Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I been wanting to do this for a long time but didn’t have a proper equipment or the correct weather conditions. I recently bought an A-MAZE-N smoking tube.

49266406147_5cdb67830f_z.jpg

It was expected to get down to 41 degrees (fairly cool nights for Southern California) and it was only 67 during the day so I decided to give this a try. Around 4:00 PM I started by cooling the kamado down by placing 5 pieces of Blue Ice in it.

49409230998_7738da773f_z.jpg

Around 8:30 it reached 50 degrees outside, so I started up the A-MAZE-N smoking tube in my gasser so as not to heat up the kamado.

49409239348_68fb320144_z.jpg

Once it ignited, I let it burn for a few minutes

49409916862_21008d2403_z.jpg

before blowing out the flame.

49409708511_895453551b_z.jpg

I let it smoke while I went in and prepared the cheese. I had purchased 2 lbs. of Gouda, Colby Jack and Sharp Cheddar at Costco.

49409714146_00b331ce4d_z.jpg

I took them out of their wrappers.

49409237288_306cf635d7_z.jpg

I cut them up into smaller sizes so they could absorb more smoke and placed them on a wire rack.

49409709136_974aa8a00a_z.jpg

I then placed the A-MAZE-N smoking tube in the bottom of my kamado. I next put in both of my ceramic heat deflectors, then the grill grates and then the rack of cheese. (You can see some of the smoke coming up around the deflectors)

49409712671_fed64d88ec_z.jpg

I closed the lid and observed a small amount of smoke coming out the top vent.

49409911582_85eee9edbf_z.jpg

An hour later it looked like this.

49409912012_2e94faf229_z.jpg

After two hours in the smoke I opened the lid. WOW!

49409912647_cdcda417e7_z.jpg

I brought the rack in the house where I could see a subtle change in the cheese color.

49409913347_af1c658363_b.jpg

I vacuum packed them all and placed them in the fridge to age and mellow for 3 weeks.

49409236183_7c06114eb4_b.jpg

This morning I when out to see how much of the pellets were left in the A-MAZE-N smoking tube. It looks like approximately 1/3 was left unburnt. I’m thinking it could’ve gone at least another hour.

49410225622_de11012c2f_z.jpg

I can’t wait to try them but will wait to let time do its thing on them first.

 

Thanks for looking.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks great,  perfect colour.  I do a lot of cheese but have always done it in my electric smoker with mailbox mod and A-MAZE-N pellet tray.  I've been wanting to try it in the Kamado just to say I did. Two hours is lots of smoke, that's how long I do too, and you are right give it at least 3 weeks, more is better.  If it tastes like licking an ash tray, age it out longer and it will mellow.  I just last week opened up a package of Gouda I smoked November 2017, no signs  of mold and was well aged, nice and sharp!  Sliced it up and put on venison burgers it was fantastic.

 

One thing to make sure you do is leave the cheeses out to let any condensation dry out before sealing up, and you won't have any soggy cheese sweat problems later on.  Leaves a lovely smoke aroma in the house too, better than my wife's smelly candles :)

 

I found as long as you could stay under 90 degrees there was generally no melt or texture problems with the cheese.  What temp did yours get up to after two hours?  I would imagine you could put your heat deflectors or pizza stones in the fridge for awhile and that would help soak up any stray heat from the tube, but those don't make too much heat anyways.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, KamadoChris said:

Looks great,  perfect colour.  I do a lot of cheese but have always done it in my electric smoker with mailbox mod and A-MAZE-N pellet tray.  I've been wanting to try it in the Kamado just to say I did. Two hours is lots of smoke, that's how long I do too, and you are right give it at least 3 weeks, more is better.  If it tastes like licking an ash tray, age it out longer and it will mellow.  I just last week opened up a package of Gouda I smoked November 2017, no signs  of mold and was well aged, nice and sharp!  Sliced it up and put on venison burgers it was fantastic.

 

One thing to make sure you do is leave the cheeses out to let any condensation dry out before sealing up, and you won't have any soggy cheese sweat problems later on.  Leaves a lovely smoke aroma in the house too, better than my wife's smelly candles :)

 

I found as long as you could stay under 90 degrees there was generally no melt or texture problems with the cheese.  What temp did yours get up to after two hours?  I would imagine you could put your heat deflectors or pizza stones in the fridge for awhile and that would help soak up any stray heat from the tube, but those don't make too much heat anyways.

Thank you Chris. The kamado seemed to work out just fine. The outside temperature was 43 degrees and the temperature in the kamado was approximately 75 degrees. Putting the blue ice in the kamado to cool it down really worked out well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Family_cook said:

Your firebox is amazingly clean. Why no soot buildup?

