Sign in to follow this  

I want to try smoking a chuck roast on my Akorn. Can anybody give me some suggestions on time and temp.? I'm guessing it needs to cook at about 225 until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 160 and then do I wrap it in butcher paper and put it back into the smoker until it reaches 200? Looking to slice it, not shred it. Thanks for the tips in advance!

I do this all the time on my KJ, I find it much easier than brisket, and much more accessible (and cheaper). You may never go back, I only do when it's specifically requested and I cant talk them out of it.

Buy the fattier ones if you can, I have found that ones with less fat are less forgiving and dry out (but are still damn fine).

I go anywhere from 225-275. Basic beef rubs will do (S&P, Meat Church Holy-Cow, AGC sherpa or similar).

They take about 5-6 hours for me. I usually throw a chunk of oak on there, or hickory, or cherry, or whatever, do what you want. Not too much though! One chunk that I chop up into 2-3 smaller pieces is PLENTY.

You can take it to about 190-195 for slicing, I have found that temp works for me, you could probably get away with 200, I have never pulled one. I do not wrap, I don't find it necessary. I do take them off and put them on a sheet pan with foil overtop for anywhere from a half hour to 3 hours or so pre-slicing, but thats all (if it goes for a while more than an hour i'll put them in my oven set to "warm" while covered and on the pan).

I always put an aluminum drip pan underneath mine, because the fatty ones will give off alot of that. Which is rendered, smoked, beef fat. Do with that what you want, but man oh man, sauteing some onions and mushrooms in that for like, omelets, or pasta later in the week...::chefs kiss::

IMG_4075.jpg

IMG_4078.jpg

IMG_4079.jpg

IMG_4070.jpg

Wow! That looks amazing! Thanks for the info. I will definitely try it your way. Apparently I was basically on the right track with my thinking so I will cook it at around 250 until it reaches 190-195 and then pull it and let it rest. I love the bark and smoke ring you achieved.

I run a KJ, so I put my accessory rack on the lower level, and always put an empty pan there. you could probably put a pan on your deflector plate, but the fat may burn since it'll be hotter. maybe get some ceramic flowerpot feet, put them on the stone and put the pan on that?

In the past I've made a foil rack to put the pan on which worked well. Was just curious what you were using since it looked like a metal stand of some sort.

Not sure from the OP what her final destination is for her roast. If it's sliced chuck then KJTerp covered it perfectly. In my experience, getting a chuck "pullable" is trickier than with a Boston butt. Usually finishing with a braise or steam is necessary. Here's a good recipe that illustrates pulled or shredded chuck
http://www.thewolfepit.com/2009/10/pepper-stout-beef.html

Pics please and fill out your profile when you get the chance! 

I am anxious to hear about your cook. I am finally ready to try a "chuckie" but my grill has gone wonky. I have incorporated a controller so I need to eliminate that as a factor before trying a bargain brisket. 

20 hours ago, cajunlady said:

Thanks for the info. However, as I mentioned in my original post, I plan to slice, not shred the chuck as I prefer it sliced.

Oops sorry. That's what I get for skimming instead of reading carefully. Good luck with your cook.

Do yourself a favor and check out Derhusker's posts on "Chucky's N

ightmare." Not only are they entertaining, but if you make his chuck roast, you and your people will be forever grateful.