Sign in to follow this  
Dogstar

Brand new KJ Classic III - faulty temp gauge?

My new KJ Classic III was just delivered last evening.  I'm putting things together today.  The ambient weather temp outside is about 65 degrees

The back side of the KJ is partially in the sun.  The vent is not yet installed on the top, and the bottom vent is open.

The temperature gauge on the dome is currently reading a whopping 185 degrees Fahrenheit.  But the actual inner KJ temp is maybe 75 degrees.

I haven't even started putting it together - though most of the parts are out of the box.  The lid was closed, though I just opened it.  Nothing else is inside.

I'm assuming the temperature gauge on the dome is adjustable, or do I need to talk to KJ or the dealer about getting a replacement?

6 minutes ago, JaxxQ said:

Heres a How to calibrate video if it is off

Thanks JaxxQ.  I will go through it. 

11 hours ago, BURGER MEISTER said:

It's adjustable and should be calibrated before you trust it.  Thermoworks has a video tutorial on their website to help you out.

Thank you Burger Meister.  I'll go through it.

I watched the video and removed the temperature gauge from the KJ.  Then I used boiling water as my known temperature. The KJ temperature gauge was way off, reading just over 300 degrees Fahrenheit when immersed in the boiling water.  It was simple to adjust the little set screw, and adjust the gauge for an accurate 212 degrees Fahrenheit for boiling water.  Reinstalled the gauge in the KJ, and I think I'm good to go.  Thanks for the help.

So Celsius, Kelvin and Fahrenheit walk into a bar....  Finally all those chemistry classes are put to use.

As long as we're discussing Chemistry (well, scales really)

Two Chemists walk into a bar.  One says, “I’ll take an ‎H2O.” The other says, “I’ll have an ‎H2O, too.” The second chemist dies.

6 minutes ago, Dogstar said:

So Celsius, Kelvin and Fahrenheit walk into a bar....  Finally all those chemistry classes are put to use.

As long as we're discussing Chemistry (well, scales really)

Two Chemists walk into a bar.  One says, “I’ll take an ‎H2O.” The other says, “I’ll have an ‎H2O, too.” The second chemist dies.

I'll have a the Dihydrogen Monoxide