Sign in to follow this  
taperunner

Resting a Tri Tip

Hi All.  For the super bowl I’m going to cook some wings and a tri tip on my Big Joe.  Planning on doing a reverse sear on the tri tip but I’ve got a question about the resting period.  I’ve read a 15 min resting period is recommended.  Is there any harm in letting it rest for say an hour or two?  Only reason I’m thinking about that is timing everything out.  It might help if I can do the tri tip earlier then wrap it up and put it in a cooler.  I’m just not sure if there is any harm in letting it sit too long that way.  In the past, I’ve been able to keep brisket piping hot while wrapped in a towel and placed in a cooler so I was hoping to do the same thing here.

If you think timing might be an issue, you could slow roast the tri-tip to your desired temp, then put it

wrapped in the cooler. When almost almost ready to serve, pull it from the cooler and sear it.  A quick

sear will not cook the meat any further and the internal temp should be just about right for serving

along with a nice sear.

I prefer the outcome of tri tip at a 425. That will sear it and finish it in one step.   Be sure to start at room temp and not right out of the fridge.

8 hours ago, Family_cook said:

I prefer the outcome of tri tip at a 425. That will sear it and finish it in one step.   Be sure to start at room temp and not right out of the fridge.

If I have a Tri Tip that is thiner at the end of the triangle. I let it sit out to come to room temp but set a bag of frozen peas over the thin end, to keep the temp down.  It actually works and gives me a pretty even medium rare. I run my Egg at about 425, as well, but I set up a two zone cooking environment with a half stone below the main grate on one side. I bring the tri tip up to temp, about 115 slowly and then just drag it over to the direct flame side of the grate. Also, I warm my Yeti Roadie by filling it  with hot water before I pull the Tri Tip. When the Tri is at 115, I sear stand then I put it in the Yeti after pouring out the water and drying the inner surface.  You can keep it in the Yeti for up to an hour or so, which helps you have the time to make sure your sides are ready as well. Works great, gives you a rise in temp while keeping the meat at a serving temp  nice and  warm. 

I am so glad to see people treating this cut of meat like the steak it is rather than a roast.  And I like the idea that @keeperovdeflameputs out there for differential cooling before putting it on the fire.  The last tri-tip I did was in a chipotle orange marinade then sous vide for an hour at 125 and quick sear at 500 (I'm a rare guy).  After that it's all about how you thin slice it across the grain.

4 hours ago, keeperovdeflame said:

If I have a Tri Tip that is thiner at the end of the triangle. I let it sit out to come to room temp but set a bag of frozen peas over the thin end, to keep the temp down.  It actually works and gives me a pretty even medium rare. I run my Egg at about 425, as well, but I set up a two zone cooking environment with a half stone below the main grate on one side. I bring the tri tip up to temp, about 115 slowly and then just drag it over to the direct flame side of the grate. Also, I warm my Yeti Roadie by filling it  with hot water before I pull the Tri Tip. When the Tri is at 115, I sear it and then  I put it in the Yeti after pouring out the water and drying the inner surface.  You can keep it in the Yeti for up to an hour or so, which helps you have the time to make sure your sides are ready as well. Works great, gives you a rise in temp while keeping the meat at a serving temp  nice and  warm. 

Brilliant!  I have been tooth picking the corner under, but it is not an elegant solution.  Amazing alternative use for a bag of frozen peas.

On 1/31/2020 at 4:05 PM, K_sqrd said:

If you think timing might be an issue, you could slow roast the tri-tip to your desired temp, then put it

wrapped in the cooler. When almost almost ready to serve, pull it from the cooler and sear it.  A quick

sear will not cook the meat any further and the internal temp should be just about right for serving

along with a nice sear.

That's exactly how I would approach it.

For anyone that wanted to know the outcome: I ended up cooking the tri tip indirectly At 400 degrees to about 120.  At that point I seared it over direct heat and let it rest for about 30 minutes.  I had to cook it to about 135 as there were a good number of people that don’t like meat that is too rare, so that is a bummer but even still, this was one of the best things I’ve grilled in ages.  I sliced it as thin as possible for sandwiches and they were amazing.

4DD6C5D9-B869-427B-A8BF-8A6A9114B367.jpeg

C6A83C51-5B20-464D-BB2D-01ECD4C5B2CB.jpeg

11503098-903E-466B-BAE7-9A0755F3F82C.jpeg