Team402

Short Plate

I’ve been wanting to do a long cook for a couple of weeks and with the Pens being on TV today I knew I would be hanging around the house today for atleast 3-4 hrs which should be just about enough to to bang out a short plate of beef ribs.

I’ve had an extra plate of beef ribs I got from my friends at HedgeApple Farm in the deep freezer and today is the perfect day for it.

I’m starting out by trimming off a lot of the outside fat. There is great marbling throughout the beef so I’m not concerned whatsoever about taking too much off. My main concern is not cutting into the beef itself.

764B5423-C060-4B3C-838A-39516CCD71E8.jpeg

After some careful knife work I get it to a point where I have most of the beef exposed and it looks absolutely delectable. Since I have already cooked these ribs in the past I know exactly what I will end up with. I think the only difference in cooking technique I will make this time is to go with a bit lower temp and for a longer cook time. I believe that will really get this beef super tender. We’ll see.

9AC40643-58E1-4850-8412-56F5F6D3D36D.jpeg

Once I got it trimmed down I started with olive oil as a binder and then went with basic salt & pepper. I keep it simple, course ground kosher salt and restaurant grind black pepper at a 50/50 ratio. Both of which I got at Sam’s on the super cheap. After I got the base layer down I give a nice sprinkling of Heath Riles Beef Rub to add just a bit of heat flavor and loads of color.

EA6E2184-74DF-44AB-A07C-9084F1C7FF99.jpeg

Now it’s into the fridge to dry brine for about 4 hrs to allow the rub to adhere to the beef and for the flavors to start penetrating into the meat. 
Again, keeping it simple, lay it on a baking sheet and cover with Saranwrap. A little trick I learned in keeping the covering tight is to use what I call “the little clippy things” from Staples. I use them all the time when dry brining or when I always aluminum foil in the smokers. Talk about keeping a tight seal!

6A6AF81D-3721-4773-AA30-CD8421A6CA21.jpeg

24D83521-1DF4-4E8D-BE30-FB050E9DDABE.jpeg

1 hour ago, pmillen said:

I'm having a difficult time finding meaty beef ribs.

That actually surprises me with you being from Nebraska. I would have thought that the midwest states would have so much availability and a larger variety of cuts than either of the two coasts.

One of the things I like best about HedgeApple Farm is that they are very accommodating to my requests for special cuts. Sometimes I have to wait 21 days because I have to wait for the butchering and the the 14 days of dry aging but they have come through for me every single time. I still have 2 fairly decent sized Picanhas in my freezer. I asked them for 3 and they cut me 4 knowing I would of course buy the extra one. The plate of ribs pictured above is the last of 4 plates that I bought when I asked for them. It's gotten to the point where I don't want/like to buy beef at the grocery store. Even the ground up beef is now the preferred choice in my house. I'm starting to develop a relationship from a pork farm near me called CopperPenny Farm. Clean meat, some of the most pinkest whitest pork I have every seen. It really tastes so pure.

What I would suggest is doing a google search of beef farms near you, check out the website and see if they are a farm that you'd visit. Of course all the popular cuts will always be available and ready to purchase. Don't be afraid to ask for something specific. I think Scott likes it when I tell him I want to do something special. Here's an example, I told him that I wanted to make Italian beef sandwiches from a recipe that I got from Malcom Reed's website. When my wife & I went in to the store last weekend and saw Top Sirloin was on sale it was a done deal that I was going home with one of them. Not only did he listen to me about what I was doing he had one already picked out that he thought would be perfect for what I had planned for it. You'll never get that at the grocery store, Sam's Club or Costco.

I hope that is helpful to you... 

8 minutes ago, Team402 said:

That actually surprises me with you being from Nebraska. I would have thought that the midwest states would have so much availability and a larger variety of cuts than either of the two coasts.

You offer good suggestions.

The short ribs that I see are pretty lean.  I'm not certain how they're cut but it appears that butchers prefer to do so by leaving more meat on the nearby cuts.  I think that would be the chuck roast.

Omaha has several family owned meat retailers.  But they don't appear to do their own butchering.  I think they buy boxed meat from the huge slaughter/packer/cutter operations that are monopolizing beef distribution the way Tyson Foods monopolized chicken distribution.  What I see in their shops is no different than what's available in Restaurant Depot.

I may look for a small custom slaughter operation (like my father owned), but meatier short ribs are a ways down on my priority list.

After 4 hrs of dry brining the mahogany color is absolutely outrageous! I have a feeling these things are going to turn out amazingly good.

A1226853-B108-40C7-90B2-CC292A5DED25.jpeg

It took about 40 mins to get to where I wanted to be at 225. I figure it will take me about 3-4 hrs to get to 180, I’ll wrap in paper and then target somewhere about 205 as a pull temp. Atleast that’s my plan. I’ll check the temps, inspect the progress and give it the first spritzing in about an hour.

2770E41C-B474-4759-977D-4E79B33A16E9.jpeg

47A4F96C-E3A4-41B8-9439-35DC7E466266.jpeg

C0735380-7E42-4A72-B64C-000DBBEA6E55.jpeg

F8AE2E31-5337-447F-AECF-EDA0059E0BBC.jpeg

At one hour the bark is starting to really set. The seasoning is sticking really good but does come off a little bit. Still a couple of hours away from wrapping. 

04591F37-497F-47CE-9532-07C0CDA3DB9A.jpeg

I’m sticking to my original plan and staying low on the grate temp, mid 220s is the plan. Color is phenomenal and the meat temp is slowly but steadily coming up.

1B8EF997-23D3-46C5-A5BC-B999BB38FF9F.jpeg

BC911A8B-98D1-47B3-BF0C-96A710C72FB7.jpeg

Boy that took a lot longer to get through the stall than I thought. There’s great pullback on the meat. I have to admit I did let the temps come up just a bit. Now that I’m through the stall I’ve got it wrap and have about 20 degrees to go.

9516AE46-F653-41AF-9C5C-43B20502BDAE.jpeg

FA90D7E6-EB88-4A96-A4CE-B84581C35450.jpeg

3BD6A258-2A1D-4AE7-8475-20DAF1C07DA9.jpeg

I totally underestimated how long it was going to take to hit my target temp. It ended up being closer to about 6 hrs and then another half hour rest. When I pulled them off I kept them wrapped in the paper until the temp dropped down to about 190 and that’s when I unwrapped them. This turned out really better than I had pictured.

2419E3B9-CE86-4973-9B1F-2C4ABB13C30D.jpeg

DE236819-0029-4A9C-B470-EDBE6EB1AF59.jpeg

And this what I saw when I separated the bones for each of the three of us

The only thing I would do differently would be maybe bring the cooking temp up a bit to say somewhere around 240. Maybe that would help render out some more of the fat. All in all, not a bad cook and no smokey after taste.

I would most certainly recommend doing this cook if you are a rib fan and love beef. It’s a nice change from babybacks.

3245F2D4-36A3-42BA-8980-2D53A81D420E.jpeg

15C9ECC5-2617-4061-B05A-3DEC1F6034EB.jpeg

Nice ribs! 

I really appreciate the multi post method of explanation. 

Seems preferable to a written explanation and a bunch of pictures in random order.