistor type of probes and they'll max out around 600 to 700 degrees. We're putting in a thermocouple probe in our new Kamado-Go grill (it'll have a built-in digital thermometer!) thermocouple can go over 1200 degrees. 

the unit is not water proof but will work in the rain. It can also stay in the case and you can have the lid cover over it, that's how I use it. 

The manual for the controller is downloadable from our website and I'm still working on the Kamado-Go grill's manual. That'll be available for download this week.

1 hour ago, O C said:

In the market for a controller, this looks really good!

I have one of the first gen controllers and it works good.  I just did a pork butt cook from Sunday night 10PM - Monday 2:30PM in my Akorn it gave me 0 problems.  The bluetooth range for monitoring isn't the greatest and my older S8 doesn't like to stay connected as well as my S10 does, but I have no complaints with the actual temperature control portion.  I always run a different bluetooth probe setup that has higher range anyway and they both are always within a couple of degrees of each other.  I wonder how long that battery pack would run my first gen controller.

Me too lol. While researching controllers found out a year ago i was looking into the original. But got sidetracked onto the Traeger 575. Which has been a great grill, but grilling is a journey and there are many paths, so now I have a new one :)

Received the unit this afternoon. Did a thorough cleaning of the Akorn this morning, wasn't as bad as I thought it would be since its been sitting idle on the deck for the past 6 or 7 months.

First impressions are very good. Easy to setup, been running at level temps (225, then 350 then 400) for the past 4 hours. I had cleaned the grate and was basically reseasoning and doing a burn in. Potatoes on now, our go to chicken thighs on shortly.

Only minor issues, I did not notice that the main page of the website had a $10 off coupon code which wasn't obvious on the product page, so I missed out on that. Also I had to remove the left side screw to get the adapter on, so I'm not sure how easy it will be to switch it out if I don't want to use it. Video shows someone just kinda popping it in but I could not do that.
I'll be giving it all another once over tomorrow, grilled veggies and ribeyes. Looking forward to a pork butt cook later this week.

Hey Daz, let me know if there is a way to make up that missed coupon, I'd love to have the Akorn Jr adapter (should have ordered that along with the unit!).

After putting a slight curve in the adapter plate it now inserts and removes easily. The grill cooled off fine just turning off the fan, but i'll prefer to have it cool down without leaving the unit in place.

The storage case is nice. I already have an inverter for my EGO powertool batteries, so I have plenty of portable power. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Inkbird
      Hey guys,

Here we are sharing you Inkbird flash sale schedule, then you can pick up items at right time for the lowest price, please check pictures about flash sale items details:
      Brief Introduction To Flash Sale:
      25% off for IBT-6XS with six probes on 17 Dec;
      https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inkbird-Bluetooth-Thermometer-Li-Battery-Thermometers/dp/B071KXPSR1
      30% off for IBT-4XC with four probes on 19 Dec;
      https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inkbird-Waterproof-Bluetooth-Thermometer-Rechargeable/dp/B07TXZ4T77
      25% off for IBT-4XS with two/four probes on 19 Dec;
      https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inkbird-Bluetooth-Wireless-Thermometer-Magnetic/dp/B076QBJVWX
      30% off for IBBQ-4T WiFi with four probes on 21 Dec;
      https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inkbird-Thermometer-Rechargeable-Wireless-Calibration/dp/B07XL1P36N
      20% off for HET-F001 Instant Read Probe Thermometer on 21 Dec;
      https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inkbird-HET-F001-Foldable-Digital-Thermometer/dp/B078RLHYWD
      30% off for IHT-1P Rechargeable Probe Thermometer on 21 Dec.
      https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inkbird-Thermometer-Backlight-Calibration-Foldable/dp/B07XG6MQDT
      Please tag your friends who may need one. thank you. wish you a wonderful day.

• By Tarnation
      My old Char Broil propane burner was finished after 4 years of noble if uninspired service, good for steaks, chops, and chicken.  I decided to try the Kamado life based on recommendations.  The ceramics are a dream and maybe one day I'll cave and eat my shirt for an Egg or a Joe, but to get started I needed to jump in cheap.  I was looking at getting an Akorn, I have a buddy who has one and it does a good job for roughly 1/3rd to 1/4th the cost.  I went even cheaper to CraigsList.  $130 later I had a used, but in decent shape CharGriller KingGriller Akorn.

Originally he wanted $150 for it, but the back leg came off rolling it to the truck.  I figured it was fixable and was still going to buy it when he kicked me back a $20 for my troubles. He also threw in some gallon ziplocs with briquettes and lump and pretty much full bag of Kamado Joe BB XL.  He was getting rid of it since he bought a Traeger.  2 of the 3 rivnuts ripped out, I was able to hammer one back in and it tightened up, but the bottom one wasn't having it. I probably should have gone and bought some rivnuts and a gun and fixed it that way, but my dad figured a good stainless bolt through the lower body would do.  I figured it wouldn't hurt too much as long as we didn't over tighten the bolt and pinch the body, threw on a couple of washers on for good measure.   I bought some red RTV with plans to pop the bolt back off and seal it up a little, but it hasn't seemed necessary since I haven't had control issues.  I did add some gasket to the ash pan and body to help with some smoke leaks, but I doubt that was really necessary since it never got out of control and I could still kill the fire.

