brute_strength

Akorn or Kamander for first kamado?

Hello, all.

Newbie here.  I skipped over the intro post, as I 1) don't yet own a kamado and 2) am trying to make a decision quickly.

I'm very interested in getting into one of these cookers.  I really appreciate the versatility, and I only hear great things about the food coming off these grills.  I found out pretty quickly that the insulated steel-body kamados are the most reasonable way to enter the fray.  I took that a step further, and have made arrangements to pick up a used one on Wednesday.  It seems in fairly good condition from the pictures and the owner is throwing in the stone diffuser and a cover, all for $100.  I have also, however, come across information on the Komander.  Although similar, most of the reviews I've read imply (or outright state) superior build-quality over the Akorn, and that it handles the high temps better.  I also like the unique bottom vent design.  I found a deal online that would let me order a new one for about $170, with free shipping.  If it helps, I plan to do a fair amount of both smoking-type cooks and high-temp sears.

I've been searching the net in general (and this forum in particular) for comparisons and suggestions, but have come up pretty dry.  I'm hoping putting the question to the community directly works better.  As a side note, the money I'd save with the Akorn I had planned to invest in some GrillGrates as I really like the pronounced sear marks.  My budget for grills is pretty much non-existent, which is why I want to try and make the best decision.  I'll have to live with it for a few years at the very least, lol.

Thanks so much in advance for your advice.  Let me know if I need to shed anymore light.

Welcome, glad to give you some input, but to be honest, your decision will just come down to which one fits your budget best, and  you like the best. Both of the grills you mention, the Komander, and the Akorn,  have large followings and hosts of well satisfied customers. I have seen amazing cooks come off both. Being  metal  they are both subject to rust over time and use. I have heard that the Komander is pretty durable, while some folks with Akorns talk of debilitating rust after years of use. I am sure there are learned opinions on both sides of that equation. Buying new, although more expensive, gives you a more consistently quality product. Buying used is cheaper but the quality of your grill can vary greatly depending on how it was treated, stored, and so on. Best of luck with your purchase. 

Welcome to the Guru and I have owned both and you can't go wrong with either one but if I could only have one I would pick the Kamander over the Akorn just better built and the intake system works great.

Scott

If the Akorn is pretty free of rust, getting a full sized Akorn with stone and cover for $100 is a steal. You're going to need a cover and some sort of heat deflector regardless of which one you pick, though AFAIK the Kamander sometimes comes with a cover and you can always use a $4-6 pizza pan as a deflector.

FWIW the Akorn doesn't always need mods to work, as the only thing I've done on mine is replace the top O-ring when it snapped earlier this year, causing an air leak.

Weighing $70 off vs. the warranty time/starting out with less wear makes this kind of a toss up.

Also I've sometimes seen the Kamander on sale at Aldi's around $125 on clearance, so depending on how long you can wait you can do some bargain shopping.

The only other thing I'd consider is the relative popularity of each. Being more popular doesn't mean it's better, but a larger user base means it's going to be easier to get DIY support, third party stuff if you want, etc.

8 hours ago, brute_strength said:

Thanks again for the input, guys. I scored this pretty little number for the aforementioned $200.

IMG_3891.jpg

IMG_3889.jpg

IMG_3890.jpg

Now jump over to Ceramic Grill Store to get the Accessories you need for that Vision to come to life!

Scott