Owly

Floating Jars

Floating jars in sous vide is a nuisance.   Unlike using vac bags, there is often air space, and with some of the things I do, considerable air space.   Unless you use tall jars, with the product in the bottom, they have a tendency to flip on their sides.   My favorite jars are half pint wide mouth canning jars.   This morning I was experimenting with my power green breakfast  souffle benedict sous vide, and  because it rises quite a bit, I have to limit to just above half full.  These jars are not stable at this fill level, and I cannot reduce the water level in the pot I use enough to make them stable without starving the Annova.    I finally got pissed off enough that I went out and made a rack to set the jars on so I could submerge them to just under the ring.    My pot is a stockpot that I insulated with foam years ago, it also sits on foam, and  has a custom aluminum lid I built with a cutout for the Annova, with a piece of foam and another aluminum disc on top that holds the foam from curling.   It works very well, and I have no evaporation to speak of.

This rack is simply a piece of aluminum I cut out with my plasma cutter, and perforated with numerous holes using a hole saw so the water can circulate freely.    Beneath it are 3 pieces of 1.5" steel pipe about 3" long, joined by pieces of flat strap welded to them to keep them in an ideal triangle shape to support the rack.... it works perfectly for what I need, providing me with enough additional depth to submerge the Annova sufficiently without floating the jars.

The power greens breakfast souffle was something I wanted to make ahead, as my bag of Costco Power Greens was on the verge of "going off".  I use it in salads and such, and the problem of course is that mixed bagged greens tend to go off faster than I can consume them.  By cooking them like this as they approach end of life, I can save the souffles in the fridge for as much as a week, warm them, and use them later.  The canning jar / sous vide method seems to work very well.... About 45 min at 176, and they are well set, yet tender, and show no desire to fall.   The half pint wide mouth jars taper all the way, so they turn out nicely, and I suspect they could  even be frozen........... warming them without the jar might be an interesting challenge.   These are tender and airy, not tough and chewy like so many egg products, loaded with nutrition unlike the things people buy from what I call the "garbage isle" in the grocery store.  There is no reason  not to include whatever takes your fancy in them.  

H.W.

Interesting post, and thanks for sharing! As I was reading this, I was thinking, “dude, you need some kind of rack,” and then started thinking about how to cobble together, McGuyver style, some type of rack or stand. Then.... you say that you cut aluminum plate with your plasma cutter, “simply” :blink: I think I’m simply too ghetto for this thread...

post some pix of your handiwork, if you get a chance 

On 1/31/2020 at 6:44 AM, Chris Topher said:

Interesting post, and thanks for sharing! As I was reading this, I was thinking, “dude, you need some kind of rack,” and then started thinking about how to cobble together, McGuyver style, some type of rack or stand. Then.... you say that you cut aluminum plate with your plasma cutter, “simply” :blink: I think I’m simply too ghetto for this thread...

post some pix of your handiwork, if you get a chance 

In reality aluminum sign material.... which I made this from can easily be cut with a saber saw or table saw, skillsaw,or radial arm saw, etc.  I bought a pile of used signs from the City of Billings at auction years ago, and make things from them constantly.  I used the plasma cutter because I had it and it was convenient...($160 made in China Ebay purchase of several years ago).  I used a hole saw because it easily made large holes and I have a drill press........ some folks don't have a drill press, and hole saws do not work well in metal with a hand drill...........  for a bit of fun, just take it out to the range with your 12 gauge and a box of ball or rifled slugs to perforate it  ;-)   The stand offs could be almost anything.... small clay flower pots, tuna cans, chunks of quickcrete or plaster of Paris pored  into solo cups..... whatever you can dream up...nor would then need to be connected together as I did........ I did what I did because those were the things I had to work with.....................    H.W.