Sign in to follow this  
Owly

Sous Vide Dinner Rolls

I tried a rather radical experiment yesterday....... and it was a success  (mostly).    I made up a small batch of yeast dough dinner rolls,  placing each one in a 1/2 pint wide mouth jar.  I used my LEM food dehydrator as a proofer...... The broad range of temps makes it a real asset for this sort of thing.  The lowest market temp is 90F... and it goes lower, though I have  no idea why you would use temp much lower than that.   The highest being 150F......One of these days I will get one of the high tech convection oven combos that serve as a dehydrator, a convection oven and an air fryer.  

The rolls were proofed and ended up being perfect size in the well greased jars.  They then went into the sous vide water bath at 195, which is the target internal temp for bread baking according to my reading on the subject, and were cooked 3 hrs.   They came out beautifully, with a nicely rounded top, and nice shape from the jar walls, but of course were not browned.  I tipped them out of the jars, with a little help from a knife along the edge, and put them in an air fryer a neighbor recently gave me as they didn't use it anymore.   400F for about 10 min.    They came  out beautiful, perfectly cooked, crispy crust, and tender and airy in the middle.

I'm not "advocating" this method due to the long cooking time,  however there is the great benefit of not being time critical.... 3 hrs, 4, 5.... I doubt that it would matter.  That means that you could put them in the sous vide around noon, and have fresh hot rolls at dinner..... whenever that is.   They aren't going to dry out, and all you need at dinner time is a hot oven for browning them.

I plan to experiment further.........using long cooking times, even over night..... the ingredients are cheap.   I also am thinking of doing it in a wide mouth quart jar laid down on it's side for a sort of poor boy or hoagie bun.

The one problem I had was that two of the jars took on some water, ruining the contents.  The lesson from this is to make sure the lids are fairly tight.  They need to be able to vent, but not take on water.  

H.W.

On 2/15/2020 at 10:34 AM, Owly said:

I plan to experiment further.........using long cooking times, even over night..... the ingredients are cheap.   I also am thinking of doing it in a wide mouth quart jar laid down on it's side for a sort of poor boy or hoagie bun.

H.W.

I love the sound of this and would like to see more.  I'm on the side of whoever said "If there aren't any pictures it didn't happen".

I've not been as successful as I'd hoped, and I moved on to other projects.   Your statement about pictures is what is known as "California Rules"..... "If it isn't on film, it didn't happen".............

H.W.