LJS

Hello Kamado Peeps,

Has ana awesome weekend.

My friend did a low and slow leg of lamb on the Webber kettle and left it in sauce with the aim of enhancing the gravy. It sure did and pulled apart beautifully on the rolls, he also did not use any wood just natural spices.    

So I had to do a cook myself. Went to this new meat shop (meat emporium Sydney) and the selection and quality is really good. I walked out over budget and decided to do some pork ribs a monster pcs.

Spice: Pepper, salt, garlic, mustard, onion, paprika, sugar and cayenne pepper  

Wood: Cheery and 1pcs pecan

3 2 1 method – full proof as always, some 5-6 hours later yummy

Keep smoking ….

r1.JPG

r2.JPG

r3.JPG

r4.JPG

r5.JPG

r6.JPG

Y'all gots Akrons over there? Kule! 

Wine killing me, though I gave it up for Lent. Gotta switch over to the scotch dude. LOL! 

Nice cook and I especially appreciate the recipe and pics! 

Great presentation. 

I got a 12v PID off Amazon and hooked it to a little computer vent fan that fits perfectly in the lower damper port! 

But since then I have lost control of the grill. Every time I try to get it to lower the temperature, even a little bit, it goes out! 

I believe it has nothing to do with the controller but I am going to attempt a low and slow cook without it to see what happens. 

C'Ya! 

23 hours ago, lnarngr said:

Y'all gots Akrons over there? Kule! 

Wine killing me, though I gave it up for Lent. Gotta switch over to the scotch dude. LOL! 

Nice cook and I especially appreciate the recipe and pics! 

Great presentation. 

I got a 12v PID off Amazon and hooked it to a little computer vent fan that fits perfectly in the lower damper port! 

But since then I have lost control of the grill. Every time I try to get it to lower the temperature, even a little bit, it goes out! 

I believe it has nothing to do with the controller but I am going to attempt a low and slow cook without it to see what happens. 

C'Ya! 

Thanks guys,

I have no problem holding a low and slow heat for 8-9hours at 300F I struggle a little after the 2.5 hours mark burning at 212F I normally got to open vents and then let the heat pick up and close it down again. I don’t have a Kamado Joe but I am really impressed and happy with the Akorn.

I have also looked at the controller but decided against it and to keep it real – my perspective

18 hours ago, AntinOz said:

Yup, plenty of Akorn's over here (I have two). Reallly nice looking ribs, totally ruined by that green can ;-)

Thanks AntinOz - It was really hot so perfect for green 

:good:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By pittmab
      1kg back ribs from my local butcher, cooked using a modified 3-2-1 method over charcoal and cherry wood. And finished with a Bulleit bourbon glaze.

Really pleased with how these came out, not fall of the bone but tender and juicy just how I like them!

• By Bomb Dog Barbecue
      I have a question for the community about fire construction and how much charcoal I should be using when I set up a cook. I have a KJ Classic III and have been using the SloRoller for all of my low and slow cooks.

On some of my larger cooks (one pork butt, a full brisket, and then two boneless pork shoulders) I have burned through all of my fuel before the cook was done. I filled the standard KJ ash basket with charcoal and then light it up with one KJ firestarter. I was smoking everything at around 250F and followed the heating method described by SmokingDad BBQ on his YouTube channel (it worked well!).

Does anyone have an image of what their charcoal looks like when setting up for a 10lb brisket or pork butt?
    • By LJS
      Hello Kamado Peeps,
      I made the best pork belly ever with smoke flavour as well as 100% perfect crackling.
      Take your pork belly and do a lot more scoring on the skin and if you have one of those goodies with lots of spikes then spike the skin. Then ladle boiling water over the skin about 10-15 time to make sure the skin has boiled up a little. Pat dry and then place skin side down on a bed of salt, leave in fridge for 12-24 hours.
      After that just wipe the salt off the skin and add your favorite rub on the meat side.
      Cook indirect heat at 200-220°C until internal Temp is at 75°C perfection.
      Keep smoking 

• By Tracksoup
      Hey everyone. Call me Tracksoup. I'm an avid outdoorsman who enjoys hunting and fishing, its a great to know that I've played a part in putting food on the table.  

A few years ago I saw a BGE and became intrigued with the Kamado cooker. I could never bring myself to spend the $$$ to replace my propane BBQ with a kamado. But after months of saving my pennies to buy a motorcycle, my wife decided that she really didn't want me riding anymore, so I decided this was my opportunity to buy myself a Kamado grill. I did a lot of reading and research about the different kamado grills available (within a reasonable distance from where I live) and made the decision to buy myself a Vision Grills Pro S grill back in April 2020 & I couldn't be happier with my decision to go Kamado.

Up until now, my only BBQ experience was a propane grill & although I've got a health appetite, the flavour of the food was 'ho-hum'. Since I got my Vision grill, I've grilled everything from venison steaks & burgers, pork sausages, chicken breasts and thighs, I've smoked pork spare ribs and even a low & slow moose roast, there is so much more flavour in the food now & I'm cooking on my kamado way more often than I ever did with the propane BBQ. This thing is awesome!!! 

While looking for info & tips to familiarize myself with this wonderful cooker, I found Kamadoguru.com about mid-June. There is so much info on this forum & I am enjoying reading through the pages 

• By daninpd
      I was doing some research for this months challenge... okay, okay, I was just watching TV- but it was a cooking show, and the chef on the show was making Pozole Rojo, a red pork stew.  As I watched the show I realized the stew gets a lot of garnishes and condiments, but basically only has 5 ingredients: Pork, Dried Chiles, Hominy, Onion and Garlic.  Talk about a "Well, Duh!" moment.  So I made it.  I used garlic powder from the spice rack to be able to add one garnish  (red cabbage) and let the white onion do double duty, both in the stew and chopped fine for a garnish.  I used a package of pork necks and roasted them at 400 for an hour in the Joe to get a little color, then put them in a Dutch oven with water to cover and let that go overnight at 250 covered in the Joe to make a rich pork stock.  The next day I strained and refrigerated the stock so I could skim off the hardened fat. The rest of the recipe:
      1-1/2 to 2 lbs pork shoulder cut into chunks for stew
      4 oz dried Pasilla Peppers
      1 tsp cumin
      1 tsp garlic powder
      1 tsp Oregano
      1 30 oz can White Hominy drained and rinsed
      1 large white onion diced medium

Destem and deseed the chiles (I included a picture of the seeds from one Pasilla- you don't want the seeds in your sauce) and put them in a bowl and pour in 4 cups of boiling water and let that sit for 30 minutes or so.  Put the chiles and some of the water in a blender and blend, adding water as needed to get a pourable sauce.  Combine all ingredients in the Dutch oven with the defatted pork stock.  Bring to a simmer then cover and cook 4 hours at 250. I left it uncovered a lot of the time to get it to thicken more.  After 4 hours this is a tasty stew.  Typical garnishes are cabbage, avocado, thinly sliced radishes, crema, minced onions, cilantro and fried corn tortillas.