Wildwr

XYLO Lump charcoal

I contacted Costco to see if they would be carrying Dragon Breath charcoal this year and the answer was no.

They have indicated they would be carrying XYLO Lump 

has anyone used this charcoal?  just wondering how it compares to Dragon Breath and the high heat it puts out.

I think it was the year before last that I got a couple of bags of Dragon's Breath at Costco. I have never had such bad charcoal, it was very slow to get a fire going and no matter how much air flow it had it would not go above 400F. Mt buddy had the same experience.

I was never so glad to see the end of something as I was with that.

Have not heard or seen either at Austin Tx costco but I bought some terrible Cowboy brand a few years ago from them and still have one large bag sitting in the garage just in case of the end times hitting early.

I did find Dragon Breath was a little slow on the start but produced a very hot flame and had a good variety of sizes within the bag.  

I usually used three 1in squares of  "Rutland Safe Lite Fire Starters Squares"

I purchased this Battery Operated mini fan Blower which helped with the slow starts. I also the blower with my fireplace.

I'm using Xylo now, I stocked up in the fall before they stopped carrying charcoal for the season.  I've never tried Dragon's Breath, but at 13$ a bag I think it works just fine, I don't find much difference between it and the Nature's Own they also carry at times.  Comparable to Royal Oak with less sparks.  I've used it many times for pizza 650-700* no problems.  I start with a propane torch, not had any issues, last night I cooked mojo chicken and I started charcoal that has been sitting in rain and snow for the past 1.5 months in the firebowl and it started right up and was at a stable 350 in about 20 minutes.

Nature's Own from Costco has been my favorite lump. I did notice, however, this year the pieces were much smaller than in the past. They seemed to burn OK though.

I hope that they go back to the bigger pieces.

On 1/26/2020 at 8:38 PM, Wildwr said:

I contacted Costco to see if they would be carrying Dragon Breath charcoal this year and the answer was no.

Wildwr, how did you go about getting that information from Costco?

Do you have a Walmart?  I use Walmart Western Premium @ $10 for a 30 lb bag.  Burns great.  On my 5th bag since the summer with no issues.  It does spark when lighting, but I don't find that an issue. I have used Royal Oak recently and don't see a big difference.  You might be able to get them to bring it in to your local store.  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Western-Premium-BBQ-30LB-Hardwood-Lump-Charcoal/375025590

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 7:07 AM, Rick in Ontario said:

Wildwr, how did you go about getting that information from Costco?

I went online to Costco Customer Service (CCS) and emailed my inquiry.

The next day CCS responded asking what store location(s) I currently shop at and they indicated they were sending my inquiry off to the appropriate buying team.

Two days later the Costco buyer responded indicating they were not carrying Dragon's Breath and updated me on what they will be carrying this season.  

Now keeping this in mind, 

CCS asked for my shopping preference location, so one could assume;  Dragon's breath could be carried at other locations as Dragon's breath was carried at Kingston location and not in Ajax 2 years ago.

1 hour ago, Wildwr said:

Now keeping this in mind, 

CCS asked for my shopping preference location, so one could assume;  Dragon's breath could be carried at other locations as Dragon's breath was carried at Kingston location and not in Ajax 2 years ago.

Just for instance, Costco Ancaster carried Nature's Own last year, and Costco Stoney Creek carried Xylo.  They are only 20 mins away from each other, so it could vary widely. 

On 1/27/2020 at 6:19 AM, Rick in Ontario said:

I think it was the year before last that I got a couple of bags of Dragon's Breath at Costco. I have never had such bad charcoal, it was very slow to get a fire going and no matter how much air flow it had it would not go above 400F. Mt buddy had the same experience.

I was never so glad to see the end of something as I was with that.

That’s not what the Whiz had to say about it:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag78.htm

He got his up to 980 degrees 

2 hours ago, Z mann R2 said:

That’s not what the Whiz had to say about it:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag78.htm

He got his up to 980 degrees 

@Z mann R2 You missed the part about it now being from Mexico, and not tested.

The Dragon's Breath that Rick would have purchased would have been the new Mexico stuff. I'm in Ontario too, and saw it at Costco 2 years ago, and avoided it.

@Wildwr The XYLO stuff, to me, is identical to the Nature's Own that Costco Canada carried in previous years, if you have tried it. Easy to light, burns hot. I too have a Pit Boss, and have no problem maxing the temp dial.