Ranukic

Rolling classic II in/out of garage

Greetings,

Hopefully I am posting this to the correct forum. 

I am currently considering purchasing a new Classic II Kamado Joe for my home but unfortunately I do not have a good location to leave it outdoors and I have a concern with rolling it in and out of my garage. Where the driveway meets the garage slab I have about a 2” threshold drop from the driveway settling over the years. By myself will it be safe to move the Joe in and out of my garage every use? It appears that the roller system is a nest and does not fasten securely to the Joe so I am concerned about where to grip the assembly in order to lift/lower as it goes over the threshold. 

An option is for me to make a small wooden ramp in order to make the drop more gradual but I still have concerns for gripping the unit in order to direct it. Should I pull the unit or can it be pushed easily? Any concerns that it will topple over or is it very sturdy?

Sincerely,

Ran

I have a Classic I and, while the nest is sturdy, I don't like moving it around on my wooden deck too much. The decking has some typical and minor height variation between adjacent boards. From dead even to maybe 1/2". I move the Kamado around sometimes to clean up leaves or other occasional debris or cooking items that may fall behind it. It is quite top-heavy, and I only move it around by about 10 feet. I'm not a fan of doing so, due to the top-heaviness.

At a 2" step up or down between the garage and driveway, I would be very concerned about toppling over. While there is a gap between the nest frame and the Kamado, it's really not that large, so if you have meaty paws, you could find yourself either losing your grip or going head-over-heels if the Kamado gets away from you.

I would pull, rather than push, due to likely better control over the possibility of tipping over. And, I would pull from somewhere lower on the Kamado rather than higher. Again, to avoid tipping.

One solution might be larger wheels. What about building up a slope using concrete to avoid rotting wood?

Welcome, glad to have you with us. The KJ Classic II is truly a fine Kamado and a good choice. Personally, I think your concern about the stability and safe transport of such a fine kamado in a nest on wheels is a valid point. When I purchased my Large Egg, I bought it as a stand alone and with an additional purchase of a very stable rolling metal cart with heavy duty castor wheels. See the attached pics below.  I cook on a deck so I don't really need to go up or down inclines or steps, but I do move my kamado around a lot to take advantage of natural wind breaks, depending on the wind direction and weather. I had a Vision that was in a nest and never really thought the nest provided  me with enough stability. That experience was the basis for purchasing a very stable rolling cart when I upgraded to my Egg. With the cart, I never have to worry about a tip and crash as the cart is solid as a rock. Also, please  stop by the intro thread to introduce yourself to all our members. Enjoy your new grill and the forum conversation as well. 

IMG_0521.thumb.jpeg.5fb64b44854328bf41b380669a83c395.jpeg

IMG_0739.thumb.jpeg.10e53c641a0cd8b47395b5d13365768d.jpeg

Hey Ranukic, that 2 inch drop could end in an expensive disaster.  I have just got a series 2 divide and conquer about 2 months ago.  I sometimes wheel it around too. 

The thing that Erks me about the nest design is the crappy grub screw set up holding it all together.   If only they drilled small holes into the top part of the nest that slides the bottom part and then the screws would go into the predrilled holes.  No more grub screws, actual working screws that actually work and hold it all together.   

Whenever I wheel mine around 2 of the 4 upper nest legs that are supposed be inside the lower nest shafts pull out because the grub screws don't work.  This scares me a lot.  I have had visions of me having to throw myself under a falling humpty dumpy.  These are not cheap and I would not be happy if it broke.

I have even inspected all of the display models in-store and they too don't have all of the upper nest shafts going into the lower shafts.  I call it floating shaft syndrome. 

One day I might disassemble the whole thing just to do the drill hole mod.  But we shouldn't have to should we.

So beware moving kamado at all times it's only really getting half the stability it needs.  You will see what I'm talking about when you first notice the floating shaft syndrome.  Then you try and put them back and they don't want to go back in.

if you feel you need to roll a kamado around often I would suggest looking at a BK Keg, not a 1200 dollar 300 lb top heavy ceramic on tiny casters. just my .02 .  I prefer my KJ to my keg for everyday use, but the keg is light, steel and has monster truck tires.

Everyone has their own opinion of course but, I do this all the time... All The Time...

If the KJ is properly seated in the nest, I would have zero concerns. My dropoff is defintely not as deep– only about an inch but, I come around to the side of the drop while gently pulling the KJ Big Joe II toward me and ease the wheels down without incident every time, all the time. With the first two wheels down, I go around the back and then push forward gently easing those down as well. Moreso than lifting, I am helping the wheels to maintain contact with the drop off and slide down gently.

I sold my other Big Joe to the Church where there is another inch plus drop off from a shed to a wooden ramp. Again, zero concerns about going down. However, with the ramp, it is more of a challenge to lift the front wheels while pulling in order to get it back into the shed. I often ask for help in that case because the ramp has the KJ's weight moving away from me.

I normally do two wheles at a time but, if concerned, you can also do one wheel at a time. I've done that a time or two, particularly at my Church. That said, when lifting, just ensure that you are pulling and lifting on the very bottom section of the nest so that it will not separate.

Edited by CentralTexBBQ

14 hours ago, prowe said:

if you feel you need to roll a kamado around often I would suggest looking at a BK Keg, not a 1200 dollar 300 lb top heavy ceramic on tiny casters. just my .02 .  I prefer my KJ to my keg for everyday use, but the keg is light, steel and has monster truck tires.

Akorn is another option

I used to run my charcoal grills in and out of the garage but became leary when i got my Joe.. It looks like it might be top heavy and wasn't sure about the wheel size. Since i got the grill we added a wood deck to the house and now i just move it from under the 3 ft overhang to the edge of the deck to us. I'm still some what leary about pulling on the handle ao shelves don't know what kind of stress it puts on the bands and grill.

Posted (edited)

@Ranukic, just In case you haven’t pulled the trigger yet, I pulled it out yesterday for movie night at the Church. Here is my drop off. 

E8CB4CE5-5C00-496D-A384-4518FA685A30.thumb.jpeg.f528f7c86f7573dfc1edaaecfb893b60.jpeg

42BBA254-E3E8-46A0-B957-99BDFFA02DE0.thumb.jpeg.ac0ec3b6e38fba180de7538455fc0788.jpeg

This drop off is a little deeper than the one I have at home. Of course, at home it’s concrete here it drops after this ramp.

936EB615-8DE6-40D7-A651-706D60B5FEB4.thumb.jpeg.f765c0d752b8674e800298636fc2e0f3.jpeg

Do it all the time with zero issues. The ceramic never gets any kind of significant jolt or bump. More difficult getting it back up since I’m older and fighting that ramp. Another pair of hands then helps immensely

Edited by CentralTexBBQ

Mine's also stored in the garage an there's a bit of a step transitioning to the asphalt. The thing you have to remember is that these things are heavy. To tip it over, you have to lift it. Roll slowly and avoid ramps and there's little risk. 

Have fun,

Frank