iKamand V2 - Is It Good?

Unexpectedly, I received an iKamand V2 as a gift.  I am trying to decide whether to keep it.  I have read lots of terrible reviews on V1, but I only found limited number of reviews on V2.  It appears that many of the issues in V1 have been fixed.  Anyone able to share their experience with V2? 

• 1 month later...

It has been over a week since your post and I don't see any other responses. Have you made a decision? I am definitely considering getting one, based solely on John Setzler's recommendation for using automated heat control and his use of the iKamand.

I have v2. For me it's suitable when I'm doing slow cooking like pulled pork. I can do my own things and check meat temperature when I wantm where ever I am at that moment. I don't have to worry about pit tempeture because iKamand controlling it very well. 

1 hour ago, Old Aviator said:

It has been over a week since your post and I don't see any other responses. Have you made a decision? I am definitely considering getting one, based solely on John Setzler's recommendation for using automated heat control and his use of the iKamand.

I think I like the Flame Boss 500 better.

15 hours ago, Old Aviator said:

John,

based on your preference of monitoring the dome temperature rather than the grill grate temperature, and your maxim of consistency over accuracy, do you recommend placing the pit probe alligator on the dome temp probe?

Thats what I do.  It's still frustrating at best sometimes because even when you do that, the dome thermometer may not match the digital probe.  For most things it won't be off far enough that it makes a difference.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2020 at 10:45 AM, John Setzler said:

I think I like the Flame Boss 500 better.

I would like to purchase a temperature control for my Joe.  I feel from reading reviews that the Flame Boss 500 is a better product at the moment. However I wonder about the future of the ikamand. Since it is specifically designed for the Kamado Joe products, I think they have a great opportunity to include exclusive features. I’ve heard that Komodo Joe has big plans for ikamand.  Does anyone have any ideas what may be in store for the future?

1 hour ago, Cowboys66 said:

I would like to purchase a temperature control for my Joe.  I feel from reading reviews that the Flame Boss 500 is a better product at the moment. However I wonder about the future of the ikamand. Since it is specifically designed for the Kamado Joe products, I think they have a great opportunity to include exclusive features. I’ve heard that Komodo Joe has big plans for ikamand.  Does anyone have any ideas what may be in store for the future?

I don't have any information about the future of the iKamand.  If you have heard about big plans, you definitely know more than I do :)

On 4/24/2020 at 5:37 PM, John Setzler said:

I don't have any information about the future of the iKamand.  If you have heard about big plans, you definitely know more than I do :)

Nope. I don’t know anything. My friend who has a BGE was the first to tell me about the ikamand.  He also thought big plans were in store for the future.   Hoping doesn’t make it true however.  He actually started me down this rabbit hole.  I’ve been a gas guy for over 20 years.  I don’t know what I was thinking?   Anyway I’m not in a big hurry.  I will wait a bit and see what happens. 

6 hours ago, Cowboys66 said:

Nope. I don’t know anything. My friend who has a BGE was the first to tell me about the ikamand.  He also thought big plans were in store for the future.   Hoping doesn’t make it true however.  He actually started me down this rabbit hole.  I’ve been a gas guy for over 20 years.  I don’t know what I was thinking?   Anyway I’m not in a big hurry.  I will wait a bit and see what happens. 

Any "big plans" for the product would likely come in the form of external hardware (that needs to be purchsed seperatly, like a LCD Screen) or Software/App improvments, IMO

I do know when the iKamand was first launched there was a lot of talk about all the different features the app would provide past interfacing with the fan, but i'm not sure how many of them made it into the final product (I dont own one)

The only thing that makes the iKamand specifically suited to a Kamado is the brand on the box