Thank you Family cook. It was fairly clean to start out due to my last cook being a high temp. pizza cook. That burned the soot off. I then cleaned what ever ash was left so nothing else would be able to fly around and stick to the cheese.

Link to post
Share on other sites

That is a great and easy way to cold smoke.  Years ago I saw a setup using two Kamados.  The fire in first one feeding the second one with the cheese in it.  It used flexible dryer vent hose from the chimney on one to the intake on the second one.  Clever but a lot more complicated than your setup.

Link to post
Share on other sites

That is how I do it, however, like the ambient temp to be closer to freezing.  I cut the cheese into 1/2 lb pcs. for the smoke, then cut into 1/4 lb. pcs. for packaging.  I usually do 4 different kinds of cheese with the 4 various 1/4 lb. in each pkg. = 1lb cheese ea. vacuum sealed which are ideal give-away samples sized for crackers & cheese!  2-3 hrs. with the smoke tube depending on how smokey you like it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2020 at 7:39 PM, DerHusker said:

I been wanting to do this for a long time but didn’t have a proper equipment or the correct weather conditions. I recently bought an A-MAZE-N smoking tube.

49266406147_5cdb67830f_z.jpg

It was expected to get down to 41 degrees (fairly cool nights for Southern California) and it was only 67 during the day so I decided to give this a try. Around 4:00 PM I started by cooling the kamado down by placing 5 pieces of Blue Ice in it.

49409230998_7738da773f_z.jpg

Around 8:30 it reached 50 degrees outside, so I started up the A-MAZE-N smoking tube in my gasser so as not to heat up the kamado.

49409239348_68fb320144_z.jpg

Once it ignited, I let it burn for a few minutes

49409916862_21008d2403_z.jpg

before blowing out the flame.

49409708511_895453551b_z.jpg

I let it smoke while I went in and prepared the cheese. I had purchased 2 lbs. of Gouda, Colby Jack and Sharp Cheddar at Costco.

49409714146_00b331ce4d_z.jpg

I took them out of their wrappers.

49409237288_306cf635d7_z.jpg

I cut them up into smaller sizes so they could absorb more smoke and placed them on a wire rack.

49409709136_974aa8a00a_z.jpg

I then placed the A-MAZE-N smoking tube in the bottom of my kamado. I next put in both of my ceramic heat deflectors, then the grill grates and then the rack of cheese. (You can see some of the smoke coming up around the deflectors)

49409712671_fed64d88ec_z.jpg

I closed the lid and observed a small amount of smoke coming out the top vent.

49409911582_85eee9edbf_z.jpg

An hour later it looked like this.

49409912012_2e94faf229_z.jpg

After two hours in the smoke I opened the lid. WOW!

49409912647_cdcda417e7_z.jpg

I brought the rack in the house where I could see a subtle change in the cheese color.

49409913347_af1c658363_b.jpg

I vacuum packed them all and placed them in the fridge to age and mellow for 3 weeks.

49409236183_7c06114eb4_b.jpg

This morning I when out to see how much of the pellets were left in the A-MAZE-N smoking tube. It looks like approximately 1/3 was left unburnt. I’m thinking it could’ve gone at least another hour.

49410225622_de11012c2f_z.jpg

I can’t wait to try them but will wait to let time do its thing on them first.

 

Thanks for looking.

 

This is literary amazing way to cold smoke. I was googling around when I found this thread. Color is looking perfect! Have you got a chance to try it yet or you'll wait it to sit trough? How long do you guys wait for it to sit on?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, donatello said:

 

This is literary amazing way to cold smoke. I was googling around when I found this thread. Color is looking perfect! Have you got a chance to try it yet or you'll wait it to sit trough? How long do you guys wait for it to sit on?

Thank you donatello. No I haven't tried it yet. It's only been a week so far. I'll try it after 3 weeks and give an update on the results.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2020 at 12:50 PM, Ron5850 said:

Love this idea! Doesn't seem like it could get much easier. Just out of curiosity what type of pellets do you use? Would a fruit type be too mild for cheese?

Thank you Ron. The pellets were from a bag that said they were Maple, Hickory & Cherry. I believe fruit should be fine but since I've never done this before, I don't know for sure.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've done this a couple times and smoke for 4 hours.  We did a large batch for Christmas presents and I was concerned it was going to be too smokey but it wasn't.  We got rave reviews on the cheese so that makes me feel better.  I think the length of time varies bases on cheese type as well as sharpness.  We used the tilamook from costco for the Christmas presents but the trial run was with Kirkland brand to see how they hold up being put in the freezer...no issues.

