I been wanting to do this for a long time but didn’t have a proper equipment or the correct weather conditions. I recently bought an A-MAZE-N smoking tube.

49266406147_5cdb67830f_z.jpg

It was expected to get down to 41 degrees (fairly cool nights for Southern California) and it was only 67 during the day so I decided to give this a try. Around 4:00 PM I started by cooling the kamado down by placing 5 pieces of Blue Ice in it.

49409230998_7738da773f_z.jpg

Around 8:30 it reached 50 degrees outside, so I started up the A-MAZE-N smoking tube in my gasser so as not to heat up the kamado.

49409239348_68fb320144_z.jpg

Once it ignited, I let it burn for a few minutes

49409916862_21008d2403_z.jpg

before blowing out the flame.

49409708511_895453551b_z.jpg

I let it smoke while I went in and prepared the cheese. I had purchased 2 lbs. of Gouda, Colby Jack and Sharp Cheddar at Costco.

49409714146_00b331ce4d_z.jpg

I took them out of their wrappers.

49409237288_306cf635d7_z.jpg

I cut them up into smaller sizes so they could absorb more smoke and placed them on a wire rack.

49409709136_974aa8a00a_z.jpg

I then placed the A-MAZE-N smoking tube in the bottom of my kamado. I next put in both of my ceramic heat deflectors, then the grill grates and then the rack of cheese. (You can see some of the smoke coming up around the deflectors)

49409712671_fed64d88ec_z.jpg

I closed the lid and observed a small amount of smoke coming out the top vent.

49409911582_85eee9edbf_z.jpg

An hour later it looked like this.

49409912012_2e94faf229_z.jpg

After two hours in the smoke I opened the lid. WOW!

49409912647_cdcda417e7_z.jpg

I brought the rack in the house where I could see a subtle change in the cheese color.

49409913347_af1c658363_b.jpg

I vacuum packed them all and placed them in the fridge to age and mellow for 3 weeks.

49409236183_7c06114eb4_b.jpg

This morning I when out to see how much of the pellets were left in the A-MAZE-N smoking tube. It looks like approximately 1/3 was left unburnt. I’m thinking it could’ve gone at least another hour.

49410225622_de11012c2f_z.jpg

I can’t wait to try them but will wait to let time do its thing on them first.

Thanks for looking.

Looks great,  perfect colour.  I do a lot of cheese but have always done it in my electric smoker with mailbox mod and A-MAZE-N pellet tray.  I've been wanting to try it in the Kamado just to say I did. Two hours is lots of smoke, that's how long I do too, and you are right give it at least 3 weeks, more is better.  If it tastes like licking an ash tray, age it out longer and it will mellow.  I just last week opened up a package of Gouda I smoked November 2017, no signs  of mold and was well aged, nice and sharp!  Sliced it up and put on venison burgers it was fantastic.

One thing to make sure you do is leave the cheeses out to let any condensation dry out before sealing up, and you won't have any soggy cheese sweat problems later on.  Leaves a lovely smoke aroma in the house too, better than my wife's smelly candles :)

I found as long as you could stay under 90 degrees there was generally no melt or texture problems with the cheese.  What temp did yours get up to after two hours?  I would imagine you could put your heat deflectors or pizza stones in the fridge for awhile and that would help soak up any stray heat from the tube, but those don't make too much heat anyways.

9 hours ago, KamadoChris said:

Looks great,  perfect colour.  I do a lot of cheese but have always done it in my electric smoker with mailbox mod and A-MAZE-N pellet tray.  I've been wanting to try it in the Kamado just to say I did. Two hours is lots of smoke, that's how long I do too, and you are right give it at least 3 weeks, more is better.  If it tastes like licking an ash tray, age it out longer and it will mellow.  I just last week opened up a package of Gouda I smoked November 2017, no signs  of mold and was well aged, nice and sharp!  Sliced it up and put on venison burgers it was fantastic.

One thing to make sure you do is leave the cheeses out to let any condensation dry out before sealing up, and you won't have any soggy cheese sweat problems later on.  Leaves a lovely smoke aroma in the house too, better than my wife's smelly candles :)

I found as long as you could stay under 90 degrees there was generally no melt or texture problems with the cheese.  What temp did yours get up to after two hours?  I would imagine you could put your heat deflectors or pizza stones in the fridge for awhile and that would help soak up any stray heat from the tube, but those don't make too much heat anyways.

Thank you Chris. The kamado seemed to work out just fine. The outside temperature was 43 degrees and the temperature in the kamado was approximately 75 degrees. Putting the blue ice in the kamado to cool it down really worked out well.

8 hours ago, Family_cook said:

Your firebox is amazingly clean. Why no soot buildup?

Thank you Family cook. It was fairly clean to start out due to my last cook being a high temp. pizza cook. That burned the soot off. I then cleaned what ever ash was left so nothing else would be able to fly around and stick to the cheese.

That is a great and easy way to cold smoke.  Years ago I saw a setup using two Kamados.  The fire in first one feeding the second one with the cheese in it.  It used flexible dryer vent hose from the chimney on one to the intake on the second one.  Clever but a lot more complicated than your setup.

