MasterClass

pr0wlunwoof

AF did a PBS series a few years back and it’s probably as good as the master class. He’s also got a bit of YouTube content out there as well that would likely give you all you’d need to know about how to do Aaron Franklin style Texas BBQ. As much as I like the idea of the masterclass series, they look like nothing more than a cash grab to me. I’d rather spend my money on better quality cookware, knives, and high quality cuts of meat. 

On 1/23/2020 at 7:54 AM, John Setzler said:

I think you are wrong on that point.  Applying heat to the meat is only one aspect of the process.  You apply the heat with whatever tools you have at your disposal.  The smoker you have is not a game changer in this process.

I hear you John but my point was that he spends considerable time in some lessons that show how to build a fire in an offset and manage it.  I don't own an offset, never have.  If I was starting from scratch and got an offset it would be helpful.  That being said, I'm sure there are a million videos on how to build a fire, smoke, etc. on an offset on youtube.  Not sure how his masterclass approach compares to how other build fires in an offset but it was educational.  He delves into which log to pick at what point in the process, how to arrange it, etc...pretty cool.

From what I've seen on his actual approach to the meat cooking, etc. I agree with you...its kind of all the same.

2 minutes ago, UTVol said:

I hear you John but my point was that he spends considerable time in some lessons that show how to build a fire in an offset and manage it.  I don't own an offset, never have.  If I was starting from scratch and got an offset it would be helpful. 

That's one of the reasons *I* don't care much for his lessons.  He does focus on the tools he uses as much as he does the meat he is cooking.  If you are already cooking on a good quality offset setup then Aaron is the guy to follow.  I can't imagine wanting to change to an offset just to learn Aaron's methods.  Most of the people around HERE are cooking on Kamado grills because they don't want the added work load of tending a fire once or twice an hour.  That being the case, the smoker in use is sort of irrelevant.  If Aaron is cooking at 250, then the student should just cook at 250 on whatever smoker they are using.  I DO understand that the flavor profile from the Kamado ain't the same as a stick burner.  But like I said before, If you wanna gain THAT lesson from Franklin, then yes.. you need a stick burner.  I still don't think you NEED a stick burner to learn how to cook a brisket well.  You can apply everything ELSE that Aaron is teaching and learn how to cook a great brisket.

21 hours ago, John Setzler said:

That's one of the reasons *I* don't care much for his lessons.  He does focus on the tools he uses as much as he does the meat he is cooking.  If you are already cooking on a good quality offset setup then Aaron is the guy to follow.  I can't imagine wanting to change to an offset just to learn Aaron's methods.  Most of the people around HERE are cooking on Kamado grills because they don't want the added work load of tending a fire once or twice an hour.  That being the case, the smoker in use is sort of irrelevant.  If Aaron is cooking at 250, then the student should just cook at 250 on whatever smoker they are using.  I DO understand that the flavor profile from the Kamado ain't the same as a stick burner.  But like I said before, If you wanna gain THAT lesson from Franklin, then yes.. you need a stick burner.  I still don't think you NEED a stick burner to learn how to cook a brisket well.  You can apply everything ELSE that Aaron is teaching and learn how to cook a great brisket.

+1...after I watched it I was like WOW...that cool.  I'll stick with my Kamado.  Its a lot of work and requires a lot of attention.  Its fascinating nonetheless.

On 1/24/2020 at 1:54 AM, Mr Cue said:

AF did a PBS series a few years back and it’s probably as good as the master class. He’s also got a bit of YouTube content out there as well that would likely give you all you’d need to know about how to do Aaron Franklin style Texas BBQ. 

I have bookmarked all the AF PBS series and whenever I need a thrill I rewatch them.  I especially loved the one where he drags a propane tank out of the bushes and makes it into an offset...  His attitude and technique makes these videos better than most.