 

That Gouda is going to be amazing...I didn't want it to be my favorite because its a popular thing and was hoping for a new discovery but man, that Gouda is good after being smoked.  Keep us posted.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, UTVol said:

I've done this a couple times and smoke for 4 hours.  We did a large batch for Christmas presents and I was concerned it was going to be too smokey but it wasn't.  We got rave reviews on the cheese so that makes me feel better.  I think the length of time varies bases on cheese type as well as sharpness.  We used the tilamook from costco for the Christmas presents but the trial run was with Kirkland brand to see how they hold up being put in the freezer...no issues.

 

That Gouda is going to be amazing...I didn't want it to be my favorite because its a popular thing and was hoping for a new discovery but man, that Gouda is good after being smoked.  Keep us posted.

Thank you UTVol. I'm really looking forward to trying this out. I may have to break some out for the Superbowl next weekend. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Similar Content

    • By DerHusker
      Wanted to try out one of my new knives so decided what better way that to make some Pico de Gallo. Sorry I didn’t get any pics as I was filming a video instead. (Video link below)
       
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpc7ojxlHUA&t=19s
       
      Thanks for watching.
       
      The recipe is in the video but not listed in writing. I shared it on this site before so if you don’t want to listen to the entire video you can hit this link instead.
       
       
    • By DerHusker
      If I had stopped at the cheap Mercer knife, I had purchased from Amazon I’d have been fine. (See previous thread) Unfortunately, there was a sale over Labor Day at Cutlery and More, so my wife is now mad at me because I purchased 3 more new knives.
       
      She suggested I have a problem  and to this I must agree.  I didn’t “need” any of these knives, but one was such a good price and the other two are, as Old Man Parker said on Christmas Story, “Indescribably Beautiful!”.  Below is a short video of the objects of my wife’s wrath.
      This first knife is a 9” Dragon Storm Chef’s knife by Apogee Cutlery. It’s made of BD1N steel with a HRC of 63. It was on Clearance with an additional 20% off for Labor Day.
       
      This next knife is an Enso SG2 7” Bunka knife. It’s made of 101 layers of stainless with a SG2 steel core with an HRC of 63. It was on sale with special price and 20% off for Labor Day.
       
      This last knife is an Miyabi Artisan 9.5” Kiritsuke knife. It’s made of 2 layers of hammered stainless with a SG2 steel core with an HRC of 63. It was offered at special introductory price for Labor Day.
       
      Here’s the video:
       
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3fkX9xlPvk
       
      I’m going to have to cook some good food using these knives to get out of the Doghouse. 
       
      Thanks for looking.
    • By DerHusker
      The last time we rented an Airbnb I vowed to buy a knife roll and bring some of my knives with me so I could have the use of sharp knives instead on the dull knives they always seem to have. (It’s not that they need to be expensive, but if they were at least sharp I wouldn’t complain)
       
      Well we just got back from spending a week in Reno at an Airbnb and you can guess how the knives were. So, I’ve made good on my vow and got myself a cheap knife roll. I also purchased this Mercer Millenia 8” chef knife to go in it.
       
      As I said they don’t need to supply expensive knives and this new Mercer knife is proof of this. (It cost me whooping $18.00) So here is a video of the new knife and roll and the different knives I’ll be taking with me when we go on our next trip like this. (An assortment of mostly Mercer and Victorinox knives)
       
      Video:
       
      Thanks for looking.
    • By DerHusker
      I picked up 2 lb. of 98% fat free ground turkey breast the other day.  I made some more of the 4 bean Turkey Chili I made a month ago with it but this time it was virtually free of points. (Only 1 WW Purple point)
       
      I diced up all the onions and peppers, mixed up the spices. Here are most of the ingredients.

       

       
      1 ½ Tablespoons Olive Oil
      2 lb. Pounds 98/7 Lean Ground Turkey
      ½ Yellow Onion (Diced)
      ½ Red Onion (Diced)
      I Poblano Pepper (Diced)
      1 Red Bell Pepper (Diced)
      1 ½ Teaspoons Minced Garlic
      1 6 Oz. Can Diced Green Chiles
      1 15 Oz. Can Corn
      1 15 Oz. Can Crushed Tomatoes
      1 15 Oz. Can Tomato Sauce
      1 15 Oz. Can Chili Beans
      1 15 Oz. Can Black Beans
      1 15 Oz. Can Dark Red Kidney Beans
      1 15 Oz. Cannellini Beans
      1 15 Oz. Can Chicken Broth
      2 Tbsp. Chili Power
      1 Tsp. Cumin
      ½ Tsp. Crushed Red Pepper
      ½ Tsp. Chipotle Pepper Power
      ½ Tsp. Black Pepper
      ½ Tsp. White Pepper
      ½ Tsp. Salt
      ¼ Tsp. Cinnamon
       
      While I was prepping everything our new dog Lady came in to visit.

