Z mann R2

The most challenging yet rewarding meat to queue

Everyone chime in on what you think it is......for me it’s beef ribs.  Specifically beef Dino ribs.  IMO there’s not a cut of meat on the face of the planet that is better when done properly.....however it is a PAIN to get it just perfect! But man when you do......HEAVEN!!!  I attached a vid of the last time I made em:

Those ribs look delicious. My Achilles heel is baby back ribs. I've only had them come out right one time. I'm going to try again Sunday.

Edited by Golf Griller

On 1/29/2020 at 11:27 AM, Z mann R2 said:

Everyone chime in on what you think it is......for me it’s beef ribs.  Specifically beef Dino ribs.  IMO there’s not a cut of meat on the face of the planet that is better when done properly.....however it is a PAIN to get it just perfect! But man when you do......HEAVEN!!!  I attached a vid of the last time I made em:

IMG_0051.mov

Beef ribs are my favorite but I think they are much easier to cook that most other bbq meats... they are very forgiving just like a boston butt.

2 hours ago, John Setzler said:

Beef ribs are my favorite but I think they are much easier to cook that most other bbq meats... they are very forgiving just like a boston butt.

So what’s your most difficult/rewarding then?

15 minutes ago, Z mann R2 said:

So what’s your most difficult/rewarding then?

That's a tough one.  I have spent so much time learning how to cook all this stuff.  I think Brisket might be the most difficult of the bunch to consistently do well.  But brisket is not near the top of my list for favorites.  As someone else mentioned here,  Prime rib is hard to beat but it's also super simple to cook.   

I think if I had to combine difficult with rewarding, then my beef wellington might be the winner....

A couple different meats come to mind as both difficult to get perfect, but very rewarding when I do something right.  Most of these turn out good almost every time, even if things don't go exactly as planned.

-Whole Chicken

Chicken never turns out bad, but there's plenty of times that it doesn't turn out great.  The skin doesn't crisp up or half the bird dries out before the other half is done.  I've tried beer can chicken, spatchcocking, quartering, etc.  A new method that I just tried that made a good juicy flavorful bird is putting a whole bird in a 12 inch cast iron skillet on my KJ.  It was a Costco bird around 4 lbs.  Maybe I just got a good bird that time.  Maybe the skillet doesn't let it dry out.  It was damn good.  Just bird+olive oil, salt, pepper, herbes de provence, and some lemon zest+juice.  No trimming, no stock/liquid, no brining, no butter.  Rub it down and let it go.  No smoke other than what lump provided by itself.  Probably the best chicken I have ever made on the grill- period.  It was essentially a whole chicken Provencal. But the skin still didn't crisp up everywhere... even at 325-375 the whole time. The meat still picked up a lot of flavor even through the skin.  We saved the dripping and made a pan gravy for the taters.

-Chicken Wings/ any bone-in, skin-on butchered bird

I struggled with crispy skin until I tried a no-name BBQ Vortex clone off Amazon for $20 or something.  They never turned out bad before.  I just knew that they could be better.  I was never wowed until the vortex.  Kettle+steel cone+full chimney of lit briquettes+smoke wood+cooking spray on the skin=perfect chicken wings every time.

-Pork Ribs

I giggled a little when I read this.  Then I thought back a couple years and realized that they were probably the most temperamental thing I cook somewhat regularly.  They usually turn out good, but I can recall several times that they were less than stellar.  I recall a couple times they tasted dry.  Like fork-tender but still just dry.  Or they didn't pick up much smoke.  I blamed the meat quality those times.  Those were the racks that came from the local grocery store cooler instead of the local market meat counter.  Big difference.

I know I've pulled them off too soon a few times because everyone was grumbling about dinner not being ready yet.  They were cooked and flavorful, but not completely fork-tender.  Those were the days that I should have started 2 hours earlier.

-Frozen Hamburger

Brutally unforgiving, rarely rewarding.

Most rewarding-

Smoked meatloaf- low effort, high reward

Sous vide steaks- almost zero effort for high-end restaurant flavor done perfectly.  I get them right more often than my restaurants do.  If I'm going to spend $30 a plate, might as well have a couple cuts of filet at home for half the cost.

Smoked fresh hamburgers- I don't care that they aren't pink in the middle.  Maximum flavor.

Pork tenderloin- Ready in 20-30 minutes and tastes great.

Difficulty in terms of skill during the cook: brisket.

Prep difficulty: Argentinian matambre.

Both super rewarding if done right.

For me, pork ribs

Couple of reasons for that though

#1, finding decent baby back pork ribs where i live is super difficult as most butchers prioritise the Pork Belly over the ribs

#2, If i do find decent ribs, theyre expensive due to the above reason and i find it hard paying close to $40 per rack for a lot of bone weight

#3, I havent seemed to nail that bite through texture yet (3-2-1 or similar doesnt work on Aus ribs, theyre too small) so theres a lot of trial and error figuring out cook temps and times. Most of my cooks end up as "fall off the bone ribs"

#4, I'm yet to get a decent glaze on my ribs. Its either too thin or too gummy

Everyone i cook for loves ribs, so when i can get them close to (what i consider) perfect, I always feel like a rock star but as it currently stands its one of the few BBQ foods i cant do better than a decent BBQ joint

I still struggle to get the perfect brisket; it’s either too done or it should have cooked a little longer. Flavor is always on point and I’ve never had a complaint, I just can’t get those picture perfect slices. These were fatty slices off the point. Really good, just not picture perfect. That was an 18 pound brisket I cooked for my employees a week or so ago, we had a going away party for someone. I did brisket, pulled pork, baked beans, slaw, and banana pudding. There wasn’t as much as a scrap left over. 

A2F14C37-10C6-4AFA-911F-4716EA0B58A6.jpeg

For me brisket is the hardest. Of course being just me and Mrs skreef I rarely cook brisket, which is basically the problem. 

The very best cut is mini tomahawks, aka veal rib chops at about 2" thick. Perfect single person tomahawk steaks. Unfortunately they are very expensive and only available on occasion. The few times I was able to get them they were the very best steak, way beyond anything else. 

37 minutes ago, ckreef said:

Of course being just me and Mrs skreef I rarely cook brisket, which is basically the problem. 

aka veal rib chops at about 2" thick. 

I get it, me, or me and the GF. A lot of  cooks get portioned out and frozen, or given to my faux brother and sister in law. Veal chops and hunter sauce. Really good. 

2 hours ago, ckreef said:

For me brisket is the hardest. Of course being just me and Mrs skreef I rarely cook brisket, which is basically the problem. 

I've got 2 words for you

Brisket Pie

When i want to do brisket practise (and dont want to invite a bunch of people round to help me eat it) I take a bit for dinner for the Missus and i and turn the rest into meat pies for lunches

Its my 2nd fav way to eat brisket

I've only tried brisket once. It was flavorful and edible but a little tough and dry. I turned the leftovers into chili. My daughter keeps asking when I am making brisket chili again, family thought it was one of the best :)

I do plan to try brisket again. Baby back ribs are another challenge for me, they come out good but not great. I think the brisket and ribs require good prep, grill control and PATIENCE! One of these days it will all come together :)