2020 Costsco UK 24" Louisiana Kamado Grill

wasp23

On 2/21/2020 at 4:02 PM, EZ smoke said:

I looked at earlier today at my local Costco and was impressed with the new lid gasket and the new hinge. I didn't really look at the hinge in detail but raising and lowering the lid is now WAY easier and much better balanced than either my 2016 K24 or Vision Classic B. Again, they must have done something to the hinge design because the weight of the lid is now much lighter for the user. 

Other than that they are using the same top vent design as the older models. The lower vent is the same as the last couple years with the spark screen etc.

Overall, I thought the ceramic looked decent on the exterior but the interior was not as clean as my old one. That includes the firebox which isn't critical for use but worth noting. I'm still not a fan of the black plastic shelves and handles but that might just be me. LOL Of course you get the deflector and a cheap cover as well.

IMO $600 is still a stupid good deal for these kamados.

Saw them at "my" costco the other day too. the hinge looks to be the biggest improvement, in years past the costco would zip tie the lid closed because the floor models kept shattering when people would lose control of the weight lowering it down. 600 is a great price for this kamado IMO too, and I would probably ride up to the land of tax free shopping for it.

The grill looked to come with grates for two level cooking, and they seemed to be somewhat of a D/C type system of its own right. I couldn't play with it very much, it was all zipped together, and I needed to buy the diapers and get home

On 2/27/2020 at 4:59 AM, wasp23 said:

That will not fit. The inside of the K24 is around 21”

I looked at the new grill yesterday. Looks nice although I much prefer the Blue from the last couple years or even my original black to the new KJ clone red.  The silicone gadget looks nice but worries me. Silicone will not withstand temps over 800 and it lifespan will be short with repeated exposure to temps over 500.  They really need to find a 1200 degree gasket to put an end to the need for consumer replacements. 

Hi all, I've just joined (literally) as I've been lookig for a place of inspiration for my new Kamado grill.

I've got this Costco K24, so if anyone has any specific questions please ask and I'll see if I can answer them.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone, 

I'm looking at buying this model from Costco. My Mother in Law bought a Big Green Egg (BGE) that I coveted, until I was grilling at a family party and the rivets loosened causing the lid to fall off and crack in front of our guests. BGE sent out a replacement for $100, but the embarrassment was the real kicker for me.

When it came to my own grill I decided that for the price, this Kamado and the Masterbuilt Kamado were the most expensive ones my wife would sign off (I wanted a KJ, but that has been shot down).  

Does anyone know how these two Kamados compare? 

• 1 month later...

Agh!  My Pit Boss K24, bought from Costco in June 2017, has just developed a huge crack, running from above the lower vent to halfway across the base :(  Looks very, very terminal.  And there's me with about 50kg of lumpwood charcoal in the shed, and Costco aren’t carrying this model right now.

Gutted, as it makes really great pizzas.

4 hours ago, RichardD said:

Agh!  My Pit Boss K24, bought from Costco in June 2017, has just developed a huge crack, running from above the lower vent to halfway across the base :(  Looks very, very terminal.  And there's me with about 50kg of lumpwood charcoal in the shed, and Costco aren’t carrying this model right now.

Gutted, as it makes really great pizzas.

I have the same crack that appeared last month in my 2016 K24. I've been dealing with Danson's on the warranty for 4 weeks. There is an "order" in place for the replacement lower bowl but it hasn't shipped. The CSR indicated that they are way behind because of the pandemic and that shipping from that warehouse was delayed 2-3 weeks. I'm still hopeful to get it resolved but it is concerning. Thankfully mine is still useable but I have been using my back-up Vision Classic B to minimize the risk involved of using a cracked kamado.

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up this LG24 from Costco two days ago.  My first Kamado, I've been leaning pretty heavily on this site to get me going.  I have noticed that the firebox has a little wobble to it.  Should I consider this to be a serious issue?  My first though is to put a little sand under the firebox.  Good or bad idea?

Welcome, PungBeKang, congratulations on your first kamado and glad to have you with us. Ceramic components, even high quality ones, can have some slight imperfections due to process used to create them. Not having seen the issue up close to know how big your little wobble actually is, I would say it is probably not a big deal likely to cause any issues in how your kamado cooks unless it seriously affects the way your fire ring  (if you have one) or the top rim of your fire box  supports your main grate as it sits on top. The main grate on my BGE has a slight little wobble, that disappears as soon as there is some weight sitting  on the grate. At first when I had just purchased my grill it bugged me, and I messed with it. 6 years, and hundreds maybe a 1000 cooks later, I don't even give it the slightest thought. That said, my advice would be if you can cook on it do so and forget about it. However if it really bugs you could call customer service and see what they say.  If you want to mess with it, I would first find out if it is actually the fire box or the bottom of your kettle that is slightly uneven.You can easily do this by setting your fire box on something you know is perfectly level and seeing if it  wobbles.  I don't see anything wronging using little sand, but if the wobble is insignificant, I would let it go. Another thought, maybe a couple passes with some 80 grit sandpaper to the high spot will bring it back into level, but be careful you don't want to create a bigger issue . Best of luck and happy cooking. PS.Please stop by the introduction thread and let folks know who you are etc. 

• 2 months later...
On 6/5/2020 at 1:42 PM, RichardD said:

I’ve emailed both Dansons and Costco UK.  While I’d really like Dansons to replace the broken base, Costco have been slightly swifter in saying that they will organise a return and a refund.

C8DB6B87-9E1B-4B83-BA96-85E83F8A7FC3.jpeg

F508CCD9-25E3-46DA-A873-DDB663B6D50D.jpeg

I'm just getting around to swapping out my new lower bowl and after re-inspecting the crack on mine, it is almost identical to yours. I'm not sure if I didn't see the lower crack before or if it spread after making a few more cooks. In any case, I'm glad Dansons got me a new bowl because I wouldn't feel safe continuing to use mine the way it is now.