Sign in to follow this  
JunkerJorge

Greetings from South Carolina

Hello all,

I'm new to the whole Kamado thing. I have a weber gasser and was using the weber bullet quite a bit for some basic smoking (chicken, ribs, pork shoulder, and brisket with limited success) but let it go a few years back when the kids where really small and it was harder to carve out a few hours for working the grill. I decided instead of getting another smokey mountain or single use smoker I liked the versatility of the kamado cookers. After putting my hands on all the options I decided to pull the trigger on a Kamado Joe Classic II. Looking forward to getting it and trying to get back into some BBQ making. Also I'm new to the coast so I would love to add some seafood recipes to my repertoire.

Thanks for all the knowledge you share and happy grilling.

Welcome Jorge, glad to have both you and your Joe with us. Yeah your new Joe is a versatile and truly amazing cooker. The moist humid cooking environment is actually more like a charcoal fired convection oven than it is just another BBQ or Smoker. You can cook anything on a Kamado that you can in your kitchen oven, all the way from breads, pies, pizza, through all the BBQ classics, and on to fancy recipes and pretty much anything you can think of. I love cooking fish on my Egg, it just seems to come out exceptionally well over charcoal. Happy Cooking. 

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new Classic 2.  You will really like how easy it is to clean compared to the smokey mountain, no more water pan!  I've smoked fresh caught mackerel and turned it into an awesome dip.  

41 minutes ago, BobE said:

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new Classic 2.  You will really like how easy it is to clean compared to the smokey mountain, no more water pan!  I've smoked fresh caught mackerel and turned it into an awesome dip.  

Thanks. That's great to hear. The water pan could be a pain. I think at some point I switched to dry water pan and used a foil wrapped terra cotta basin for my heat sink, but it never worked quite as well. I'm looking forward to learning how to work the new cooker. 

5 hours ago, keeperovdeflame said:

Welcome Jorge, glad to have both you and your Joe with us. Yeah your new Joe is a versatile and truly amazing cooker. The moist humid cooking environment is actually more like a charcoal fired convection oven than it is just another BBQ or Smoker. You can cook anything on a Kamado that you can in your kitchen oven, all the way from breads, pies, pizza, through all the BBQ classics, and on to fancy recipes and pretty much anything you can think of. I love cooking fish on my Egg, it just seems to come out exceptionally well over charcoal. Happy Cooking. 

Thanks. I'm going to have to lurk around the fish recipe part of the forums. Thanks for the info.

Wow. This thing holds temp amazingly. Ran some baby back ribs last night for a first cook. Was shooting for 225ish and overshot to 275 or so. I guess for a low and slow you barely need that bottom vent open at all. Never got it down. Not a big deal, it just turned my 3-2-1 method into a 2-1-1. Ribs turned out great with rave reviews. Can’t wait for the next experiment. Tonight?