Sign in to follow this  
daninpd

Plans For The Superowl

Like everyone I'm serving up snacks for the Superbowl this year and in case anyone is still planning and needs some nudging here are some thoughts:

Pork Belly Burnt Ends (inspired by a email from Meat Church)

Firecracker Shrimp with Blue Cheese Dressing  https://www.usmagazine.com/food/news/andrew-zimmerns-super-bowl-snack-packs-a-punch/

Chicarron with Zatarain's Kick

Most of the photos will occur the day of Superbowl LIV, but I got ready by buying a 2 lb pork belly and taking off the skin (saving for chicarron) and coating it with Chupacabra Cajun Blend for a 3 day cure in the fridge.  I cut up the pork skin into bandaid sized strips and simmered them with salt, peppercorns, crushed garlic cloves and 2 tsp of Zatarain's Liquid Shrimp and Crab Boil for about 45 minutes then put them in the oven on a rack over a cookie sheet at 150 overnight to dehydrate.  Everything is now in the fridge, pork belly curing and the hard little skin strips in a sandwich bag.

Just a note:  Zatarain's Liquid Crab and Shrimp Boil is powerful stuff.  Go lightly.  I have literally cleared people of out my kitchen when I used too much.  You can create pepper gas in your kitchen.

The plan is to smoke the pork belly for 3 hours at 250 with some pecan wood, spritzing with apple juice. At that point cut into 1" cubes, sprinkle on a bit more Chupacabra and douse with a bottle of my favorite commercial BBQ sauce and put back in the Joe to smoke and caramelize into a glaze for an hour.  The shrimp will fry per recipe and the the hot oil will be used to transform the dried pork skin strips.  Looking forward to the game and snacking.

DMP_2271.JPG

DMP_2273.JPG

Dainpd  as usual your cooks and posts are great! I'm keeping it simple with a stuffed pork loin and sides with a few different dips. Nothing to exciting.

As I mentioned in the most challenging yet rewarding meat to queue, I am going to do baby back ribs. Not sure what sides I will be doing with them.

Edited by Golf Griller

59 minutes ago, TKOBBQ said:

I'm planning on doing some wings, brisket burnt ends and Asian Sticky Pork Belly Burnt Ends.

I hope you post the Asian Sticky Pork Belly Burnt Ends.  That's right up my alley.

I'm going high heat tonight, I've got a Picanha that I've been saving. I haven't decided on what sides I want to go with but I'm sure I'll figure that out. 

These are all looking good! I just put some wings and beef on to smoke. The beef will go into tonight's chili. I'm not certain if the wings will still be here by the time we eat the chili!

I told my daughter I would be watching the Super Bowl tonight, she was like, 'meh'. But if I told her there was a super owl out in the yard, she'd be like  'Where?! Where is it? Let's go see it!'