Dogstar

My new KJ Classic III is arriving this afternoon

After lurking here and around the Internet looking for the next step in my smoking / BBQ life for many years, I finally pulled the trigger on a new KJ classic III.  It was shipped from GA and is being delivered this afternoon.  Just to be sure there are no issues, what, if anything, should I be checking for on delivery?

For the past 10+ years I've been using a stainless steel vertical propane smoker / grill that I bought at Costco.  I've liked that much better than any traditional BBQ I ever used.  My old smoker / grill is quick up to temp, and due to height, no flare-ups, and pretty easy to control.  But it's now showing its age and the burner element needs replacement.  These are excuses though, because honestly, I've been lusting after a Kamado for years.

The alternate idea that has long tweaked my curiosity, is someday building a custom smoker and grill.  I've got a great spot for it.  But mainly because I'm sure, over time, that task would end up as a multi-scrape and re-build (or at least remodel) project (mainly to get the smoker engineered right), that if it ever comes, it will be much later.  So I plan for the new Kamado to sate my BBQ dreams for a long time.

Because it seems to be so well thought out, after hours and hours of research, I decided on getting a KJ, and the new Classic III seems like the right size for us.  Heck, even when buying some lump for the new grill at a nearby hardware store (most everyone has one of these nearby) last weekend, the guy working there (they offer another brand - guess what color?) immediately responded the KJ's were the better way to go.  This was right after I sheepishly told him, while standing in front of their display with other customers looking on, that I had bought a different brand of Kool-Aid (apparently they used to sell red).

Since my delivery has been delayed a little, I've already bought several accessories, so I'm anxious to get going.  I expect the ride to be a lot of fun.  Hey, it's not just a grill, it's entertainment!  (Marketing 101 for expensive doodads!)

First I know I should season my new Kamado a bit.  But if you have any thoughts, I'd definitely welcome them.

Great forums.  Thanks for the help.

Welcome aboard, you're about to enjoy many years of kamado-style cooking. As a quick note you don't need to season your new Joe - just start cooking. That said a lot of folks like to load in some lump, fire it up and play with the vent settings, either with or without food. The user manual has lots of good information and I suspect you've already found the Kamado Joe Youtube channel.    

Happy cooking!

Welcome to the forum. Just make sure there isn't any damage to the grill. KJ packs them well but sometimes there is still something broken. The only seasoning I would recommend is to build a fire and bring the temps up to about 350° and let it run for about 30 minutes. This will burn out any contaminates from the factory and set the adhesive in the seals. Then cook anything you want.

6 hours ago, LargeRedJoe said:

Welcome aboard, you're about to enjoy many years of kamado-style cooking. As a quick note you don't need to season your new Joe - just start cooking. That said a lot of folks like to load in some lump, fire it up and play with the vent settings, either with or without food. The user manual has lots of good information and I suspect you've already found the Kamado Joe Youtube channel.    

Happy cooking!

I think I've seen some YouTube videos, but I will definitely check again.  Thanks for the reminder!

5 hours ago, retfr8flyr said:

Welcome to the forum. Just make sure there isn't any damage to the grill. KJ packs them well but sometimes there is still something broken. The only seasoning I would recommend is to build a fire and bring the temps up to about 350° and let it run for about 30 minutes. This will burn out any contaminates from the factory and set the adhesive in the seals. Then cook anything you want.

After having read of a few problems that occasionally pop up, I will be on the lookout.  Good ideas and thanks for the specific info.

Welcome to the forum Dogstar and congratulations on the new KJC3.  Hopefully it comes to you blemish free.

2 hours ago, Scott Roberts said:

Welcome to the Guru and congrats on your new KJIII.

Scott

Thank you Scott

Congrats on getting a new grill. I would cook on it for a month or two to learn your grill then get a temperature controller, especially if you are going to go low and slow.