That is how I do it, however, like the ambient temp to be closer to freezing.  I cut the cheese into 1/2 lb pcs. for the smoke, then cut into 1/4 lb. pcs. for packaging.  I usually do 4 different kinds of cheese with the 4 various 1/4 lb. in each pkg. = 1lb cheese ea. vacuum sealed which are ideal give-away samples sized for crackers & cheese!  2-3 hrs. with the smoke tube depending on how smokey you like it.

On 1/19/2020 at 7:39 PM, DerHusker said:

I been wanting to do this for a long time but didn’t have a proper equipment or the correct weather conditions. I recently bought an A-MAZE-N smoking tube.

49266406147_5cdb67830f_z.jpg

It was expected to get down to 41 degrees (fairly cool nights for Southern California) and it was only 67 during the day so I decided to give this a try. Around 4:00 PM I started by cooling the kamado down by placing 5 pieces of Blue Ice in it.

49409230998_7738da773f_z.jpg

Around 8:30 it reached 50 degrees outside, so I started up the A-MAZE-N smoking tube in my gasser so as not to heat up the kamado.

49409239348_68fb320144_z.jpg

Once it ignited, I let it burn for a few minutes

49409916862_21008d2403_z.jpg

before blowing out the flame.

49409708511_895453551b_z.jpg

I let it smoke while I went in and prepared the cheese. I had purchased 2 lbs. of Gouda, Colby Jack and Sharp Cheddar at Costco.

49409714146_00b331ce4d_z.jpg

I took them out of their wrappers.

49409237288_306cf635d7_z.jpg

I cut them up into smaller sizes so they could absorb more smoke and placed them on a wire rack.

49409709136_974aa8a00a_z.jpg

I then placed the A-MAZE-N smoking tube in the bottom of my kamado. I next put in both of my ceramic heat deflectors, then the grill grates and then the rack of cheese. (You can see some of the smoke coming up around the deflectors)

49409712671_fed64d88ec_z.jpg

I closed the lid and observed a small amount of smoke coming out the top vent.

49409911582_85eee9edbf_z.jpg

An hour later it looked like this.

49409912012_2e94faf229_z.jpg

After two hours in the smoke I opened the lid. WOW!

49409912647_cdcda417e7_z.jpg

I brought the rack in the house where I could see a subtle change in the cheese color.

49409913347_af1c658363_b.jpg

I vacuum packed them all and placed them in the fridge to age and mellow for 3 weeks.

49409236183_7c06114eb4_b.jpg

This morning I when out to see how much of the pellets were left in the A-MAZE-N smoking tube. It looks like approximately 1/3 was left unburnt. I’m thinking it could’ve gone at least another hour.

49410225622_de11012c2f_z.jpg

I can’t wait to try them but will wait to let time do its thing on them first.

Thanks for looking.

This is literary amazing way to cold smoke. I was googling around when I found this thread. Color is looking perfect! Have you got a chance to try it yet or you'll wait it to sit trough? How long do you guys wait for it to sit on?

3 hours ago, donatello said:

This is literary amazing way to cold smoke. I was googling around when I found this thread. Color is looking perfect! Have you got a chance to try it yet or you'll wait it to sit trough? How long do you guys wait for it to sit on?

Thank you donatello. No I haven't tried it yet. It's only been a week so far. I'll try it after 3 weeks and give an update on the results.

On 1/25/2020 at 12:50 PM, Ron5850 said:

Love this idea! Doesn't seem like it could get much easier. Just out of curiosity what type of pellets do you use? Would a fruit type be too mild for cheese?

Thank you Ron. The pellets were from a bag that said they were Maple, Hickory & Cherry. I believe fruit should be fine but since I've never done this before, I don't know for sure.

I've done this a couple times and smoke for 4 hours.  We did a large batch for Christmas presents and I was concerned it was going to be too smokey but it wasn't.  We got rave reviews on the cheese so that makes me feel better.  I think the length of time varies bases on cheese type as well as sharpness.  We used the tilamook from costco for the Christmas presents but the trial run was with Kirkland brand to see how they hold up being put in the freezer...no issues.

That Gouda is going to be amazing...I didn't want it to be my favorite because its a popular thing and was hoping for a new discovery but man, that Gouda is good after being smoked.  Keep us posted.

12 hours ago, UTVol said:

I've done this a couple times and smoke for 4 hours.  We did a large batch for Christmas presents and I was concerned it was going to be too smokey but it wasn't.  We got rave reviews on the cheese so that makes me feel better.  I think the length of time varies bases on cheese type as well as sharpness.  We used the tilamook from costco for the Christmas presents but the trial run was with Kirkland brand to see how they hold up being put in the freezer...no issues.

That Gouda is going to be amazing...I didn't want it to be my favorite because its a popular thing and was hoping for a new discovery but man, that Gouda is good after being smoked.  Keep us posted.

Thank you UTVol. I'm really looking forward to trying this out. I may have to break some out for the Superbowl next weekend. :)