      I got out my enameled Dutch oven and placed the OO. I put it on the side burner of my Gasser.

      I put the Turkey in once it was heated up.

      I cooked it until just slightly brown.

      Next, I added the Poblano pepper, onions, Bell pepper and garlic. I covered this and cook it for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.

      Once the veggies had softened,

      I added in the spices and rest of the ingredients.

       

       

       

      and mixed everything together.

      I brought this to a boil and then covered. I turned the burner to low and let the chili simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

      Here it is after cooking.

      Here it is in a bowl, garnished with onion, cilantro, some lime and some Non-Fat Greek yogurt.

      This was delicious and only 1 point per serving. (A serving = 1 cup. This was a large bowl, so it was a double serving so 2 points) Eating like this makes me forget I'm losing weight.
       
      Thanks for looking.
    • By CheeseMcGee
      With the Covid craziness happening, I figured it was time to get back to my KJ that has been getting some neglect.  I've been slowly working it back to life, but then with the chance to compete in the COVID-19 challenge, it was time to really knock the rust off.
       
      Today's cook (actually it was on Memorial day) is Fire Roasted Tomato Pie with Cold Smoked Southern Fried Chicken.
       
      I started by pulling out a really cool box that my wife found at the 127 sale in Kentucky a year or two ago.  It is an old 1901 style steamer box that apparently made food "more nourishing" and also helped with your digestion and removed indigestion to physicians! - Ohio Steam Cooker Ad
       
      The cool part is because of the hole in the back, and the hole in the top, this works as an absolutely perfect cold smoker!  Really wishing I had busted this thing out sooner.  I lit up some hickory pellets, stuck them in the bottom near the inlet, placed the rack on top with some foil to catch any drips, and I cold smoked some cheddar for my Tomato Pie for about an hour, and my chicken for a little over 2 hours.
       

       

       

       
      Next, it was time to roast up the tomatoes.  I got the KJ nice and hot and after moving them around for a bit, they were perfectly roasted.
       

       

       
      After pulling them off, I gave the pie crust a good 10 minute bake to firm up the crust.  Nothing worse than a soggy crust on your tomato pie.
       

       
      After the chicken was nicely smoked, it was time for them to take a bath in some buttermilk and spices and rest in the fridge for a few hours.
       

       
      Once it was time to bake the pie, we took the smoked cheese and shredded it up.  To that we added some mayo, garlic powder, corn starch, salt and pepper, and a bunch of freshly chopped basil.  I forgot to take pictures of the layering process, but we started with tomatoes, then a layer of the cheese mix, a few leaves of fresh basil and repeat until everything is in the pie.  The biggest key to this whole process is to leach out as much liquid as possible from the tomatoes.  A nice sprinkle of salt and a lot of paper towels really helps reduce the moisture.
       

       
      After throwing it in a 400 degree smoker for about a half an hour, we had a perfect looking pie!
       

       

       
      You can't eat a tomato pie hot out of the oven, so it had to go rest to get back to room temperature.  In the meantime, we started the dredge and fry process of the chicken.  It went straight from the buttermilk marinade straight into a large pile of flour mixed with paprika, salt, pepper, garlic powder and franks red hot powder.  Here's a hot tip for you the next time you want proper fried chicken.  Dip the fingers of your "wet hand" into the buttermilk and then drizzle some of the liquid into the flour.  Then, add your piece of chicken and press the flour over every surface.  By sprinkling the marinade into the flour, it creates those awesome little crispy bits you get on a nicely fried piece of chicken.
       

       
      I didn't figure you needed to see pictures of how to fry chicken, I'm sure ya'll know how to do that.  While that was frying, and I still had some heat on the smoker, I threw on some fresh shucked corn just to complete the southern meal.  Covering with a thyme and garlic butter will make this the best corn on the cob you can get!
       

       
      Put all of this together on a plate, and you've got a Slap Yo' Momma type of meal!  The subtle smoke flavor of the cheddar cheese and roasted tomatoes added an awesome improvement to such an amazing and simple item.  I can also tell you, if you've never had cold smoked and then fried chicken, you are really missing out.  Once we got through that super crunchy batter and got into that juicy chicken, there was an awesome light smoke flavor that you really need to experience.  Sorry for the terrible money shot photo.  As soon as we started trying to plate it, storm clouds rolled in fast and wrecked any kind of natural light so we were fighting shadows and crappy yellow lighting.  We were also kind of starving, so spending a lot of time to get the perfect photo just wasn't meant to happen.
       

       
      Typically people would think that the pie could be a side with Fried Chicken, but to me, this pie was so good that in my opinion, the chicken was a side dish to the pie.  I really encourage you all to give this a shot this summer.
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
×
×
  • Create New...