I have been doing tons of research and watching youtube videos since buying the Akorn.  I do recommend those fan temperature control adapters and bluetooth thermometers.   Again I'm cheap and wasn't about to spend more than I paid for the grill for one, so I got lucky and found a gently used BBQube on eBay for $50.  I had previously purchased a bluetooth thermometer on Amazon as well.  The BBQube is supposed to be a jack of all trades temp control/bluetooth thermometer device, but the bluetooth on mine at least isn't ideal(they have a firmware update I want to try).  The range isn't as good as my thermometer and it disconnected more than I would care for otherwise a worthwhile purchase and I recommend it or something like it (might have been caused by weather it got a little stormy both grill and controller were under a patio though and didn't get a drop of water on them).  When no one messed with my grill over an 18 hour cook it never went more than 25 degrees in either direction of my set temp 225.  Usually it would warm to 230s/240s then slowly go back down I don't think it ever dropped below 220 as long as the grill stayed closed.  Links to both devices below they also have apps for whatever platform phone you have.  We threw some hot dogs on for dinner since I had already fired it up instead of using the gas grill this caused my temp to drop to 180 and spike to 260 since the controller didn't know I was opening it and started blowing at 100% speed.  Found out later you can pause it when you open the grill and resume once you've closed it back and let the temp come back up.

I've found it isn't hard to maintain temps on the Akorn, you just have to occasionally go fiddle with the vents.  A smidge open , a smidge closed every so often just to keep it in that Goldilocks zone isn't terrible.  With a controller I went to sleep with the alarms set on my temp probe apps and they never once went off and woke me up all night.  Got up the next morning with a pork butt at 200 degrees tender and juicy.

Other notable purchases:
      High heat grill/welding gloves (burned off too many arm hairs flipping steaks)
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077M3Z8BM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      BBQube Temp Controller (I didn't pay that much, but I can see why you would, there are a few slightly cheaper options out there, but your trade off is features)
      https://www.amazon.com/BBQube-BBQ-QUBE-WEBKT-TempMaster-Temperature-Controller/dp/B07CZ3LHQR/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=bbqube&qid=1569437795&s=gateway&sr=8-1
      Bluetooth Thermometer (2 probes and really good range can't complain for the price)
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PYVLBSM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      Rib Rack
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AEGOQ9A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      Gasket Material
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015DAI8K0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      Grate Lifter(Don't know what happened to the one that came with the grill didn't think to ask when I bought it)
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RL5HD6K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All in I think I'm still under the cost of a brand new Akorn much less an Egg or a Joe. 
    • By Daz
      Just spent two days with the manufacture testing out the new Kamado-Go grill and it worked like a champ. Maintaining 250 degrees within 2-3 degrees of deviation for more than 7 hours before we had to wrap up the test. Insulated top lid with latch, stainless 304, folding side tables and legs, total weight 30lb (side table also dubs as handles for easy carry), and best of all, comes with our new gen of controller - TempMaster Portable. Cooking area is 305 sq inch which is comparable to the Akorn's 315 and ours is square! Other feaurtes include ash tray drawer, heat-defector and charcoal divider. There will be more unique accessories developed for it so stay tuned! 

• By Daz
      Woke up this morning reading my news feed and saw an article titled "7 Best Upgrades for Your Weber Kettle". As a big weber fan I clicked on it and after the tried-and-true lid hinge, the pizza ring then boom! I saw my little gold/black stomp box on there. So stoked...4 years ago we started with a few bare PCB boards and a solder iron, now we're in smoking business!
      If it can control a tin metal grill's temperature rocksteady then you know how precise and stable it would be on a kamado

https://gearpatrol.com/2019/05/28/best-weber-kettle-grill-upgrades/

• By Daz
      My wifed signed me up for BBQ Ribs at my son's baseball endgame party. After working on my own controller like nuts for 3 years she now signs me up for every potluck party we go. So I was on a quest to find out how to use minimum effort to make pro-like ribs. I figured I'll make a video for it since I haven't smoked much of ribs for a while.
      Here is a process I tested today and the ribs turned out to be just as savory and tasty as, well, finely prepped ribs. It'd add a few points with some freshly cut herbs and garlic but these ribs turned out to be just amazing. Here is the process, no overnight seasoning, no wrapping and no mopping. The grill was not touched til the end. 

1. I went straight to Costco and picked up some pre-dry-rubbed St. Louis Cut Ribs. I've used them before and they are great. For only $3.49 /lb and seasoned, this is the best bang for the buck. This way I don't have to buy them ahead of time. The ribs are good to go. The rub was called "Souvloki" rub and it got a little heat in it. 
      2. I curled up the ribs into a standing tube with two skews. This way the ribs are cooked 1~2 hours faster and even on both sides. It took three hours to cook the ribs to 210 internally.
      3. Lit the starter cube, put in the heat deflector, insert the meat probes and grill probe. Put the meat in and close the lid for the first and last time.
      4. Set the temperature controller to 270. I was just experimenting with it, It worked really well. A nice bark was formed yet the inside is savory. It pulls off the bone easily. 
      5. That was it. No wrapping no mopping no nothing. Just cruise around for 3 hours and take it straight out of the grill and eat.
      So next time if you are in a hurry or just being lazy...you know what to do.