Sign in to follow this  
Owly

smoke cooked fresh trout

Yesterday evening I cooked half of one fillet of fresh cut lovely salmon colored flesh trout a friend caught ice fishing the other day......... he gave me one fish and it will make 4 meals for me!!

I lit the kamodo, and let it heat up, prepared the  meat with a simple salt and pepper rub, and melted some butter and incorporated garlic and spices and lemon juice, which I bathed it in and later mopped on with a brush in the barbecue.     Very very simple.   I took some apple twigs from a pile a friend gave me, and put them on the coals,  put the fish on the grill at around 300F in the smoke, brushing the butter mixture on and turning it a few times. Normally I cook fish minimally......... just until tender, but I left this on just a bit longer for the smoke, but not enough to begin to dry out.  I wanted a subtle hint of smoke, and the apple was a good choice, but I prefer my native willow for fish.    I'll collect some today, and do another tonight.   As a single, the 10" grill mini kamodo  is a blessing, but at temps down well below freezing, I often am hesitant to light it for such a small job.  They really are best for more substantial stuff..... economy of scale.