Sign in to follow this  
paulleve

A Grilling Milestone

Tonight I celebrated the 300th fire I've lit in my Akorn!  In just under five years I have cooked quite the range of meals, from 650F stir fries to apple pies.  Three friends were so impressed with the Akorn's versatility they went out and got one for themselves.  (Meanwhile, my Kamado Joe and Weber Genesis both sit unused except on rare occasions!)  Certainly one of the best purchases I have ever made!

IMG_7519.jpg.e5ca156ed5c7f37fc71ab963ec6efe3c.jpg

I don't know which is more impressive... that you use your Akorn as much as you do or the fact that you actually keep count of how many times you use your Akorn. Makes me feel like the $290 I spent for mine was money well spent

4 hours ago, Team402 said:

I don't know which is more impressive... that you use your Akorn as much as you do or the fact that you actually keep count of how many times you use your Akorn. Makes me feel like the $290 I spent for mine was money well spent

Ha! I started keeping a log book when I got it because I was curious about the amount of charcoal the Akorn would go through.  The book ended up being really helpful for recording temps, cook times, and go-to recipes so I've kept it up for the past almost five years.  And to answer the charcoal use question that started it all, my average cook is about 1 hour at 400F and I was getting about 22 cooks per bag of Royal Oak lump. 

The Akorn is well worth its cost.  Mine lives outside full time on a covered porch, and it's easily got another five years of use left!

On 2/2/2020 at 9:26 AM, paulleve said:

Ha! I started keeping a log book when I got it because I was curious about the amount of charcoal the Akorn would go through.  The book ended up being really helpful for recording temps, cook times, and go-to recipes so I've kept it up for the past almost five years. 

This is brilliant! 

Invaluable information! 

I feel like a fool, practically winging it every time. I really wish I had my recipes. But I am just too lazy. 

I am 7 years into my Akorn, almost at 8.  I don’t think I have nearly as many cooks as you have though!  Congrats!  Many more happy times to come.