Kimosabe

Why do I need a kamado..?

Convince me.. Well, actually..convince my wife!

I have a 22 inch Weber Master touch and an 18 inch WSM. I really want a kamado joe!! I don’t know why! They look soooo cool!! I really can’t justify the €2,000 price tag though and my wife keeps telling me “you’re crazy! The food will just taste the same!”. I know it will in reality but I still want one.. The problem is I know I really don’t need it!

Please convince me!!

Technically I suppose you could argue that you want to replace both of those with a Kamado (although I would probably want to keep them and the kamado).  The main argument for a Kamado is its versatility and efficiency.  You can't run either of the grills you listed anywhere near as long on a load of fuel.  My Akorn with temp controller will run 24 hours or more on a smoke without refueling and probably still have some coals left. While the Kettle is closer in versatility meaning you can do high heat as well as smoking it isn't as good at either as a Kamado and runs through fuel like at an extremely higher rate.  The argument you can use for a kamado against most other grills is they will outlive just about anything since the main body of stuff like the KJ is ceramic.  The problem is well cared for Webers will last just as long.

They Are Fun! 

Also extremely versatile! 

The design allows low and slow or sky high for pizza! 

Can produce extraordinarily flavorful food! 

GET ONE! 

You need one for sure! 

I guarantee you will love it! 

I have only ever heard of a single kamado being returned and that was a stick burner guy. He's used to messing with the fire constantly. That is a pain in the ### with a kamado. Another reason you fill the firebox every time so you don't have to break down the pit (remove everything) to get to the fire. 

Even if you have to start with an Akorn. 

My wife bought my Akorn from a salvage store so I would get it out of my system before I spent big bucks on "the best" and lost interest. 

Well, it's going on three years and I have barely touched the gasser since! And no plans to replace it with ceramic. I love my little steel buddy! 

A kamado is so fuel efficient that it’ll pay for itself in a few weeks, of course, assuming sufficient cooks. Heck, you could be MAKING money by buying one!

its like coupons. Say you have a 20% off coupon. The more you spend, the more you save. There’s an inflection point where you break even, but if you spend more than the inflection point, you come out ahead!

On top of all the good arguments above is the fact that the Kamado retains moisture like no other cooker.  I recently did two pork butts and after the cook I had a pool of water in the ash catch.  Everything just comes out more moist that on most other cookers.

8 hours ago, Tarnation said:

The problem is well cared for Webers will last just as long.

Umm.......NO!!  I ran kettles for 40+ years.  They will either burn out and develop rust, or the movable parts will start to deteriorate.  Mine usually lasted average 10 years, take or give a few months.  Got tired of replacing them and finally bit the bullet and got something my children or grandchildren will use hopefully when I no longer remember how to grill and bake in one.

14 hours ago, Chris Topher said:

A kamado is so fuel efficient that it’ll pay for itself in a few weeks, of course, assuming sufficient cooks. Heck, you could be MAKING money by buying one!

YES! 

7 hours ago, BURGER MEISTER said:

Umm.......NO!!  I ran kettles for 40+ years.  They will either burn out and develop rust, or the movable parts will start to deteriorate.  Mine usually lasted average 10 years, take or give a few months.  Got tired of replacing them and finally bit the bullet and got something my children or grandchildren will use hopefully when I no longer remember how to grill and bake in one.

Kamado's have their fair share of metal components that will also rust and breakdown, hinges, wheels, vents, grates.  They're not immune to it.  The main body of a Weber kettle can last for a really long time, but you will have to replace grates and maybe the ash clean out system.  You do have to be obsessive about cleaning them though and garage storing them.  Your average Char Broil/Char Griller/ el cheap-o gasser will rust out from heat alone.

I have a Weber 22" master touch on my patio right next to my Primo Oval XL.  2 different beasts.

The kamado is far more versatile,  capable of running unattended overnight,  capable of doing everything from smoking cheese to whole packer brisket to baking cookies or pies, to bread, to pizza and beyond.  It's a wood fired oven that can broil, bake, warm and grill.

They have the ultimate cool factor too.

In Truth, your wife, is correct, you don't need a kamado. However, " I want" is a much stronger emotion than "I need". I used to cook on a Weber Kettle and now cook on a large BGE. I much prefer cooking on my Egg to the kettle, and though I no longer have the kettle, I will always have a kamado. But even  I can't ,in all honesty, say  that I absolutely need a kamado. However, I have one, because I want one. My suggestion is to agree with your wife, explain that you want one, and then work out a compromise that puts a kamado on your patio. By the way even though I don't need one,  I  find what Philpom says below to be true.  Good luck and Happy Cooking. 

4 hours ago, philpom said:

The kamado is far more versatile,  capable of running unattended overnight,  capable of doing everything from smoking cheese to whole packer brisket to baking cookies or pies, to bread, to pizza and beyond.  It's a wood fired oven that can broil, bake, warm and grill. They have the ultimate cool factor too.

I am laughing hard at this... I would totally say something just like it. 

21 hours ago, Chris Topher said:

Heck, you could be MAKING money by buying one!

Don't do it for you, do it for your family. You really don't have a choice. 

I have Weber Smokey Mt., Performer and a gasser.  Four years ago a Kamado Joe followed me home from Costco one day and my wife told me I have a "grill problem".  This past New Years day when I pulled a prime rib off that had been spinning on the Joetisserie, she said "I think that is the best purchase you have ever made".  Doesn't say much for buying skills, but it does speak volumes about the grill.

I'm gonna skip why you should get a Kamado Joe--because it's inevitable--and go to why you should go straight to the Big Joe...

You can easily cook:

5+ racks of babybacks

983016624_5Ribs.thumb.jpg.fb741735630eab9ffda7fb67fa4b8267.jpg

A whole brisket and a flat

369835309_2Briskets.thumb.jpg.5dfa91bb996ba4156e2f711e89c736ca.jpg

4 pork butts (They were surrounded by beef ribs earlier in the day)

558537075_4PorkButts.thumb.jpg.ccb2c5f780882f26b38799af485dc40d.jpg

Or 2 pork butts, a rack of ribs, and a brisket.  The combinations are endless!

513317171_BrisketRibs2PorkButts.thumb.jpg.e8d82a635ff9b96eb7d7e03c52600954.jpg

In all seriousness, not matter what you get, if you use it on a regular basis, you'll both understand why you got it.  I'm having 15-20 people over for the Daytona 500 this weekend.  Do you know how many of them actually like NASCAR or care about the race?  Maybe 3.  The rest are coming because they're wondering what I'll have cooked up on the Big Joe and Akorn.  

Surely she'll think it's more attractive than the Weber's, right?

If you are kind of on the fence I would suggest getting an Akorn. Low entry point for a great Kamado. It will surely last you 4-5 years and if you're still in love with it when the dome falls off go get a KJ9 or whatever is out by then. 

On 2/24/2020 at 9:13 AM, levic900rr said:

If you are kind of on the fence I would suggest getting an Akorn. Low entry point for a great Kamado. It will surely last you 4-5 years and if you're still in love with it when the dome falls off go get a KJ9 or whatever is out by then. 

Sometimes you can find a little used Akorn for $150 - 100 from someone who gave up before they understood what they had. 

So, did you choose whether or not to get one, yet?